Wedge Pouch?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that looks like the smae as my one from bailey's it worked for many years, I patched it with leather once the outside bottom edge wore out, and used it some more. I replaced before it was totally shot so it could be used again for 2 months or so in a pich. Agreed, the tape goes straight on the belt. My latest is alo leather, comed from Madsen's, its good too, wouldn't really say better or worse, it works, but I haven't chased cows around my whole life when not cutting massive goosepen OG like 2dogs so maybe I just don't know as much about cowhide.

Dern right you don't know your cowhide!

I live across the street from a leather wholesaler so I can get all the leather I want for free. The leather goes mostly to high end bags and purses so it is nice stuff. Too bad I suck at leather work. Still I made a pouch for my wildland gear that holds 2 ten inch wedges securely. It is a simple "Z" shape, that is one piece of leather folded over about 4" for the belt loop and 9" for the pouch. The pouch is copper riveted closed and the belt loop has heavy snaps.

BTW my neighbor constantly travels the world selling leather and the next big thing is camel leather. The hides are from camels to old to work, 15-20 years old, and scarred from work and insects. He says the leather is much stronger than cowhide and should be seen in "tactical" footwear soon.

Thanks for the reply. I finally pulled the trigger and got me another leather pouch from Bailey's. Mingo that green wedge looks like it's took a whooping :rock:

The orange one is an 8" from Madsens I carry 2, but I lost one today. The red one is a K&H 10" triple taper, and the green one is a 10" from Baileys.

Just cut the top of a bottle of Canola oil and put your belt loop through the handle, you bunch 'a pussies.

:agree2:
:popcorn:

The big problem with the leather wedge pouch's is the need oil like you boots. My old one is still solid as heck.

Wedges

I know and work with guys that use wedge pouches. Personally I don't like how they smack my ass every time I take a step. My setup: 2-12" Hard Heads left back pocket of carhartts, right back pocket: 1 12" K/H and a 8" K/H for the little guys. Small tree (sometimes part of it): first grab 8" K/H, only going to need one if you can corner cut or put the back in first. Bigger tree, first grab 12" K/H then follow up with Hard Heads as needed. Use suspenders on your pants, it keeps your wedge heavy pants up and also your inserts up (chaps suck). If this doesn't get it done, follow up with hard heads or a tree jack or both (cut a jack hole if you see it coming or don't feel like a struggle). Chase the tree you're jacking with wedges. Or shoot a line into the tree and pull it with your loader, if you are set up this way. 5/8 or bigger though if your pulling with something that has an engine. 3/4 or amsteel if pulling with a equipment (bigger than your diesel pickup). All is preference but this is what I use, and less seems to be more much of the time. Watch out for wanker comments that think that 32 inch trees are big.

Hey Faller you sound like this guy I know. Any chance you are about fourteen feet tall and weigh about 150 pounds? You prolly are not him, he tends to blow a lotta smoke.

Not me but...

I know the guy. Maybe 16feet tall 110lbs. Drinking problem/semi retarded. Got a bunch of half-wit sayins like "No stoppin the droppin" or other retarded sht. Sound like we are talking about the same guy? At least his mom listens to him, maybe.
Just be glad that you are "the dude", and not his sorry ass.

Just cut the top of a bottle of Canola oil and put your belt loop through the handle, you bunch 'a pussies.

:agree2:
:popcorn:

Took your advice, but it was raining the other day and the jug filled with water and got really heavy, had to walk with saw and fuel jugs in one hand and hold my pants up with the other.

Do you stop and tip water out every so often or cut holes or slots in the bottom, just wondering.

Will a rectangular type jug like an anti-freeze jug work for an Axe scabbard?

LOL,

Sam

Took your advice, but it was raining the other day and the jug filled with water and got really heavy, had to walk with saw and fuel jugs in one hand and hold my pants up with the other.

Do you stop and tip water out every so often or cut holes or slots in the bottom, just wondering.

Will a rectangular type jug like an anti-freeze jug work for an Axe scabbard?

LOL,

Sam

####, just loop your belt through an old pair of whitey tighties, sew up the leg holes, and fill er with wedges, as for an axe scabbard, just fashion one from a Priority Mail Flat Rate box duct taped to your belt :D

Screw Wedges

My friend M.F. has a whole bunch of tattoos, and he is a badass. He doesn't use a wedge pouch or wedges, instead he glances down at his 1/2 scale silvey tree jack tattoo and punches the tree over. Cheaper/faster.

Well, heres mine. I wear it 5-6 days a week. Single carpenters pouch that I ran some small (M5) pan head bolts through with nylon stop nuts to make smaller pockets. Carb screwdriver keeps the tape tight also. One 12", two 10"ers and an 8" wedge in there. 3" belt leather with 4 small pan head bolts and nylon stop nuts for the axe loop. The nylon pouch on the right holds 2-3 chains, extra bar nuts, a small back up scrench, and a candy/granola bar or two. It has a contious loop that I feed onto the belt. That pouch came in a 3 pack at menards for $10 bucks. Wild ass bachelor buttons for the suspenders. I have lost a button or two but I keep back ups in the truck and just tap a new one on when I need one. When the pouch slaps me in the ass it reminds me of home. Axe weighs 4 pounds/20" handle. Just enough to get a good full swing, but short enough not to get caught on every damn thing in the woods. Also easy enough to swing one handed yet.

attachment.php

View attachment 206028

Well, heres mine. I wear it 5-6 days a week. Single carpenters pouch that I ran some small (M5) pan head bolts through with nylon stop nuts to make smaller pockets. Carb screwdriver keeps the tape tight also. One 12", two 10"ers and an 8" wedge in there. 3" belt leather with 4 small pan head bolts and nylon stop nuts for the axe loop. The nylon pouch on the right holds 2-3 chains, extra bar nuts, a small back up scrench, and a candy/granola bar or two. It has a contious loop that I feed onto the belt. That pouch came in a 3 pack at menards for $10 bucks. Wild ass bachelor buttons for the suspenders. I have lost a button or two but I keep back ups in the truck and just tap a new one on when I need one. When the pouch slaps me in the ass it reminds me of home. Axe weighs 4 pounds/20" handle. Just enough to get a good full swing, but short enough not to get caught on every damn thing in the woods. Also easy enough to swing one handed yet.

attachment.php

View attachment 206028

Bitzer, thats a great setup there.

Sam

Back