Wearing shorts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We all wear jeans but my sleeves on my t shirts are cut off or we can just get sleeveless shirts provided from the company . I guess im a spoiled hippy climber but today it was 94°. Its work not a fashion show.
Mostly I wear slacks and shirt but on those dog days in these parts I'll wear whatever keeps me sane. I have worn shorts climbing at times but usually not with chainsaw work as I hate the sawdust in my socks etc

Mostly I wear slacks and shirt but on those dog days in these parts I'll wear whatever keeps me sane. I have worn shorts climbing at times but usually not with chainsaw work as I hate the sawdust in my socks etc

Shirts tucked in it goes in your pants from inside and outside your shirt

I've been thinking about getting a pair of those zipoff pants/shorts for bucket days. Gets hot in there. A little umbrella would be nice. But I always wear pants and long sleeved shirt for sun/scrapes/dust protection even when it's 95 out. Just has to be thin fabric.

Too many blackberries around to risk wearing shorts. Everybody wears company issued sawpants if you want to run a saw (if not you drag and rake), no chaps. Company issued hi viz t-shirts. Tucking in - optional.

Cutting firewood I'll wear shorts. If I have to go into the woods I wear pants. The chips stay out of my sox/boots well enough wearing my saw chaps. I could do it without my chaps though, they would be full. Long sleeve shirt in summer? F that!

I can't believe this is even up for discussion. Explain it away how you please. Shorts while working.. is stupid. And if you showed up to do a job for me wearing them, you'd be sent packing. Real quick.

Been wearing shorts 30 years now while working. Employees also wear shorts. What is the big deal?

It doesn't make sense. And if you're doing any type of climbing whatsoever, you'd beat your legs all to dogshit.
I also have a strong opinion that saw protection should be worn a loft while running a chainsaw. Flame me about the heat all you want. The more expensive pants, you can get by in. They're not near as heavy.
Shorts' appearance are casual. I don't want somebody casually screwing around with my trees. There's something to the old adage "look the part".

Shorts' appearance are casual. I don't want somebody casually screwing around with my trees. There's something to the old adage "look the part".

Exactly! :yes:

You price a job at, whatever, say $1K for the day. Well, there's a reasonable expectation on the part of the person who is going to part with that healthy chunk of change that they are hiring professionals. Shorts, to most consumers I would think, do not "look the part".

Years back, the boss came by on a Saturday and told me to hop in the truck to help with an estimate because the customer was French and my boss is a unilingual blob. I was wearing sandals and told him I needed to get my boots. He said it didn't matter, to just GTF in the truck and let's go. We got to the house, nice place, the guy obviously had money, and rang the bell. He opens the door, we say hello, he looks down at my sandals, and I knew we lost the job on the spot. The next half-hour walking around looking at trees was just a waste of time. A $3K estimate/job down the drain because of a pair of sandals. I've priced hundreds of jobs over the years and I know that's what killed that estimate.

A professional appearance matters.

I can't believe this is even up for discussion. Explain it away how you please. Shorts while working.. is stupid. And if you showed up to do a job for me wearing them, you'd be sent packing. Real quick.
Come here a week I'll have you changing your tune lol. I have been up north buddy no comparison same as your winter we can't compare. August is coming, so far just high 90s few 100 days but 105 and up is coming so come on down you can help drag brush up our goat bluffs in pants we will have emt on red alert lmfao.

Come here a week I'll have you changing your tune lol. I have been up north buddy no comparison same as your winter we can't compare. August is coming, so far just high 90s few 100 days but 105 and up is coming so come on down you can help drag brush up our goat bluffs in pants we will have emt on red alert lmfao.
Yeah it's funny how the Canadians and Alaskans are the most passionate about no shorts. I don't think they are working in 95 degree heat every day during the summer like us farther south. All I think about the last few hours of the workday is going home to put shorts and sandals on and jump in the creek/pool.

Come here a week I'll have you changing your tune lol
Yeah it's funny how the Canadians and Alaskans are the most passionate about no shorts. I don't think they are working in 95 degree heat every day during the summer like us farther south. All I think about the last few hours of the workday is going home to put shorts and sandals on and jump in the creek/pool.
Well when i was up there it got to 95 some days but 6 am it was not 90s like here in the dog days of august.

Yeah, I'ma no shorts guy too, but I live in Montana. We get 100 days but not much hotter. Even at 100 I always have my logger boots and Dickies on though.

I've worn pants and long sleeves in temps over 120°

Worn Kevlar on top of it all in 115° on a gray concrete roof for six hours one time. That was hell.

It isn't the clothes, or lack of them that get you through the heat, it's conditioning your body and staying hydrated. If you start your day with coffee and end your day with beer the heat will be far harder on you.

I've spent summers in Idaho (120*), Houston, TX, San Antonio, & North Carolina... have never worn shorts.

It was 85* here today, 105* in the sun. I cut and stacked wood most of the day, and spent the rest working on equipment. In pants.
Am I sweaty? Yup, but I can work up a sweat at 50* if I move around quick enough.

Did I drink 1/2 a case of bottled water? Yup.

Am I going to wear shorts? Nope, aside from my undies.. in bed.

I couldn't imagine the amount of sawdust and dirt that'd go in my boots if I didn't have pants on. It's bad enough as is.

We certainly don't get as much of the heat as you do, and thank God for that, but the humidity here is death. Like it will be today. Yay! :oops:

As far as extremes go, I've shovelled roofs at -40F, and done trees from -30F to 11oF. That's a pretty good range. And, as stated, always in the same boots with two pairs of wool socks. And pants, not shorts.

Latest posts

Back