Wedge and pull or jack?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCfirewood

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok here goes, I am trying to decide between cabling the tops together, wedging the one close to the haouse and using the other to pull it or just drop the one farthest from the house and then jack the one closest. Opinions welc20160310_164112.jpg ome.

You can't see it in the first photo but the tree is weighted and actually leaning a little more towards where I was standing when I took the picture. I will post another angle. As for the tarp, the top is fastened to my deck and covering my seasoned wood. Haven't built my wood shed yet. I will have to move half of the stack. As for experience, I am not a professional arborist by any means but I have been running a chainsaw since I was 8 or 9 and felling trees since my teens. I am 39 now. I have actaully successfully removed several that were worse than this. Including the third leg of this tree when it actually broke towards the house and deck in a storm. We were fortunate then. This tree is wreaking havoc on my pool and threatening the house so it must come down. It is small for a jack. 15" near the base. With further thought, I may be better off removing the limb/top that is over the house by pulling with a cable and my truck and then the larger on that runs in front of and over the house. If I can get those down safely, then wedging would do the rest. This is tomorrows project so I will be posting photos of either the tree where I want it in my yard or disaster. I won't leave you guys hanging.20160310_165233.jpg 20160310_165233.jpg

Looks a bit dodgy, Troy. I wish I could help, but I'm a just a humble H/o! so I'd just git ya in trouble. I could not handle it without a bucket truck and a pole saw:confused: to reduce the trouble bit by bit. Or in other words, I'd hire a pro.The risk would not be worth it to me.

A rope and two heavy duty ratchet straps should fix that problem. tie the rope as high as you can get it on the stem, and make knots on the rope to hook up the straps. Tighten one ratchet strap at a time.

Ah I wasn't out to prove anything. Only reason I posted the thread was to see if any of the guys that do this for a living had any advice. I was confident that it would end up right where it is laying but sometimes others can spot potential issues pretty quick. Thank the Lord it all worked out.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back