Well, I did it, I tore into my 550xp.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skylogger

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just couldn't stand it anymore. Last year after I got the thing I posted about some scuff marks on the piston then took it to the dealer and they said it was fine. So last fall my curiosity got the best of me and I did a mm on it, the scuff marks had gotten a little worse but I said the heck with the warranty and did it anyway. Its been a year so I took the muffler off today to check and see how it was doing and it looked about the same, but then I got frisky and went ahead and pulled the cylinder off and this is what I found.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417388893324.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417388893324.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 398
  • uploadfromtaptalk1417388907540.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417388907540.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 351
And the p and c.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417388968729.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417388968729.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 330
  • uploadfromtaptalk1417388980005.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417388980005.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 303
More pics.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417389006369.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417389006369.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 309
  • uploadfromtaptalk1417389023674.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417389023674.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 319
  • uploadfromtaptalk1417389035724.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417389035724.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 271
Now this saw has been running great and have no problems at all I just couldn't stand the marks on the piston. The cylinder marks I can't feel at all its like its just been rubbed on. The piston marks I thought was scoring is mostly just colored I can feel two scratches like it's been rubbed with the end of a needle. Now that rubber piece that was pinched by the carb is ridiculous could it have been the source of the problem? I don't know if came like that from the factory or the dealer did it the one time it was there.

I was just going to put a new piston in but I'm not sure if that rubber piece will be ok now any input is appreciated I have never done this before:)

I have zero experience with the 550 but that looks like tiny air leak or just carb too lean? Either way, what I'd do is use a fine file and smooth off the piston then make sure when you put it together there is NO air leak. If it's possible, richen the high speed?

So I have no idea what the history on the saw is but if I took it to the dealer and they told me those kind of marks were fine I can guarantee we would a have had a long and spirited discussion. I have much older huskys that don't have any marks on the piston at all so to me something's not right. Is it still under warranty? If so tell them you want a new piston and cylinder.

In my opinion, pic one tells us what caused the scuffing. I'd show that to the 'dealer', not that he's going to do anything for you.

If it were a saw I was going to keep, not sell, I'd probably get a new boot, clean up the piston, and stick a new ring in it. A new piston would be a better repair. I think you need a new boot, regardless.

Thanks for the replies so far guys I'm gonna bypass the dealer on this one I want the opportunity to learn how these dang things work and figured learning from y'all has got to be the best way. This is the first time I have opened a saw up so be gentle:) If anyone wants anymore pics or a measurement or two just ask I haven't ordered any parts yet.

I believe Autotune cant fix everything. On a manual tuned saw a good operator can pick out an air leak. I picked one out on a Husky 385. It was on the compression release. Very sporadic but knew something wasn't right by the rpms in the cut. The rpms went way up then down. Reconizing these symptoms saved me a P& C. I believe it is not so reconizable in an autotune due to its self adjustability . I believe an all out air leak cant be fully compensated for!

You could probably get away with cleaning that piston and a new ring. OEM pistons are about $65 and would be what I would do. But I tend to not cut corners so as to save problems down the road. I'm 99% sure a new ring and a clean up would be just as good. Rings are going to cost $15, so the piston is $50...cheap insurance in my book.

Definitely replace the boot, and definitely delete the base gasket and mod the muffler.

Back