Wedges!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fluting probably has its advantages...less contact surface area to 'stick' while the basic principle of the wedge does the work. I suppose the flutes could do some filling and 'grabbing' with the channel filling with straight grain material, but I thinks it's a good idea to have on the sides of a wedge. No doubt, it's a homemade wedge. If you get tired of it, send it to Ga. If nothing else, I'll backfill the flutes with a MIG welder or stick welder in the shop. ;)
All I know is it splits rounds with abandon.

Stump rounds are always the worst. Put that wedge in and it's over.

turnkey4099
I have never seen a ribbed splitting wedge like that and it appears to be extra large. I have not seen an aluminum wedge in a long time. Interesting pair.

Same here. I like the looks of that ribbed wedge. Must be an oldie as I have never seen one even advertised. I for sure would try one out.

We had one aluminum one back in the early 50s when we had a big ?McCoulogh? gear drive - ex-logger's saw. I wonder when the plastic ones replaced aluminum. The plastics were there when I retired from the AF in 1965.

Harry K

mallardman

mallardman

ArboristSite Operative
Same here. I like the looks of that ribbed wedge. Must be an oldie as I have never seen one even advertised. I for sure would try one out.

We had one aluminum one back in the early 50s when we had a big ?McCoulogh? gear drive - ex-logger's saw. I wonder when the plastic ones replaced aluminum. The plastics were there when I retired from the AF in 1965.

Harry K
I'm not sure how old those aluminum wedges are but they are much older than me. Possibly from the late 50's when my grandpa logged our tree farm for lumber to build his house. They did over half of it with hand saws and then got a hold of a used chain saw to do the rest.

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
We had one aluminum one back in the early 50s . . . I wonder when the plastic ones replaced aluminum.
I'm not sure how old those aluminum wedges are but they are much older than me.

The availability and technology of both plastics and aluminum have changed dramatically since the '50's! I assume that a lot of guys used wood wedges back then*.

EDIT: *For falling and bucking - not necessarily for splitting.

Philbert

turnkey4099
I'm not sure how old those aluminum wedges are but they are much older than me. Possibly from the late 50's when my grandpa logged our tree farm for lumber to build his house. They did over half of it with hand saws and then got a hold of a used chain saw to do the rest.

They probably go back lots farther. They were used to keep from dulling a chain if it got hit. Hitting one wouldn't do the chain much good but at least one could keep cutting. Then the plastics took over that job.

Harry K

milkman

milkman

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Ky. between Dead Horse Holler and Yellowbank.
The availability and technology of both plastics and aluminum have changed dramatically since the '50's! I assume that a lot of guys used wood wedges back then*.

EDIT: *For falling and bucking - not necessarily for splitting.

Philbert

We used to cut fence posts with a cross cut and split them with 2 steel wedges and a wooden wedge that dad called a glut. Locust was easy to split and made good posts.

hardpan

hardpan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Fluting probably has its advantages...less contact surface area to 'stick' while the basic principle of the wedge does the work. I suppose the flutes could do some filling and 'grabbing' with the channel filling with straight grain material, but I thinks it's a good idea to have on the sides of a wedge. No doubt, it's a homemade wedge. If you get tired of it, send it to Ga. If nothing else, I'll backfill the flutes with a MIG welder or stick welder in the shop. ;)

I can imagine a plus and a minus with the flutes. It would be less friction going in but if the wood was misjudged and removal was necessary by knocking it sideways the flutes would likely grab and resist that action. Just a guess. Hey, stand in line, Steve is going to send it to me when he gets tired of it. LOL

I can imagine a plus and a minus with the flutes. It would be less friction going in but if the wood was misjudged and removal was necessary by knocking it sideways the flutes would likely grab and resist that action. Just a guess. Hey, stand in line, Steve is going to send it to me when he gets tired of it. LOL
It has my grandpa's name on the other side, it's not going anywhere!

hardpan

hardpan

Addicted to ArboristSite

Harry K

Confessing my ignorance Harry. I did not see a plastic wedge until probably the mid 70's when I started heating with wood (who could imagine pounding on plastic). My dad used the aluminum ones when I hung out with him in the mid 60's and they rolled over and broke off pretty ugly. The plastic ones are great but the cheap ones are, well, cheap.

Confessing my ignorance Harry. I did not see a plastic wedge until probably the mid 70's when I started heating with wood (who could imagine pounding on plastic). My dad used the aluminum ones when I hung out with him in the mid 60's and they rolled over and broke off pretty ugly. The plastic ones are great but the cheap ones are, well, cheap.
I have a vintage homelite plastic wedge. I felt bad hammering on it the first time.

hardpan

hardpan

Addicted to ArboristSite
We used to cut fence posts with a cross cut and split them with 2 steel wedges and a wooden wedge that dad called a glut. Locust was easy to split and made good posts.

Those locust posts. I was once assigned the job of cutting up the locust trees in a brush pile after the backhoe operator pulled it apart, terrible hard wood. The hoe operator told me he could take me to a fence line he helped with 40 years earlier and it was as strong as new. They put the posts in upside down and that was required by his dad and grand dad.

hardpan

hardpan

Addicted to ArboristSite
I never seem to make enough of these in my shop for felling and bucking:

I add a strip of paint so they don't get lost. I rip 2" thick oak at about 7 degrees from a 10" long blank and then square up the top.

What do you hit them with Doc? Guessing a big faced hammer. I could do well with them while bucking because I use a big, plastic, deadblow Snap-on hammer. Perfect and cost effective for a guy with a good saw and jig or had a friend so equipped.
Just wondering, have you experimented with more split resistant wood like elm or gum, maybe not necessary, just asking?

turnkey4099

My bad, I misstyped. I retired in 1975 Bought first new saw in 1976 (Homey 360) Last of the pro model Homies.

Harry K

Latest posts