Welcome the newest member of my firewood family

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4seasons

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've been wanting one for a long time and finally got one last weekend. She sure is ugly and was looking for a loving home. Now I have to get a few bugs worked out and I really need a small trailer to drag into the woods with her, but here she is:
Introducing Paddy, the rice paddy tractor.
attachment.php

attachment.php

That thing's so ugly it's almost cute! Give it a nice camo paint job so the neighbors don't see it :D

Seriously, it looks like a real back saver. You probably don't want to carry much weight on that cherry picker without hanging some weight on the front, or you'll be staring at the sky in a quick hurry. If you can find a loader for the little guy, they're handy as all get out.

Rep sent.

Very cool! That should fit in the woods quite well. I see it has no ROPS so show some extra caution when you are skidding etc.
Yep that is one of those things with buying a grey market tractor, no US safety standards, but then no over government regulation as well. ROPS is one of those things like FEL that I wish it had but maybe I can ad later as the funds become available. Right now I am trying to get the time to adapt a good seat from a Murry lawn mower on to it, then I will look into a leaky seal on the right front knuckle. Oh the joys of buying used equipment, love the price but hate the headaches. But I am guilty of selling some junk to somebody because I didn't have the time, patience, money, will, knowledge to fix something too. So I guess what comes around goes around and the same is true in reverse.

You probably don't want to carry much weight on that cherry picker without hanging some weight on the front, or you'll be staring at the sky in a quick hurry. If you can find a loader for the little guy, they're handy as all get out.

The former owner was using it to skid logs out. I got a set of tongs and a 2' piece of railroad rail that he tied to the front for counterweight. I'm not sure how he attached it to the front bumper but I am sure I will think of something. I'm not to worried about looking at the sky but the sudden obstruction of my sky view by the hood of the tractor could be a real problem.

I would love to find a front end loader for it, but most people find them very useful and don't want to separate them from the tractor. Of course I could always buy a new loader for her but then I would more than double my investment. I may just invest in a welder instead and fab up my own loader. Now that sounds like one of those I could build a splitter for what these things cost kind of ideas.

Im not sure thats an actual Gray market tractor though. I think the gray market version of that one would be labeled a yanmar 140? When they sell here as Gray, they only have a three digit number, four digits when they are US imported. ROPs may not have been a US requirement for manufacturers way back when this one was brought in.

Congrats either way. ROPS doesn't really mean safer anyway, think of it as a constant reminder to take it easy.

A loader bucket is not going to haul much, unless its poop or scooped out of the pile. They don't have much capacity, and have little breakout force. If you have anyting other than mostly sandy solis, you can't dig with them. The box blade you have is going to do alot of that kind of work for you. You have snow? Push blade and reverse will do an okay job.

May I suggest welding on the RR rsil like a bumper, then have the welder add either a solid rod or rod of the right size so you can add weight from someones discarded weight machine? Craigslist some rusty home gym equipment, and use the weight plates from it. some of the rectangular weight plates would have two holes in them.

The RR rail might not be quite enough by itself, but a permanent bumper is a must.

That is a COOL little tractor! I'd like to have one!

The local Massey-Ferguson dealer had a Yanmar 1300D last year with a FEL and a subframe mounted back-hoe on it. It was a AWESOME little machine... but I think they were looking for like $7000 for it.... I can't remember the price for sure, but it surprised me and I had to forget about a new little toy like that!

way cool!

I've been wanting one for a long time and finally got one last weekend. She sure is ugly and was looking for a loving home. Now I have to get a few bugs worked out and I really need a small trailer to drag into the woods with her, but here she is:
Introducing Paddy, the rice paddy tractor.
attachment.php

attachment.php

a baby diesel (I think)

firewood/garden/snow/ (joyriding around playing tank commander) and all sorts of other work.

I just love baby tractors!

Zog- don't kid yourself, that little Diesel can put out some work. And durable as all get out. (You'd just have to be patient as its the nature of "tractors", they're just naturally slow.) The Jap engineering is all about duarbility. Everyone is aware that the same machine might have been a Deere, Kubota, or other American brand, only badged here. Maybe mostly assembled by putting the wheels on and putting a battery in it, and they called it amercian iron, american made. Thats sarcasm, yall.

Yeah, right. None of the big color names in America had anything to do with engineering or manufacturing these compact tractors for four decades. They just lied through their teeth, kept politicians pockets lined and kept the better product from being imported at a less expensive price, even with a moderate import tax the Asian Manufacturers were willing to pay. By mandating HUGE import taxes.>

We stupid americans wouldn't recycle steel, sent it all to Asia, and they beat our ass with it. Ultimately, Big color told them to make it even cheaper. Thinner gauge steel, less mils of paint, we wanted it cheaper. The end user din't pay less for it, but the name brands did.

Isuzu, Mitsubuishi, Yanmar, Iseki, they all were manufacturing them for the big color, and gritting their teeth.

When the gray market explosion happened in the early 2000's, importers were shipping boatloads full of refurbed units because they were well worth the expense, due to being used. Still had rediculously high import tax on new, but there are millions of used ready to refurb units in Asia and western Europe, tha simply woudl be worth every penny. Refurbs were being shipped to viet nam, Laos, cambodia, Tawain, and the labor is CHEAP.

BUT, thanks to big overpriced Color, who #### where they eat, you can't get a part for Paddy unless you're smart enough to go to the parts counter and know to tell the schmuck at the counter its a Fuel bowl for a Kubota 1410 (Paddy appears to be a Yanny 1401 D). Licensing agreements - you know?

I was wrong in my first post. Paddy is a gray market with four number/letter designation, If you bought Paddy as a true Asian Import in the 80's it would have been a 140 D, and nearly twice what the red one from Kubota cost. But complete with english only labels and warning stickers. I'm nearly sure Paddy sports mostly Chinese symbols and stickers with copious amounts of sharpie marker instructions.

Enjoy- you probably won't have to buy tires for it, EVER, let alone anything you don't actually break.

I have Pedro, and I still want one of those just to tote a trailer or drag the driveway, and I can grade with skid steer better than most can butter their hot toast with warm butter.

Last edited:
Oh, don't get me wrong!

Zog- don't kid yourself, that little Diesel can put out some work. And durable as all get out. (You'd just have to be patient as its the nature of "tractors", they're just naturally slow.) The Jap engineering is all about duarbility. Everyone is aware that the same machine might have been a Deere, Kubota, or other American brand, only badged here. Maybe mostly assembled by putting the wheels on and putting a battery in it, and they called it amercian iron, american made. Thats sarcasm, yall.

Yeah, right. None of the big color names in America had anything to do with engineering or manufacturing these compact tractors for four decades. They just lied through their teeth, kept politicians pockets lined and kept the better product from being imported at a less expensive price, even with a moderate import tax the Asian Manufacturers were willing to pay. By mandating HUGE import taxes.>

We stupid americans wouldn't recycle steel, sent it all to Asia, and they beat our ass with it. Ultimately, Big color told them to make it even cheaper. Thinner gauge steel, less mils of paint, we wanted it cheaper. The end user din't pay less for it, but the name brands did.

Isuzu, Mitsubuishi, Yanmar, Iseki, they all were manufacturing them for the big color, and gritting their teeth.

When the gray market explosion happened in the early 2000's, importers were shipping boatloads full of refurbed units because they were well worth the expense, due to being used. Still had rediculously high import tax on new, but there are millions of used ready to refurb units in Asia and western Europe, tha simply woudl be worth every penny. Refurbs were being shipped to viet nam, Laos, cambodia, Tawain, and the labor is CHEAP.

BUT, thanks to big overpriced Color, who #### where they eat, you can't get a part for Paddy unless you're smart enough to go to the parts counter and know to tell the schmuck at the counter its a Fuel bowl for a Kubota 1410 (Paddy appears to be a Yanny 1401 D). Licensing agreements - you know?

I was wrong in my first post. Paddy is a gray market with four number/letter designation, If you bought Paddy as a true Asian Import in the 80's it would have been a 140 D, and nearly twice what the red one from Kubota cost. But complete with english only labels and warning stickers. I'm nearly sure Paddy sports mostly Chinese symbols and stickers with copious amounts of sharpie marker instructions.

Enjoy- you probably won't have to buy tires for it, EVER, let alone anything you don't actually break.

I have Pedro, and I still want one of those just to tote a trailer or drag the driveway, and I can grade with skid steer better than most can butter their hot toast with warm butter.

I *like* those little tractors! Like to get one myself. I see what just my little wheel horse single cylinder gasser can do, so I know a two banger diesel not much larger, plus 4wd, can get the job done.

I think compact tractors are WAY cool and a lot more dudes would be better served getting one of them as opposed to dropping the same coin on a riding lawnmower shaped like a tractor.

Have an online acquaintance I have known for years, all he sells is compact yanmars. Because they work.

Around where I am now, the little mahindras from india are catching on well (and some not so little models). And supposedly they will sometime soon begin selling 4wd trucks. Some shenaingans going on there, but the trucks exist, just seems to be problems getting them into the country.

Kubota and Yanmar have a relationship? I thought Yanmar was making Deere's little tractors for years. I will have to do some more checking but what I have turned up in some quick google searches kubota 1410 and 140 both look to be of simular construction to Paddy. But I haven't found a wealth of information on any of them. I do know that I need to some maintenance and replace a few things so any good cross reference with other models would be useful information.

I was generalizing for everyone, Seasons. What you've turned up is prolly right. If you don't want to find out the hard way, DON'T mention you are buying for gray market, you might get snubbed and they HAVE to refuse to sell you the part that is identical. Back when gray was on every corner, counter help at the Big Color franchise was afraid the Big Color were sending out "spies" to see if their franchisee would sell replacement parts to a gray market owner, violating the dealer terms.

Just walk in with the broken glass fuel/water seperator bowl, say its a Kubota and pay the man when he hands you the part. (To save time, I'd always have the broken part in my hand for comparison)

They were putting big pressure on thier dealers, because the dealers weren't moving new units.

You can get a refurbed, 2wd 19-21 hp Diesel around here for 3500. 4wd 21-25 hp Diesel for 5 k. No FEL on them, but probably a brand new box blade with rippers.

Back