Well it happened

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captjack

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Well this is going to leave a fn mark ...... 35 plus years of cutting .... I have had saws kick on me but today the 046 got me in the face...... Bucking a 18 inch log on the ground - nothing around it - both feet planted - text book position ----- Grabbed trigger -set saw down on log - boom on my ass. Kicked back so fast it took saw right out of my throttle Hand - hit me right in the face. Had I not been wearing glasses I would be missing an eye. My phone was in my skid loader.and I had to crawl up into it to call for help. So then next time you see me I will have chaps, logger books, traffic cones/ reflective vest/ ear protection / face guard on. hahaha Operation Safety Sally for a little while. Went to ER - and got a ton of stitches and put down as covid then sent home hahah Be careful kids if it can happen to me it can happen to anyone

Attachments

• IMG_1628.PNG
    IMG_1628.PNG
    3.9 MB · Views: 346
We have been watching Coast Guard Alaska lately.
My father was in for 36 years, my brother and sister born there.
We are very fortunate to live in a country where emergency care is all but taken for granted.
Glad your still with us, and sharing the experience, signaling others to be diligent, moment by moment.
I am surprised after the initial strike the saw did not contact you elsewhere.
I will add, a few years ago I had skin cancer on my nose, and subsequently cosmetic surgery. It is amazing what can be done when needed.

here is the round -in question - when I set the bar down it was near the power head - not the tip - 28 in bar on that saw. I was on 2nd or 3rd tank of fuel and had not touched up the bar yet - it was still flinging big chips. It happened so fast if I would not stopped it if I was 18 yrs old. 35 yrs of cutting wood. .... Just one of those things ... had I not had glasses on I would have to change my user name to 1 eyed Jack ! Haha

Attachments

• IMG_1632.jpeg
    IMG_1632.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 205
  • IMG_1631.jpeg
    IMG_1631.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 204
  • IMG_1632.jpeg
    IMG_1632.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 199
Chicks dig scars. Thankfully, you are ok and old enough to not be crushed emotionally by the scar, as a very young man might. You can hopefully revisit the scene of the crime and determine exactly what went wrong. There has to be a reason. Physics, you know...

as I have said before on here, that is a common injury from kickback. You are fortunate that you didn't get it in the neck..

so don't worry, be happy!

thanks for having the courage to provide us all with a reminder.

Your lucky. I still don't understand how it happened - I mainly would like to know so I can be careful of it. Were you cutting with the rounds in the same location of the pictures or were they moved? Did the round roll back some and catch the saw pulling it out of your hand?

I had a 6" tree under pressure hit me square in the face this fall. I was stupid and thought I had room, but it kicked up and back toward me. Luckily I had my helmet with face shield on. It hit me like an uppercut and flung me on my back. I saw the blood and figured my nose was broke and maybe an eye socket or worse. I jumped on the tractor and got back to the house to find a nosebleed and no cuts on my skin. Heck of a bruise on my nose between my eyes, but nothing broken (maybe my nose minor broke, but no doctor).

Funny how the next tree after a close call makes you slow down considerably and think things through better.

I went back out to the wood pile because non of this was making any sense to me AT ALL I looked at the other rounds near the one I was cutting on and boom ! Found it. It must have been in front of the round I was cutting. and I either didnt see it or misjudged the bar sticking out of the round. Im pissed that I did this. it was getting dark out and I should have known better. Even when you think your're being safe " sh#t happens". Glad it didnt kill me and I still have my eye. Few days down and I will get back at it. This is making the purchase of a mini excavator easier in my mind. hahaha.

Attachments

• 66068339527__BFAD0BD4-C698-4B5B-9EB3-53F9D2685016.HEIC.jpeg
    66068339527__BFAD0BD4-C698-4B5B-9EB3-53F9D2685016.HEIC.jpeg
    452.3 KB · Views: 183
I went back out to the wood pile because non of this was making any sense to me AT ALL I looked at the other rounds near the one I was cutting on and boom ! Found it. It must have been in front of the round I was cutting. and I either didnt see it or misjudged the bar sticking out of the round. Im pissed that I did this. it was getting dark out and I should have known better. Even when you think your're being safe " sh#t happens". Glad it didnt kill me and I still have my eye. Few days down and I will get back at it. This is making the purchase of a mini excavator easier in my mind. hahaha.
Thanks for confirming what caused it. I had a saw fly out of a cut and cut my work boot protective toe ,not my toe. The reason the saw came out was the log started to close . 044 flying through the air at me luckily no cut. Freak things can sometimes happen when you dont expect . Hold on tight and keep your face and as much of your body out of the kickback zone as possible.

Glad you you didn't get hit worse, closest I've been to any serious injury while cutting is slipping and falling on my saw while it was idling but was just a pride injury. It's always good to know what caused the kickback because you'll looking for it more now before you make a cut.

Back