Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Key thing for me was identifying files designed for filing, or work well with, this type of plastic, as opposed to primarily wood or metal. Wider tooth spacing and different angles.

Philbert
I agree and prefer the hoof rasps. Larger teeth and larger spacing. Like yours mine has a rough aggressive side and smoother side. Got a bucket of different styles given to me for blacksmithing. Work nice as hot rasp’s and when worn out they are good knife steel

***SHAMELESS PLUG ***

I summarized most of what I posted above in a video entered in a contest with site sponsor TreeStuff.com. If enough people 'like' my video by 2.28.2021, I might recoup some of the R&D I invest in all these things that I primarily do for the groups that I volunteer with.

Renewing Plastic Wedges

Thanks.

Philbert

Needs a rinse, at least!

Sometimes I 'convert' those into small bucking wedges, that I keep in a pocket, just for getting a saw unstuck when bucking.

Philbert
I like stubby wedges for smaller trees or when the back-cut is only an inch or two deeper than the bar width but I need a wedge. With a stubby large wedge I can get more lift in less space.

I like stubby wedges for smaller trees or when the back-cut is only an inch or two deeper than the bar width but I need a wedge. With a stubby large wedge I can get more lift in less space.
Yes. I keep a variety in my truck. I need to get them all in a bag. Just noticed I’ve got half a pickup load in the back still I’m not cutting right now. Not sure how sunlight affects them long term. There’s a stubby guy that’s chewed up pretty good in there somewhere.

Some of the stubby ones lift more faster too. Handy at times

I don't know how well it works for plastic, but if you are trying to sand down aluminum with a sanding disc or belt, use bar soap on the sandpaper first, the aluminum won't stick to the sandpaper then. When the aluminum removal slows down, hit the sandpaper again with the bar of soap. I use it on flapper wheels when I'm grinding aluminum.

I don't know how well it works for plastic, but if you are trying to sand down aluminum with a sanding disc or belt, use bar soap on the sandpaper first, the aluminum won't stick to the sandpaper then. When the aluminum removal slows down, hit the sandpaper again with the bar of soap. I use it on flapper wheels when I'm grinding aluminum.
Nice tip. I’ll try that.

***SHAMELESS PLUG ***

I summarized most of what I posted above in a video entered in a contest with site sponsor TreeStuff.com. If enough people 'like' my video by 2.28.2021, I might recoup some of the R&D I invest in all these things that I primarily do for the groups that I volunteer with.

Renewing Plastic Wedges

Thanks.

Philbert

@Philbert convinced me I needed another tool. (I probably do.) Am I spending money or saving money??? (Doesn't matter, I'm not married and can afford it.)

1706730481528.png

For reference, these were the files I tried, and would use again (Posts # 30, 31, 39, 56).

I bought these off Amazon (in 2018), but available from other sources, along with other models and brands.

‘Bahco 10-Inch FM10 File Master’ (with Black and Orange handle)

‘Nicholson Hand File, American Pattern, Angled Curved Cut, Rectangular, 8" Length’ (with Black and White handle, sold separately).

Philbert

@Philbert convinced me I needed another tool. (I probably do.) Am I spending money or saving money??? (Doesn't matter, I'm not married and can afford it.)

View attachment 1149250

I've got a bunch of antique ones like that I got for near nothing in tool lots at tag sales.

A few have wooden handles on them almost like a wood plane.

This is not flexible at all.
Might be different files. I did not understand the ‘flexible’ description in the one I purchased new (improvised handle), until I found some used ones, with a holder, at a garage sale.

But, the files I listed above, worked better on the plastic saw wedges.

IMG_6820.jpeg

IMG_6819.jpeg

Philbert

The flexible autobody files are large and heavy to pack in travel bins compared to a Warrensville 32012 14" 8 TPI Mill Curved Tooth Flat File, $31 from L&M Sales PGH on eBay. Sharp as hell, it should reshape plastic wedges and fingers with little effort.

Maybe go with a 10" though, 14" is hard to pack, I'll have to use a removable Nicholson 21474U Universal Handle to keep overall length down for travel.

I'll ask the STIHL dealer what he'll do on wedge prices. Normally I prefer cheap plastic wedges because 6 cheapsters are light to carry in a pouch on the belt, and doing landscaping I'm not felling many trees vs cutting up windfalls so am not banin' the hell out of 'em.

Might be different files. I did not understand the ‘flexible’ description in the one I purchased new (improvised handle), until I found some used ones, with a holder, at a garage sale.

But, the files I listed above, worked better on the plastic saw wedges.

View attachment 1149380

View attachment 1149381

Philbert

Handle sort of like the top one but antique wood like on a plane, nicely made. The file surface is like the ones above

Back