Wearing shorts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is getting good. Arguing over shorts and VF calling somebdy an idiot, not sure which is funnier[emoji1]
Well down here in the south we don't use sayings like mouth breather, so bad eyes and long week of brutal heat but not yet wearing shorts heat and its easy to see how I goofed.

Unless of course you do not understand our lingo stays pure!!

Well down here in the south we don't use sayings like mouth breather, so bad eyes and long week of brutal heat but not yet wearing shorts heat and its easy to see how I goofed.

Unless of course you do not understand our lingo stays pure!!

VF calling ANYONE an idiot is like the pot calling the kettle black. The rest of you are ok[emoji1]

In my area shorts would look unprofessional. I would say though that it's probably a regional thing as well though. I can see that where Rope lives that it would be an accepted practice by the residents. I also can't see Rope out there climbing in a pair of gym shorts. I'm also gonna guess that on the days that are "hot" , one would tend to pic a more suitable job for shorts. Stumps, loading wood, final cleanup, light pruning maybe?
We don't get the long heat spells like you southern guys but we definatly get the humidity. Yesterday was low 90's with around 85% humidity. I was working at home and soaked through everything within the first hour. I drank two gallons of water in four hours and continued about half that for the next four. I also drink 32 ounces of Gatorade every morning and before bed. I'm thinking of switching to Pedialite to cut back on the sugar.
Rope have you ever heard of coolvest?
http://www.glaciertek.com/default.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1
Been thinking about getting one and I know quite a few arbs around the country that love them. A bit pricey but could be well worth it
Thanks, I'm looking into one of those soon. Looks like it might be the key to staying cool

I don't even see how shorts are an argument.. I'm honestly baffled. I know dudes in Barbados who climb in chain pants all day. Drink water, don't over exert yourself, it's simple. Any doctor who says "go do tree work in shorts" is a quack. Or, as I suspect, that was never said, AT ALL.

I don't even see how shorts are an argument.. I'm honestly baffled. I know dudes in Barbados who climb in chain pants all day. Drink water, don't over exert yourself, it's simple. Any doctor who says "go do tree work in shorts" is a quack. Or, as I suspect, that was never said, AT ALL.
Look kid; I climbed in jeans 35 years, in 2012 we had super extreme conditions that you never would understand. In your 50s after heat and 16 hour days for years my body finally said no. If you have never had 28% kidney function and in the hospital 2 days then you will just stay baffled, I have; so I know wtf I'm talking about. Anyway a few peeps here had good suggestions, treebilly etc, thanks that some offer solutions while others post ignorant rants of fashion preferences which have no relativity of pro vrs hack .

Blah blah blah. Sounds like more excuses. You've always got some super dramatic story. I smell bull.
You so remind me of another member, wood blower or holder I think he was called. Anyway the reason you smell bull is its right under your nose. I am not a liar son; if I tell you I took a ride in an ambulance with 28% kidney function for two days you can rest assured it happened.

You so remind me of another member, wood blower or holder I think he was called. Anyway the reason you smell bull is its right under your nose. I am not a liar son; if I tell you I took a ride in an ambulance with 28% kidney function for two days you can rest assured it happened.
:bowdown:
my 1st job was holding the ladder while short shorts & no undies hippy bloke went above me working the tree,,,, so looking up was no joy :(
:lol: bummer, bro.

I agree with that. There are other things that could be a reason though. When I was doing concrete work we would have to wear hard hats on site. Even after all the trucks and equipment was gone and we would be scrubbing a 300 yard floor pour. Our biggest overhead hazard would be a bird crapping on us. We had to wear a minimum four inch sleeve on our shirts for OSHA compliance.

I was just passing along what Butch suggested to me last year when I ended up sick as hell from the heat. :drinkingcoffee:
Yes well that's the idea, I mean really almost everything is passed along. I mean climbers didn't just see trees not regaining turgid leaves one mourning and all call it permanent wilting point. Sure someone came up with the name and symptoms but those findings were passed along collectively. I am strongly contemplating the vest and extra pack so it can stay ready throughout dog days. Thanks for the heads up now selling 350.00 to my wife :surprised3:

I wasn't trying to single anyone out.

Nothin' but respect for Rope

Mostly I was coming from what I have to preach to new hires. Kids that grew up in a house with AC, mom ran them around in a car with AC, they sat in schools with AC, went to colleges with AC, and then they need a paying job and come to work for me.

I've heard things like "I never drink water, that just doesn't work for me, I have to have juice or powerade" Or another one that got a guy fired "Drinking water just makes me sweat and I don't like to sweat so I don't drink water." I fired him because we were working in 97° and high humidity and I hadn't seen him drink anything all morning. I fired him and gave him a bottle of cold water and a ride home, not having anyone die on my watch if I can help it.

They also complain about pants, old hands at the work do too, I tell them they are free to wear what they want except for when they're working for me and then they follow the dress code. I've got my reasons, safety and comfort are part of those reasons.

I had to learn to wear pants, I grew up wearing shorts and still like them, except for when I'm doing tree work.

Oh, and Rope, indulge my braggadocious side, worked in temps over 98° for five months one summer, and three weeks of temps over 110°, four days in a row it hit 114°, 115°, 116° and then 113° All it did was make me move where they get snow!:cold:

I wasn't trying to single anyone out.

Nothin' but respect for Rope

Mostly I was coming from what I have to preach to new hires. Kids that grew up in a house with AC, mom ran them around in a car with AC, they sat in schools with AC, went to colleges with AC, and then they need a paying job and come to work for me.

I've heard things like "I never drink water, that just doesn't work for me, I have to have juice or powerade" Or another one that got a guy fired "Drinking water just makes me sweat and I don't like to sweat so I don't drink water." I fired him because we were working in 97° and high humidity and I hadn't seen him drink anything all morning. I fired him and gave him a bottle of cold water and a ride home, not having anyone die on my watch if I can help it.

They also complain about pants, old hands at the work do too, I tell them they are free to wear what they want except for when they're working for me and then they follow the dress code. I've got my reasons, safety and comfort are part of those reasons.

I had to learn to wear pants, I grew up wearing shorts and still like them, except for when I'm doing tree work.

Oh, and Rope, indulge my braggadocious side, worked in temps over 98° for five months one summer, and three weeks of temps over 110°, four days in a row it hit 114°, 115°, 116° and then 113° All it did was make me move where they get snow!:cold:
Lol yup, move is key but hard to give up my permaculture I been setting up on the farm! Truthfully, I seldom and" i'm serious" wear shorts but weeks in the later of your post; I do, if I must work. The vest thing might be the ticket and its getting busy and hot so my finger is on the trigger, if I pull it I will let anyone know how it helps here!

Back