We should all stack our firewood this way . . .

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn't too far off with my estimation then. Since it doesn't look like 6 meters across, I'm figuring on 5. Without giving all the math involved it comes out roughly to 32 and a 1/2 cords of firewood in each pile. (32.46 cords)

Imagine splitting all of that by hand and then stacking it!:msp_scared:

I think in europe they tend to use longer splits that we do... around 1 meter long. That might help with the stability greatly. I wouldnt be afraid to be near them. Think about it... do you think the person who stacked 32 cords of wood would stack it in a way that has a history of falling over? Wood stacked in a circle has much more inherent stability than wood stacked in a straight line.

I think in europe they tend to use longer splits that we do... around 1 meter long. That might help with the stability greatly. I wouldnt be afraid to be near them. Think about it... do you think the person who stacked 32 cords of wood would stack it in a way that has a history of falling over? Wood stacked in a circle has much more inherent stability than wood stacked in a straight line.

Yes and no. Cylindrical stacking techniques actually seem to work best with shorter pieces that are tapered: large end faces out. It is very difficult and time consuming to attempt to stack long pieces radially without having them push one another too far part at the outer surface of the pile, or criss-cross and overlap like elm-grain. You can increase stability by adding a few long pieces amongst the shorter layers (kinda like deadmen in a retaining wall) but they significantly complicate the stacking and layering process, and might not fit your stove when it comes time to actually take the pile down and use it.

It is also important to remember that people do stupid things for stupid reasons. I'm raising my hand :msp_biggrin:. Does climbing 6 meters up a ladder to stack a few pieces of wood at a time sound like it has a history of any great sense or practicality? Those things aren't hollow, by the way, and the insides have to be stacked too... can't just toss 'em in like a wood dumpster- too much interior instability can produce a lot of outward thrust. Ask me how I know:redface:

Perhaps the biggest pain in the ass- after tediously completing a successful stacking process- is taking the **** thing down... I just can't see using 32 cords all at once, and its not the sort of construct you'd wan't to dismantle little by little. Circular piles have VERY LITTLE inherent stability. You ever try to push a 6-foot tall (or 6 meter for that matter) straight line stack of 12" splits over sideways? Of course not, who'd want to:msp_scared: Well that's basically all this is, except it's curved instead of straight, and it ALREADY has a ****load of wood weight pushing it sideways i.e. OUTWARDS!

An interesting project, but don't go trustin' those crazy old Estonian woodfolk. I wouldn't stand within 6 meters of that thing, and I'm Lithuanian!

Stay safe!
:cheers:

Great way to put a lot of wood in a small space. Stacking it must be an art. I want to try, but I never have enough good straight pieces to begin. Limb wood is a #####.

That guy is a dare devil!!! Check out his home made scaffolding around the chimney. Makes the word "chicken ladder" rather appropriate.

Latest posts

Back