Weather/Reschedule Policy Needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeBark

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Im in need of a bad weather, equiptment repair, rescheduling policy. Im covered up in work. Somehow my customers are not very friendly when I have to reschedule due to things beyond my control. Everyone wants their job done today!, or yesterday!! Last week, it rained 1/2 the morning throwing me out of work, so I pulled the chipper in for maintance during the rain, ended up working on it all day, and throwing me off 2 jobs. Hopefully can work 1 in this Friday. But the other will be the end of the month. The man says, oh, I needed them trimmed before the leaves fall. I hate to lose the work, but I just dont have an extra day, even on Sat. Im pretty much booked solid for 2 mths. I just started the business back up after doing another type of work for the past 10yrs. Within a month of starting Im booked, and no one wants to wait 2 mths. Im starting to loose a few jobs. I have left a few days open for make up work, and repair, but somehow it still does not seem to be enough time. Cant afford to add more workers, or equiptment right now. I just pulled my ad's out of our 2 local papers today, and took up a bunch of yard signs. My phone is about to drive me crazy with estimates, and Im going from daylight till dark. So, is eveyone else like this? your input would be helpful. Thanks:bang:

Sounds like you are not so much arborist 101 grasshopper! We all aspire to be covered up with work, not being able to get to them all. I would say if you are in that high of demand, your not so much arborist 101! :)

Work hard and get to all you can. Filter out the nut jobs! :D

Last edited:
haha...

thats awesome...enjoy the times when your this booked up...thats awesome...good luck with it all.

If your this busy...you can afford another man or two...to help speed up things???

Just a thought, are you working to cheaply and that is why demand is so high? Of course if you are the only operator in town, they will have to wait, but you definitly do not want to be the lowest price in town to increase your volume. Be careful.

Hopefully not too cheap

I probaly average $500 a day. I usually try to make 1500 to 2000 a week. Does that sound about right. I know Im not the highest guy in town, but not the lowest either. I do regular advertising, and know alot of people. I could stand to go up a little probaly. All my customers tell me the other tree guys dont call them back or want show up.

"Hopefully not too cheap" $500 a day ??? is that net or Gross ??? are you working by your self or do you have help and if so how many peolpe do you run ???

Beyond is you have employees or not...what type of equipment are you running??

or let me ask this...what is your over head a month?

well i dont no if that is the right question...rain....more like what type of rain...

I mean heck i am from San Diego...

i go to school in Northern California

what we consider a rain in San Diego...is a sprinkle in Sonoma County...its not that drastic...but i think my point it made

True-but what i'm saying is if you are so backed up, you either work dawn to dusk, rain, snow, or shine, or you start turning down jobs. You keep putting off people's work and your name and reputation start taking a nosedive. And soon you will have no work. I guess what i'm saying is do what you have to do to get the job you contracted for done, or you won't be getting any more contracts.

you sound as busy as we are. although I don't complain about it. I hire more help and raise prices during prime points of the year(fall being one of them) to slow demand a bit to make those 12hr days worthwhile.

If you are only getting $1500 worth of work done a week. this should be done per day, not per week. We sometimes do this per day, per crew. With three crews = $4500+ per day.

Run multiple crews. Hire salesman. Buy more trucks, bigger chippers, stumper, skidsteers. Get it done.

As for rain. We keep on working unless we see or hear lightning. Anyone that is afraid to get wet, especially when its 85 degrees, can go find another job.

True-but what i'm saying is if you are so backed up, you either work dawn to dusk, rain, snow, or shine, or you start turning down jobs. You keep putting off people's work and your name and reputation start taking a nosedive. And soon you will have no work. I guess what i'm saying is do what you have to do to get the job you contracted for done, or you won't be getting any more contracts.

Ya you make a very valid point, and i definetly have to agree....dont want to get a bad name out there...heck refernce in my eyes is the best advertisment.

So, no one has a bad weather or break down policy? Thats what Im really asking. I am running a 55 ft bucket, chipper. Front end loader & trailer. I also sell my logs. My brother does help me 2 3 days a week. Its not that I cant work in the rain, its that I just dont want too unless its necessary.

So, no one has a bad weather or break down policy? Thats what Im really asking.

Try to not schedule any work for one day of the week. I prefer to keep Mondays open for estimates & any cleanup/stumps left from the weekend.
Having this day helps in case of a rain day, then shift the work around to cover the day. Just throwing the thought out there.

So, no one has a bad weather or break down policy? Thats what Im really asking.

Bad weather policy-not really. We don't climb in thunderstorms but usually give them an hour or two and they are past. High wind will shut us down now and then but usually only a couple times a year. Any other type of weather, we are out in it. Have worked with a good sized company for alot of years now and am kind of spoiled on equipment these days-always have top of the line equipment and if something breaks down, go back to the yard and grab a spare. However, back in my early days, i worked with some tiny outfits-chuck and duck break down and you had some serious problems. However, the owners always seemed to find a way to get the job done and keep the customer happy. Whether that meant dicing the brush in the back of the chip truck, or renting a chipper from another outfit, or even subcontracting the chipping to another company. And this time of year, the days are getting shorter-dark by 7'ish, that leaves several hours every night for repair and maintenance when it's to dark to do tree work or even bid.

we do the best we can, as soon as the truck is fixed your next. might be a couple of days I'll call as soon as we can get there. or its awful wet don't cause any damage or get any one hurt. thats OK I hope. if there expecting you, call them. If you do your best and it ain't good enough.......go to next on the list

Already booking into spring of 2008. Right now our waiting list of scheduled work is 5-6 weeks dependent on conditions. When a customer cancels we bump-up the next one. Repairs are always an issue, just do the best you can.Customer referrals , golf courses, cemeteries,apartment complexes & retirement communities halve been our mainstay ! The real yellowpages cause headaches due to bidding wars. They also generate loads of new customers. If you can't create a substantial profit vs. overhead then we simply do not want their business.

the back of our contracts read like this hope it helps

CONTRACT TERMS:

• S&C is not responsible for delays due to weather, labor disputes, civil unrest, war or availability of materials.

• S&C will execute normal and responsible care during all phases of trimming and or removal during this project.

• S&C shall not be held liable for any consequential damages to the premises and or site.

• S&C sign is to be displayed on property for identification to sub-contractors, delivery personnel and city inspectors.

• Any additional work required will be performed on a time and material bases at a rate of $65.00 per Hour per man.

• All invoices are due and payable upon receipt.

• Ten- (10) percent late fee will be charged on a daily basis on all unpaid invoices.

• Owners will be responsible for maintaining security of the premises during the project and limit access to authorized individuals.

• It is the Owners responsibly to mark all underground utilities and sprinkler systems S&C will not be held liable for damage to unmarked items.

• It is the Owners responsibly to obtain any necessary permits.

• It is the Owners responsibly to provide S&C with access to the site. S&C reserves the right to charge for lost time if the site is not readily accessible.

• S&C reserves the right to charge for lost time due to disputes with tree lovers.

• Should it become necessary for a member of S&C to go to court on your behalf You will be charged $800 per day per man + any and all attorneys fees.

our 911 contracts read like this

front

EMERGENCY SERVICE WORK REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ACTION. ALL EMERGENCY SERVICE WORK WILL BE PERFORMED ON A TIME AND MATERIAL BASIS AT A RATE OF $ PER HR. PER MAN + ANY AND ALL EXPENSES.
THE OWNER(OR AGENT) UNDERSTANDS THAT S&C TREE SERVICE AND/OR IT'S AFFILIATES ARE WORKING ON THEIR BEHALF TO MINIMIZE DAMAGE IN ADVERSE AND DANGEROUS WORKING CONDITIONS;AND,FURTHERMORE UNDERSTANDS THERE MAY BE SUBSEQUENT AND/OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES TO THE SITE AND/OR ADJACENT PROPERTIES; AND,THEREFORE ASSUMES FULL RESPONSIBILITY.

rear
EMERGENCY SERVICE CONTRACT
TERMS AND CONDITIONS

• S&C will execute normal and responsible care during all phases of this project.

• S&C reserves the right to stop work at any time during this project, if at its discretion, it becomes unsafe to continue without repercussions and will resume work when S&C deems it is safe to continue.

• S&C reserves the right to stop work once the hazard, in its opinion, has been eliminated (but makes no warranties as to the safety and/or stability of the area) and will continue clean up proceedings at a later date as time and weather allow.

• S&C shall not be held liable for any subsequent or consequential bodily injuries, damages to the premises or property and/or adjacent premises or properties.

• S&C shall not be held liable for delays due to weather, labor disputes, civil unrest, war, or availability of materials, manpower or equipment.

• All invoices are due and payable upon receipt.

• A ten (10%) percent late fee will be charged on a daily basis on all unpaid invoices.

• The Owner (or Agent) is responsible for maintaining security of the premises during the project and limiting access to authorized individuals.

• It is the Owners responsibly to provide S&C with access to the site. S&C reserves the right to charge for lost time if the site is not readily accessible.

• Should it become necessary for a member of S&C to go to court on your behalf, you will be charged $800 per day per man + any and all attorney fees.

ACKNOWLEDGED_______DATE____________

Back