Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my early days of woods work there were aluminum wedges available, my dad had a few but the got beat to death and forgotten, sold by Oregon I think.
Still some out there. Searching for 'aluminum wedges' also brings up a lot of small wedges, which look like they are intended for demolition work, or leveling large machines. And some pretty expensive felling wedges ($30-$80 each!!!).

Found these (also sold individually on Amazon):
Grandview Aluminum Products - http://www.gapalum.com/chainsawwedges.html
Some look heavy to carry, but affordable enough for me to forget casting my own!

That system does not work well. One can only use limbs and must be cut semi parallel to grain going length wise
I'm waiting for the Ted photo / videos!

Philbert

Still some out there. Searching for 'aluminum wedges' also brings up a lot of small wedges, which look like they are intended for demolition work, or leveling large machines. And some pretty expensive felling wedges ($30-$80 each!!!).

Found these (also sold individually on Amazon):
Grandview Aluminum Products - http://www.gapalum.com/chainsawwedges.html
Some look heavy to carry, but affordable enough for me to forget casting my own!

I'm waiting for the Ted photo / videos!

Philbert
The ones my dad had were made in the 50`s, they were natural cast aluminum colored with a black band on the top blunt end, best I can remember they had OREGON either stamped or cast in the wedge. I havn`t seen one for like 50 years so my memory may be a bit off specifics but we did have at least 3 of them in the chainsaw & equipment box. I wouldn`t use them as I did not like carrying extra things and keeping track of them, my saw and pole ax was all I wanted to keep track of when wading through brush and tree limbs waist high.

Next time I am home and in the oldest storage building we have, that is where all the old stuiff gets tucked away I will look to see if one survived, I can remember them being very mushroomed from being pounded on by a 3.5 lb pole ax. There was one in a fair amount better condition than the others, may still be able to see the makers name. They were available from our local Pioneer dealer , they also carried a lot of Oregon and Windsor chainsaw accessories.

Here are some images of aluminum wedges I recently pulled off of Google, etc. Like plastic wedges, there are different sizes, styles, etc.

Philbert

Attachments

• Screen shot 2020-12-31 at 2.01.57 PM.png
    Screen shot 2020-12-31 at 2.01.57 PM.png
    255.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Screen shot 2020-12-31 at 2.02.33 PM.png
    Screen shot 2020-12-31 at 2.02.33 PM.png
    122.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Screen shot 2020-12-31 at 2.03.53 PM.png
    Screen shot 2020-12-31 at 2.03.53 PM.png
    134.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Screen shot 2020-12-31 at 2.05.00 PM.png
    Screen shot 2020-12-31 at 2.05.00 PM.png
    139.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Screen shot 2020-12-31 at 2.05.39 PM.png
    Screen shot 2020-12-31 at 2.05.39 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 168
Philbert,

Here is one I picked up to reach a free shipping point. Expensive, but with the free shipping on the stuff I was after it came in about half price. It is actually too thick for my taste so it see little use. Though aluminum the edge is hard and sharp enough to cut.

IMG_3057.JPG
IMG_3056.JPGIMG_3060.JPG

Ron

I'm waiting for the Ted photo / videos! Philbert
Every body knows that at times I am worthless. I will try to get some pics and videos ASAP. At the moment we have a foot and a half of snow with the highs at 34 F. Yes I am selling sticks here and there. Having a little trouble keeping up with pricing though. Oak being sold North of $800 a cord. Philbert I know you can do this. Walk up to a branch that is six inches in diameter. Cut it to where it is three or four feet from tree. Cut left then cut right then from tip about a foot cut cross wise and you have a wedge much better than any thing. Thanks BTW take some pics.

In the pic you posted below the wedges we had were most like #7, it had a black band on the top end with Oregon logo.

screen-shot-2020-12-31-at-2-05-39-pm-png.879124

Plastics have changed a lot of things (ask Benjamin Braddock in 'The Graduate'!)

Plastic 'Double Taper ' brand wedges are credited as the founding product for this company: before that, options were wood, metal (or stone?).
https://pilleraimmco.com/about-us/history-overview
Aside from the different sizes and variations:
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/wedge-profiles-and-names.347809/
I notice when I file these (back to the initial focus of this thread) that there is a big difference in how hard or soft the plastic is among different brands. Some, cheap hardware store brands snap right off if hit off center. Some have a bit of flex to them. Apparently, some plastics are better in colder weather? Maybe this is where wood wedges would work well?
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/wedges-and-cold-weather.223494/
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/winter-wedges.318442/
Philbert

Back to Plastic

Due to a comment in another forum I dug out a double-ended hoof rasp from a pile of garage sale tools to try on a Bailey's WoodlandPro wedge. This was not a new file, but in pretty good shape (Nicholson 12" X 1-1/4", flat on both sides). I had looked at hoof rasps earlier, but the ones I found at farm stores seemed pretty expensive ($30 - $40) at the time.
IMG_0987.jpg

IMG_0992.jpg

This worked pretty well, especially having the coarse side for heavy stock removal, and the finer side for smoothing. But using it side-by-side, I liked the Bahco file better, which was also about half the cost.

I have seen guys using smaller, similar looking '4-in-hand'’ rasps ('shoe rasp'; about 8" X 7/8" and half round), which can also work, and are easier to carry in the field, but do not work nearly as well with the plastic. Good to have options!

Philbert

Attachments

• IMG_0988.jpg
    IMG_0988.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Back