Well arborist game just for fun

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To the extent that understory trees have a native growth habit beneath the larger tree varieties, the large trees above them assist the understory trees to grow in the branching ratios most often found in their natural setting. Understory trees have been shown to have greater distance between the nodes and higher branching ratios when they escape the forest and get into landscapes and grassy areas that have more sunlight.

Given the recent direction of this thread, I would suspect that the best answer might be that the presence of heavy shade from the upper story trees eliminates competition from the turf grasses below the understory trees, hence, they are protected in that respect by the larger trees.

However... it should always be considered that the understory trees grow where they do because they are specially adapted to survive in the niche created by the woodland setting, not because the upper story trees are doing anything to help them out. They are still competing for sunlight, soil nutrients, and moisture. It should also be noted that most of the understory trees are quicker to establish themselves when there is an opening in the forest. Eventually, however, the upper story trees gain the upper hand by virtue of their greater height.

How'd I do, TreeCo?

Are small understory trees in the woods 'assisted' by larger trees?

Hmmmmmm well yes but species would determine how. Dog wood and shade enjoying species are benefited from filtered light. Others may be protected from environmental extremes and stunted until the death or other failure allows light to penetrate the canopy the stunted tree by then is well established and is ready to take over the opening. Probably not what you meant though.

What about my my Queen Palms?
Jeff

Umm...I didn't understand the question.

Us mid-western tree guys probably just don't see enough palm trees to formulate a good response. Being palm tree ignorant, we lack the aboricultural expertise to interpret your well formulated interrogatory statement. ;)

Last edited:
collembola.gif

springtail.jpg

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...a=X&ei=mMF2TN3IKZfhnQfGocz4AQ&ved=0CCQQ9QEwAw

You guys are doing good. Here is a cut and paste from Wiki hinting more at what I was digging for:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycorrhiza

"Outside the root, the fungal mycelium forms an extensive network within the soil and leaf litter. Nutrients can be shown to move between different plants through the fungal network (sometimes called the wood wide web). Carbon has been shown to move from paper birch trees into Douglas-fir trees thereby promoting succession in ecosystems".

Ok I seem to remember something about them being symbiotic in nitrogen fixing. I will have to read up more also the large trees provide a much better litter layer in which micro-biotic activity can thrive, which would give the small plant excellent growing conditions. It's odd that it may take a couple years for the small plant to react; do to its acclimation to low light but once it does, it will swiftly produce. The small plant will also have better root shoot ratio than a volunteer grown in full sun.

Last edited:
Those are pretty pictures. But why are they important to trees & those that care for them?

Not everything, however, is lost for 'non-protein' fungi. Laccaria bicolor, a putatively 'non-protein' fungus, has figured out a way to get extra nitrogen. In a recent study, J. Klironomos and M. Hart found that L. bicolor can be a very effective predator of springtails, an abundant fungal-feeding soil insect. They noticed that when they added springtails to pots containing L. bicolor, springtail survival was very low (~5%), while in other pots without L. bicolor springtail survival was very high. Looking closer, they observed that the springtails were internally infected with L. bicolor hyphae and they wondered if L. bicolor could be preying on the springtails for their N. So they set up a second experiment examining whether N in the springtails ended up in the leaves of plants growing with L. bicolor. Plants growing with L. bicolor contained significant amounts of N derived directly from the springtails, while plants grown without L. bicolor showed no similar N enrichment, suggesting that L. bicolor was indeed preying on the springtails for their nitrogen! Interestingly, the researchers did to the same experiment with another mycorrhizal fungus, C. geophilum, and that species had no negative effect of springtail survival and no N enrichment for their plant partners.

Good heavens, Rope! Y're hurting my head with that stuff.

While the nitrogen content of springtail corpses is certainly a benefit to the trees & Mycorhizae, I was thinking of perhaps a more general benefit that almost all the springtails perform for almost all the ecology. In fact, the demise of the springtails might prove to be a decline in their usual way of enhancing the woodland ecology.

This was intended to be an easy question for anybody with a search engine.

While the nitrogen content of springtail corpses is certainly a benefit to the trees & Mycorhizae, I was thinking of perhaps a more general benefit that almost all the springtails perform for almost all the ecology. In fact, the demise of the springtails might prove to be a decline in their usual way of enhancing the woodland ecology.

Lol in that case maybe accelerating the biological process in the litter layer .

Thanks for making me feel stupid. I just answered off my head.
Jeff :(

Lol in that case maybe accelerating the biological process in the litter layer .

Yes. Almost all the springtails feed on forest detritus, and are one of the leading contributors to decay of the forest floor.

Thank you, next question please.

I think they eat fungi ( the soil ones) and can carry spores of Myccorhiza bacteria of the good kind (symbiotic). I know they are everywhere though.
Jeff :)

I guess those remarks are all true too, but you didn't quite tie it in with arboriculture. I eat fungi on a regular basis, but I am frequently detrimental to the health of trees. :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Yes. Almost all the springtails feed on forest detritus, and are one of the leading contributors to decay of the forest floor.

Thank you, next question please.

I guess those remarks are all true too, but you didn't quite tie it in with arboriculture. I eat fungi on a regular basis, but I am frequently detrimental to the health of trees. :greenchainsaw:

Lol well I thought you were wanting a harder answer instead of the obvious one:cheers:

Next question how can apical dominance understanding, be useful in pruning objectives?

Latest posts

Back