Weak log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calamari

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been given the use of a friends homemade log splitter and find it has lots of problems but the main one I want help with is it is the puniest splitter I've ever used. It has a 6.5 hp engine and a Duerr pump that I can't tell if it's one or two stage. When I split a round it will split 10" oak OK but bogs instantly on the bigger 20"+ rounds. The motor doesn't seem to strain like it's going to the second stage. No whine when it's completely bogged.
I took the cap off the spring and ball and it seems OK. The oil level seemed low so I added 1/2 gallon but I don't know how high it should be. I've had oil blow out of other splitters when I filled them up and after the oil got hot so I've left this down about 3" from the fill hole.
I took the pressure adjustment cap off and tried turning the pressure adjustment screw 1/4 turn to the right and felt no resistance. I tried turning the screw a bunch to the right and it didn't move down the threads and when I tried to take it out it didn't travel up the threads.
My questions are:
1. How can I tell if this is a two stage or single stage pump from its appearance?
2. What should the oil level be in the hydraulic tank?
3. Is the pump no good because the pressure valve seems in operative and do they make rebuild kits for Duerr pumps?
Thanks

Back