Well... I guess there will be winter this year

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about the people that don't put it in 4 wd till they get stuck...like on a hill. Duh? I thought I could make it! Then everyone behind them is stuck too. Most vehicles can be shifted in while moving. Those are the real knuckle heads! Am I the only one left that runs studded tires in the winter?

If I could run studded tires I would in a heartbeat. I may do it anyways and say the heck with them. Wish I could get some black studs. They'd never know.

As a former snowplow operator for a state highway dept, I can tell you the most common type of vehicle rolled over in the median of a interstate highway is a 4 wheel drive SUV. They get over confident and drive to fast get into heavy slush and fishtail into the median, cut the wheel hard to get back to the pavement and over she goes

Steve

Waiting to hear reports of the weather. How much snow, how much wind, visibility, etc. Sure wish I was in this blizzard area. Nothing better than a nice fire in the stove, a large picture window and a cup of coffee to watch it all with!

Oh, one other thing, I am one of those guys who has to get out in it and see just how bad it really is! Full load of wood on the truck, 4 wheel drive and go- if I can see, that is. Have pulled lotsa folk out of the ditch who thought their front wheel drive or SUV would go anywhere they wanted it to, as fast as dry tar! A guy can make a couple bucks this way!

Ted

We're pretty rural here and I'm guilty of getting out in the thick of it, whether I really need to get out or not,,The ol' Cherokee does surprisingly well but I usually throw a saw in the old Dodge and head out to the woods. Years ago we would go,"drift bustin'" for the heck of it, not so much any more. Too old to get out tearing up my stuff for no good reason.

We aren't supposed to get a ton of snow where I'm at. Some reports 3" others 4-6". It's the wind that is supposed to be pretty impressive.

I run a plow in the winter so hopefully we get enough to where I can collect some cash this weekend.

I spent a lot of time cutting and splitting and I feel like I'm getting jipped so far.

I agree.. Wishing some snow and wind would come my way. I have all my provisions, Christmas break is here. Just looking for an excuse to sit around and burn wood. Hmm, rainy and 47 here

Nothing but rain here since early this morning. It is supposed to turn to a rain/snow mix later today though. But, the ground is still plenty warm.

Oh, overconfident SUV drivers are not in short supply around here either.

Stay safe if you have to go out amongst the ignorant.

Snowing hard here now. Idiot guy across the street just drove up and down his driveway at least 40-50 times packing the snow/ice. I guess he's avoiding the snow blower. If it keeps up that ice will be there until March:hmm3grin2orange:

Snowing hard here now. Idiot guy across the street just drove up and down his driveway at least 40-50 times packing the snow/ice. I guess he's avoiding the snow blower. If it keeps up that ice will be there until March:hmm3grin2orange:

:hmm3grin2orange: Perhaps he's making a bobsled track.

For some reason you reminded me of a neighbor across the street from my mothers house. The houses are on a hill down this street. All of the homes (including moms) have a driveway that goes up a hill. I remember one particular snowy, cold winter that this neighbor would try driving their 3rd generation Camaro up their unshoveled driveway. Over, and over, and over. Never succeeding at making it to the top. One time he tried for nearly 45 minutes until he finally gave up and parked in the street.

Idiot guy across the street just drove up and down his driveway at least 40-50 times packing the snow/ice.

Paved or gravel driveway??

For our 1,000 foot gravel driveway, that is standard-operating-procedure for the first one or two snowfalls. Last night we received our first snowfall (3"-4") that is expected to stay so packing the snow is on the to do list for tonight. This should work out well because they are forecasting some very cold temps over the next few days which should make that packed snow good and frozen. For those that are not aware of this technique, it is intended to keep the gravel in place and not in the yard, or worse, through the front window as a result of being thrown by the snowblower.

Kansas finally got winter out of this storm

Well eastern KS (Leavenworth) finally got a taste of winter. We got 3-4 inches out of this storm. Took me 3 hours, with one coffee and warm up break, to get everything cleaned up. The Hearthstone woodstove is finally having to work, only at 72 in the house right now. :msp_mad:

Waiting to hear reports of the weather. How much snow, how much wind, visibility, etc.
I’ve been out moving snow most of the day.
The heaviest snow went east of me, I’m guessing we only got around 6 inches but it’s hard to tell with the wind blowin’ it all over creation… I have spots where the grass is still showing between waist-high drifts. The winds were zipping along at around 45 MPH earlier, now they’ve dropped back to around 35… we’re still seeing gusts around 50 MPH. Visibility has been near zero for short periods, but all-in-all it ain’t been that bad… temperatures have hovered right around 30[sup]o[/sup] so the snow was a little on the heavy/wet side, keeping a lot of the blowing snow close to the ground. Temps started dropping around 1:00 o’clock and supposed to bottom out around zero tonight… I expect to see visibility deteriorate as the sun goes down and the cold temps make the snow lighter. The blizzard warning ends for us at midnight… but we’re still looking at winds over 20 MPH until after sun-up tomorrow morning.

Paved or gravel driveway??

For our 1,000 foot gravel driveway, that is standard-operating-procedure for the first one or two snowfalls. Last night we received our first snowfall (3"-4") that is expected to stay so packing the snow is on the to do list for tonight. This should work out well because they are forecasting some very cold temps over the next few days which should make that packed snow good and frozen. For those that are not aware of this technique, it is intended to keep the gravel in place and not in the yard, or worse, through the front window as a result of being thrown by the snowblower.

Paved! This guy is a little light in the loafers. He has had this place for over 33 years he has a tractor with a blower. The funny part is by the road he now has a 2' packed pile of snow that will be there until spring. He had the hatch open on the back of his Jeep going up and down up, and down the driveway just making a "Bobsled track" now he just slides down the drive way:rock: Someday I'll tell the saw story.

Paved! This guy is a little light in the loafers. He has had this place for over 33 years he has a tractor with a blower. The funny part is by the road he now has a 2' packed pile of snow that will be there until spring. He had the hatch open on the back of his Jeep going up and down up, and down the driveway just making a "Bobsled track" now he just slides down the drive way:rock: Someday I'll tell the saw story.

How about telling the story today??:eek:uttahere2::eek:uttahere2:

Latest posts

Back