Web Site that explain Stihl model numbers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshRountree

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
You'll have to forgive me for my ignorance, but I'm trying to undertand Stihl's model numbers and how old model numbers line up with newer model numbers.

Is there a website that explains all the different model numbers? For instance in the "What do you think Stihls best saw is?" thread I see several people mention the 1996 066 Magnum. Is the size of this saw the same as the MS660 that's sold now, 91.6 cc (5.6 cu. in.)? I'm assuming the 044 is the same as the MS440, and the 088 is the same is the MS880.

Just wondering what the difference is. Also are there magnum and none magnum versions? I'm assuming the magnums might have more power?

Thanks, I'm still learning.

There is no set rhyme or reason for all of it, so there is no "chart"
Farmboss, Woodboss, Magnum, Super, etc
Sometimes the only difference is just the logo, sometimes it just has a
decomp valve, sometimes a larger piston.
The switch to the MS numbers is not absolute either, as the 031 and the MS310 are totally different saws.

Last edited:
BloodOnTheIce loves this question....

According to resources, the numbers are made up my Mr. Hans Peter Stihl himself, and other than to tell the models apart, the numbers mean absolutely nothing.

The numbers usually change when something about the saw changes (ie. 036, MS360, MS361, MS362). But there is no correlation between the specs or number. The number just stands for what model the saw is, and nothing more. :)

Last edited:
That's not completely true, and there's been a lot of speculation about what part numbers mean in Stihl's system. I've been dealing with Stihl's numbering system for 20 years and here's what I've learned about it:

The first four numbers are a model family number. The second set of three numbers is a part classification number. The last four numbers are a part series number. Sometimes the part series number is only used for reference at the factory, i.e. the numbers cast into crankcase halves and certain large plastic parts like fuel tanks. So let's look at a part number and break it down:

1122 664 0506. This is the part number for the inside HD felling dawg (spiked bumper) on an 066/MS-660.

1122 indicates the model family which is 064/066/MS-640/MS-650/MS-660.

664 indicates a PTO side part family grouping number, in this case a spiked bumper. Spiked bumpers for other models of saws will also have the 664 part classification number (i.e. 1110 664 0501 which is a spiked bumper suitable to a number of saws, like the 034/036, 026/MS-260, 040, 041, etc.)

0506 indicates a part series number, advanced numbers of which indicate a superseded part or an "improved" part which has replaced previous parts. The spiked bumper available on the first model of saw in this family, 064, was a small part that was quickly rendered obsolete because it didn't function well. It had a part number of 1122 664 0500, the first in this part series.

Other parts which are related to each other usually have the same classification number so that they are stocked in the same area on a dealer's shelf for ease of finding. The inner guide plate also has a classification number of 664 because it's mounted right next to the spiked bumper (i.e. 1122 664 1001.)

Some parts are designed to be used on multiple models. A spiked bumper with the part number 1122 664 0506 is used on: 064/066/MS-640/MS-650/MS-660/044/MS-440/046/MS-460 and can be retrofitted to some of the smaller saws.

Last edited:
Jacob you are expounding on the meaning of "part" numbers, he was asking about the meaning of model numbers, and the terms like "magnum" and "Super".

Jacob you are expounding on the meaning of "part" numbers, he was asking about the meaning of model numbers, and the terms like "magnum" and "Super".

I gotcha. Yeah, Magnum and Super really don't mean a lot. I think they stole those terms from Clint Eastwood movies.

The model numbers do or did have a real correlation, at least back in the day. I believe the correlation was BHP.

The model numbers do or did have a real correlation, at least back in the day. I believe the correlation was BHP.

Best theory I have read, so far - but even that one doesn't really add up!

It fits well on some old saws, and lots of 1970-80s ones sort of adds up as well. A few newer ones are close as well (like 064 and 088), but a lot of newer ones (like 034, 036, 026, 044, 046), and also some older ones (like the 07 and 08) doesn't fit in at all......

Last edited:
You'll have to forgive me for my ignorance, but I'm trying to undertand Stihl's model numbers and how old model numbers line up with newer model numbers.

Is there a website that explains all the different model numbers? For instance in the "What do you think Stihls best saw is?" thread I see several people mention the 1996 066 Magnum. Is the size of this saw the same as the MS660 that's sold now, 91.6 cc (5.6 cu. in.)? I'm assuming the 044 is the same as the MS440, and the 088 is the same is the MS880.

Just wondering what the difference is. Also are there magnum and none magnum versions? I'm assuming the magnums might have more power?

Thanks, I'm still learning.

start
http://www.getsaws.com/S_specs.html

I always heard from the old timers that the model #'s were pretty close to cubic inches of saws (supers variations kind of change things). Will have to check it out.

Last edited:
I always here from the old timers that the model #'s were pretty close to cubic inches of saws (supers variations kind of change things). Will have to check it out.

Yep, I'm pretty sure that's it. It's not exact though, but the general trend is there.

020 = 2.15 ci

031 = 2.93 ci

041 = 3.72 ci
Super = 4.4 ci

045 = 4.57 ci

051 = 5.42 ci

056 = 5.3 ci
Magnum = 5.7 ci

070 = 6.47 ci

075/6 = 6.77 ci

090 = 8.36 ci

I think they made the numbers close to the CID, but perhaps changed them a bit to make the numbering "fit" in the model lineup better as far as relative performance is concerned (and with marketing in mind as well, of course).

Newer saws totally throw a wrench in the gears though, and seem like they're numbered more on the performance scale than anything else. For example, an 066 is only 5.58 ci, but perhaps it performs more like 6.6 ci when compared to the older saws like the 051 and 056 Mag II. Just a theory.

Very informative guys!!! I've been wondering alot of the same stuff about stihl. At least now I've got some idea. I'm use to the Husky line up, its really quite simple to understand.

I gotcha. Yeah, Magnum and Super really don't mean a lot. I think they stole those terms from Clint Eastwood movies.

on the old models the magnum and super do mean a lot

in 1964 the first "super was introduced. 106cc became 137cc.

the 056 was 52 or 54 mm and the magnum was 56mm

the 041 was 44mm and the 041 super is 48mm

thats just the start to the super and mag differences on the models that sported that title.

I think the new mags are the confusing ones.

I recently purchased a brand new 460 mag to send to a freind and 3 different dealers could not explain to me what made the mag different from a standard 460..

maybe I am just dense ...........

Last edited:
In the modern saws, The Magnum designation means differences in small things like cylinder base gasket, carburetor jetting, self-advancing ignition, dawg size, etc.

It's all very technical now, as opposed to thirty years ago when they'd just give a saw another 20cc displacement. :monkey:

Back