Well....My DHT 4-way finally arrived!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran the 4-way on my 28t a number of times. A lot of what I split around here is really too large for it, and I find its more efficient to use the single wedge.

While letting friends use the splitter while I was off bucking up logs at the camp site, they managed to bend the stripper arms on the return stroke. Everything still works fine, but one of them is bent. I was able to straighten the other one with some chain and used the ram as a puller. Even though the plates are made out of pretty heavy steel, they need gussets or something.

I also modified the wedge carrier (as posted elsewhere) because part of it stuck out far enough to hit the log and really bugger up the end grain. It still plowed through the log without issue, but didn't look good doing it.

wedge_carrier_hitting_wood.jpg

First I tried beveling it, then milled off the steel back till it was flush with the weld bead without cutting into the bead and loosing any strength. Couple minutes with the vertical mill (a grinder would work too):

wedge_carrier_trimmed.jpg

Nice clean splits now. I do like using the single wedge on the adjustable wedge carrier set to the highest hole on soft woods. Splits nicer.

Our replacement has been holding up. I think the weak point is where the previous poster posted. They are welded on the outside of the wedge, but not the inside. I know mine wouldn't have bent if it would have been welded inside, but they did replace it. It takes 2 seconds to go back to the single wedge, so I do what the 4 way will handle then switch for knarly stuff.

I have a shiny new DHT 4-way. My 28 ton should be here by the end of the week. I spoke to someone on the phone at DHT before I ordered it. I remember asking about switching back and forth. He said it only take a few minutes, so I was surprised to see that the kit came with both wedges, and a pin to quickly change back and forth. I hadn’t seen this thread till just now.

What is more surprising is pictured below.
ad9378dd8088cd282e02b00c1e45f9d6.jpg

Just in case you can’t read it, here is a close up.
b3964cf9b9db0b40ea4a1aea66a2b3f2.jpg

What do they mean by this? Does “soft woods” mean conifers? Do they mean soft and straight grain, or do they mean soft wood or straight grain? Does this limit apply to the 4-way and the regular wedge that comes in the kit? And why don’t they make this statement in the marketing material?

Are you listening DHT? I will be calling you tomorrow.

Yes we are listening. Sorry for the mistake on our behalf, we will be updating the marketing material. And please understand all of the marketing 'bullets' dont make it to the site because of 3rd party hosting limits. So we recommend "soft hardwoods and straight grains" for best results. Above all we recommend common sense when using the product. If you split really gnarly, nasty woods, stick with the stock 2-way. If you have some nice straight, well cut logs, the 4 way can help save some time. Your results will vary....mostly depending upon the wood type. Thank you for the purchase and always feel free to call us if you have any questions.

Yes we are listening. Sorry for the mistake on our behalf, we will be updating the marketing material. And please understand all of the marketing 'bullets' dont make it to the site because of 3rd party hosting limits. So we recommend "soft hardwoods and straight grains" for best results. Above all we recommend common sense when using the product. If you split really gnarly, nasty woods, stick with the stock 2-way. If you have some nice straight, well cut logs, the 4 way can help save some time. Your results will vary....mostly depending upon the wood type. Thank you for the purchase and always feel free to call us if you have any questions.

Thank you for the reply, I understand a bit more, but I’m still confused. I’m not the guy that is going to spend hour after hour trying to screw you over by constantly over stressing your product, and requesting replacement parts. Life is to short for that.

I would like to know what your guidelines are for soft, hardwood. There are going to be knots and gnarly logs in every tree. For the easy to split stuff, I actually prefer swinging a manual splitter. Maybe after I get it on site and running, the limits will become more obvious. I just don’t want to learn by destroying equipment.

I can't reply to the DHT. I bought my TSC 22 ton before DHT put theirs on the market. I got the chinchy little TSC $50 4 way. It works on 24" diameter straight grain Oak no problem. Takes two little pieces off the bottom and splits the big piece in half. I think it's ludicrous that companies have to put disclaimers on a product that will work fine on a straight grain piece of wood, just because they know some idiot will put the gnarliest chunk of wood on it they can find, just because it didn't say not to. If you buy a $13,000 Tempest, it says the box wedge is not for knots. Any multi cut wedge is for increased production, not crunching through twisted gnarly stuff. But, some people have to see it in writing, or they are going to do it just to see if it will. Go figure.

2412, please don't be offended, I was referring to my 22 ton TSC. It will split "Big" Oak fine with it's chinchy 4 way. But, if you put a knot on it, it will twist that little bugger into a pretzel, and I've seen people do it, just because they weren't told specifically not to.

2412, please don't be offended, I was referring to my 22 ton TSC. It will split "Big" Oak fine with it's chinchy 4 way. But, if you put a knot on it, it will twist that little bugger into a pretzel, and I've seen people do it, just because they weren't told specifically not to.

I completely understand, and I completely agree, although I believe it also has a lot to do with lawyers and courts.

I've got a few cords on mine. It's been mostly sugar maple but a little elm and pin oak mixed in. Watch the return stroke on how it hits the strippers and don't split funky or crotches with the 4 way. Can't complain about mine.

I would like to know what your guidelines are for soft, hardwood. There are going to be knots and gnarly logs in every tree. For the easy to split stuff, I actually prefer swinging a manual splitter. Maybe after I get it on site and running, the limits will become more obvious. I just don’t want to learn by destroying equipment.
It's really pretty simple!

Don't do this,

standard.jpg

Do this,

standard.jpg

SR

Latest posts

Back