Welding service

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6hrs a day at 5 days a week is 30hs easy. If I work a Saturday or 10hr days it could be more some weeks it could be less I'm not sure how your figuring I would have to work 150hrs to weld for 30?

Here just a example this is an 80" elbow with transition that stands over 10' tall once fitup I welded from clock in to clock out steady for 3 days to get it done. I don't know where you work but we are non union and work for our paychecks.
yhygyvej.jpg

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

it's just like most guys who run a saw 40 hours a week think they're actually *running* the saw 40 hours a week. Put an hour meter on that saw and they're very surprised that it's only an hour or maybe 2 each day. Same deal with welding (ex contract welder here by the way). If you're a welder fabricator then you could see as little as 30 min to an hour a day of actual trigger time. Even if you work in a best case high production environment where somebody else is prepping your stuff, you still need time to layup and tack the parts, check alignment, go to the toilet, have lunch, change wire, adjust your welder, change gas, scratch your ass, get some information about the job, move the part to and from your work place etc etc... the amount of time you actually spend with the helmet down welding is a lot less than what you might think. Worst job I ever had was 12 hour shifts repairing copper pots in the mines. The pots were about 20T, and you sat inside them. They were preheated, and we were building them back up to tolerance where they had worn thin, usually they were 6"~10" thick with a layer of hard facing on top. We were welding with 25kg rolls of 3.2mm wire and we'd put 3 or 4 of those rolls into a pot in a shift. Even in that job, there was a fair amount of 'non welding' time due to having to arc air gouge the hardfacing off, grind the surface, weld, then chip the slag (it was dual shield), clean it up, then lay another pad. But one pad could take 15~20min of continuous welding. That was then followed by chip, cleanup, another pad. There aren't many welding scenarios like that, but even in that environment I'd be surprised if trigger time accounted for as much as 40~50% of the day.

You can tell a lot about your trigger time from your consumable use be it tig, mig or stick. You'd have to be going through 7 or 8 15kg rolls of mig wire a day if you were welding non stop 6 hrs a day, and maybe 2 or 2 bottles of gas. Same deal with TIG, I'd think a conservative estimate would see you going through 4kg or 5kg of filler a day, which is what a lot of guys use in a week. Or 8 or 10 packs of rods on stick.

Shaun

Like I said belive what you want I know what I am talking about tacking/fitting accounts for hood time just as much as welding it's all experience gained whenever I have a torch in hand.

I'll see that and raise you a 400T dump truck body, empty body weighing 80 tonnes ;-)

IMG_0271.jpg

That's my ugly 6'3 ass standing there

IMG_0190.jpg

getting them into a shop for a rebuild takes a little work.

DSCF0058.JPG

Here's a new headboard only on a new unit. There's about 6 weeks welding for 3 guys working day and night in 12 hour shifts to get the whole thing together. A lot of gussets and bolsters, many sheets to join together top and bottom. Due to the size of the thing it can't be flipped over. On the other hand, a small job like installing a wear package on the front half of a 1000 tonne face shovel could usually get taken care of by 2 guys working day and night in about 4 days. Did I mention my willy is bigger than yours also? :givebeer:

Well I am trying to gauge interest before I drop 5k on a new machine. I love to weld and the more oddball the more interesting to me and I have been tossing around the idea of buying a machine for home now for quite some time of course I don't expect to make a living off chainsaws but it's just one revenue of interest.

welded any mag,,where the fuel tank,,or oil tank is involved?? mag is somewhat porous..and even as clean as you can get the weld groove,,that @#$^ can be a bear to weld,,as the oil pops out,,and then you can clean the weld about every 1/4 inch...been there..got it welded,,but not fun...the other problem is,,if a saw has set a long period of time,,the mag will oxidate,,and get thin..welding that is fun also.............................

it's just like most guys who run a saw 40 hours a week think they're actually *running* the saw 40 hours a week. Put an hour meter on that saw and they're very surprised that it's only an hour or maybe 2 each day. Same deal with welding (ex contract welder here by the way). If you're a welder fabricator then you could see as little as 30 min to an hour a day of actual trigger time. Even if you work in a best case high production environment where somebody else is prepping your stuff, you still need time to layup and tack the parts, check alignment, go to the toilet, have lunch, change wire, adjust your welder, change gas, scratch your ass, get some information about the job, move the part to and from your work place etc etc... the amount of time you actually spend with the helmet down welding is a lot less than what you might think. Worst job I ever had was 12 hour shifts repairing copper pots in the mines. The pots were about 20T, and you sat inside them. They were preheated, and we were building them back up to tolerance where they had worn thin, usually they were 6"~10" thick with a layer of hard facing on top. We were welding with 25kg rolls of 3.2mm wire and we'd put 3 or 4 of those rolls into a pot in a shift. Even in that job, there was a fair amount of 'non welding' time due to having to arc air gouge the hardfacing off, grind the surface, weld, then chip the slag (it was dual shield), clean it up, then lay another pad. But one pad could take 15~20min of continuous welding. That was then followed by chip, cleanup, another pad. There aren't many welding scenarios like that, but even in that environment I'd be surprised if trigger time accounted for as much as 40~50% of the day.

You can tell a lot about your trigger time from your consumable use be it tig, mig or stick. You'd have to be going through 7 or 8 15kg rolls of mig wire a day if you were welding non stop 6 hrs a day, and maybe 2 or 2 bottles of gas. Same deal with TIG, I'd think a conservative estimate would see you going through 4kg or 5kg of filler a day, which is what a lot of guys use in a week. Or 8 or 10 packs of rods on stick.

Shaun
TL; DR

Sent from my SCH-R530C using Tapatalk

welded any mag,,where the fuel tank,,or oil tank is involved?? mag is somewhat porous..and even as clean as yo can get the weld groove,,that @#$^ can be a bear to weld,,as the oil pops out,,and then you can clean the weld about every 1/4 inch...been there..got it welded,,but not fun...the other problem is,,if a saw has set a long period of time,,the mag will oxidate,,and get thin..welding that is fun also.............................
He's been registered on AS for a long time, like since he was 18. I figure he has welded saws....

Sent from my SCH-R530C using Tapatalk

Nice slap in the face to a bunch of members here. If you ever got out in the real world you might find out a few more things..

Good luck to you and your endeavors.

Awwww c'mon don't be so hard on him. There's a lot of time in that duct, and I'd buy the guy a beer if he fabricated that himself. Imported if he did it old school without a computer. There's some serious head scratching in that square to round section. I'd still buy him a beer just for welding it up, but it would have to be a miller only, regardless of which welder he used ;-)

I've done most kinds of welding, from fab to repair, heaviest industrial and marine stuff right down to light gauge fencing, trailer fab and body building. If you're looking to make some money and have tig and mig, then have some magnets printed up saying 'mobile welding service' with your number and drive round and give one to every mechanic shop, motorbike shop and boat shop in your area, give them a handshake and look them in the eye. Give one to every tree guy in your area, and go down to the dump and hand one to every owner operator truck driver. Word will get around soon enough, and this kind of advertising brings business in tenfold over craigslist etc.

As for the mag welding.... well, you might learn a thing or two but you won't make any money on it.

Having to drop 5k on a new welder to "try it out" would be a huge risk. I personally don't see much profit in it. There are a lot of cats out there interested in restoring old hard to find broken parts for chain saws... but not THAT many that you would have a flood of work to offset the cost of the new machine.

I'd pass... but it is a great thought though. :)

Gary

Nice slap in the face to a bunch of members here. If you ever got out in the real world you might find out a few more things..

Good luck to you and your endeavors.
Unsure how to judge your post what exactly to you mean about me getting into the "real world"?

Unsure how to judge your post what exactly to you mean about me getting into the "real world"?

Here is how I judge it, you made a offensive comment on how someone else might make a living.

I now looked up your profile and it makes more sense, your just a 25yo kid who don't know any better and have probably never been out of GA and probably doesn't know the difference between a craft union or a industrial union let alone how anyone else actually works.

It also explains why your looking to supplement your income as your probably severely underpaid for your talents.

Trust me there are lots of folks working for there paychecks all over the place union or non union.

As to your original question, forget about making much on chainsaw welding repairs, it ain't going to happen. I for example have a saw that there are only maybe 3 or 4 of that are known to exist, so that means parts are made of unutainum so a broken mag piece would have to be welded. You think I would trust that part to just anyone? Dirty oil soaked magnesium can be a real PITA to weld and there is always a chance of something bad happening. Are you going to stand behind that job if you screw it up?

He's pro union. So... I guess you'll have to join a union to learn. ;)

The union battle pops up here now and again. Don't worry about it. :)

Gary

Well yes I am Gary, but that wouldn't make it right for me to knock someone else working non union in a sweat shop down south or out on the west coast now would it? No it wouldn't and I won't do it either.

The whole thread was going off topic anyway but that topic has no place here IMHO.

Well yes I am Gary, but that wouldn't make it right for me to knock someone else working non union in a sweat shop down south or out on the west coast now would it? No it wouldn't and I won't do it either.

The whole thread was going off topic anyway but that topic has no place here IMHO.

Where have you been anyway? Do you still own a chainsaw? :ices_rofl:

im a union boilermaker and we work in power plants I have worked on a unit right after it was shut down were not allowed in there till its below 140 degrees and the tubes we weld have to be pressure tested to 4800 psi we are starting a outage now 8 to 10 weeks of 60 plus hours a week been times ive done over 100 and drive over a hour each way to work my family is and was union boilermakers starting with my grandpa we work in tight cramped areas not in a open shop we do a lot of safety training and we have a brotherhood and just because your anti union don't put us down for doing what we love and want to do

6hrs a day at 5 days a week is 30hs easy. If I work a Saturday or 10hr days it could be more some weeks it could be less I'm not sure how your figuring I would have to work 150hrs to weld for 30?

Here just a example this is an 80" elbow with transition that stands over 10' tall once fitup I welded from clock in to clock out steady for 3 days to get it done. I don't know where you work but we are non union and work for our paychecks.
yhygyvej.jpg

Hey now, I`m a union welder. Just a structural stick guy but thats all thats needed on bridges anyway. I to know what it means to be behind a lens for umpteen hours a day. I also do a lot of mig. but anyone over three years old can do that. There is a local welding school here, Am thinking of learning some tig. Cant hurt to learn.

a lot of our work is tig for the root pass of tube welding and we don't use the fancy foot pedal crap to start tig and control the arc we use scratch start I mean how could a company afford to have 100 of those machines we also buddy weld because one person cant weld both sides of the tube when they are spaced 3/8 of a inch apart we put the tig root in then run stick out and cap we pass it to eachother not breaking the arc once learned it is easy but at first you will think its hard

Latest posts

Back