Web Site that explain Stihl model numbers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Acres site for all the specs on Stihl saws. Those little words next to model numbers, like "Super" and "Magnum," mean everything in most cases. Mostly just in terms of displacement (not always), but can mean other things as well.
MS290 vs. 029 Super. Same displacement, but the port work is much different between the two. Higher compression in the Super as well if memory serves me correctly.
056 vs. 056 Super vs. 056 Magnum. I can't remember the differences in displacement, but they are significant enough to justify the "Super" or "Magnum."
MS310 vs. 031. Absolutely nothing in common, but the brand.

Hope this helps, but if it doesn't- there is a lot of other good advice in this thread. :):)

Last edited:
I have been collecting stihl ads as well as many other chainsaw ads and lit for a few years now. I have a lot more to scan yet but have been sending them to acres to post with the models.

the old ads tell the story.

84stilz.jpg

74stihl.jpg

hey JJ, what model is this one??? :monkey:

971106.jpg

I have been collecting stihl ads as well as many other chainsaw ads and lit for a few years now. I have a lot more to scan yet but have been sending them to acres to post with the models.

the old ads tell the story.

Why don't they have an 090AVSEQZ? :( :confused:

hey JJ, what model is this one??? :monkey:

I remember reading about that one. Apparently they used a Motoplat ignition + flywheel and a pull-starter from a Hodaka dirt bike.

The cylinder head is a custom jobber. It has a stroker crank and a 68mm dual thin-ring piston...

having worked with and for German companies, they think in the metric system like most of the world. the cubic inch - model number correlation is pure coincidence
think of some of the other saw manufacturers, you can see a close correlation to their model # and CCs

Latest posts

Back