Well, this is taking longer...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
...than I thought it would.
Been splitting, hauling out'a the woodlot and stacking all month... well, at least when I have the free-time. Should have time to finish that fifth stack this week sometime, and that should just about clean up all the oak I have bucked... maybe have an extra trailer load to put somewhere. And I still haven't bucked up that big Sugar Maple, about three cord in it I'd guess.

Right at about 2 cord per stack.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Those are beautiful stacks! I wish I had the free time to get my wood lot in order like that, but then again I had better be careful what I wish for…

Good work, that looks like it will be a lot of well-earned heat in a year or two.

The stacks are on some old vinyl siding for a moisture barrier and start out at about 6-foot high, they settle, shrink, to about 5.5 ft in a week or so.
Don't you have any faith in my stacking? LOL Those stacks (or three of them) have already survived two storms with winds in excess of 60 MPH.
Actually, I find that long stacks require a lot more force to push over... more total weight to move.

Those stacks look so good they make some of the rest of us look bad. Keep up the good/hard work and please keep the pics coming.

Very nice stacking. Alot of work there. Looks like they were piled up against a straight-edge. Excellent air space between stacks. Your grade is A+.

Holy crap .. are you using a Laser level yo stack your wood..

I won't embarrass myself by posting any pictures of my stacks..

Nice Job!:clap:

T posts?

Are those end holders just normal seven foot T posts?

Anyway, some nice piles. I stack mine on the hill between two trees, and some on the walls of the well house. I've got around 7 cord now and enough room left for about the same, two trees are still virgin with no wood on them yet. I lay down pine logs on the bottom as spacers, with a slight bias for larger diameter on the outside, and do three rows deep. I know, not as much air flow, but they still dry.

Actually, the thin and pretty one here does almost all the stacking, and the bringing it into the house, I cut, haul in and split. Split four wheelbarrows today for my daily "woodrobics" workout. About all i want to do in this heat. Finally down to some stuff the fiskars can't handle, massive hickories. These were the double crotches and odd ball chunks. Even with a maul and sledge they are tough going..so I will wait and hit them again around September, see if they get some more cracks and I'll noodle them smaller before I start (hopefully have a much larger muscle saw by then...). Still got tons of straighter wood left down in the swamp to cut and haul up, much easier splitting. Oaks and tulip poplars mostly, nice long straight ones the last tornado took down.... Got a nice medium ash blow down the other day as well, and I'll drop the rest of the tree, the top half came off, so might as well take it.

Just hard sneaking off to go cut, got so much other work to do plus fix mechanical contraptions.

Yeah, just standard 7-foot steel fence ("T") posts. Don't really need 'em, the stacks will stand without 'em, but they are cheap insurance and I've got dozens of 'em laying around. I tend to get in a hurry when I'm mowing (I hate mowing) and hook the ends of the stacks with the tractor, the post keeps me from dragging the whole end of the stack over.

It was cloudy, early morning when I took those pics so it doesn't show it... but those stacks stand in full sun from 6:00 AM until 8:00 PM and run northwest to southeast so even the slightest breeze gets a good flow going. They stand well over 100-feet from the house, but when we're getting the normal SE summer breeze on a hot, sunny afternoon you can smell the moisture cooking out when sitting on the front porch (you can look right down between the stacks from the porch).

Nope, don't use no straight-edge, level or laser to stack wood... just stack it up. The wife helps me at about half the time, when she can. She's real picky about how each piece "fits" and won't put what she calls "stupid pieces" on the stacks, she throws those over to me ("stupid pieces" are those gnarly, twisted, crooked splits you get from crotches and such). She's real quick to correct me if the stack starts to get a lean or twist in it... she's been through the "re-stack" process before.

Wow, thats nice! I won't post any pics either, I don't even stack anymore, I just throw 'em in a big pile.

I decided that yesterday was gonna' be the day... no excuses... I was gonna' finish those four big oak... I was gonna' get-r-done.
Outside early and had the splitter started by 5:30 AM. Holy crap, the temperature was in the mid-90's before I finished up. Even chunked-up all the end cuts, scrap pieces and whatnot, managed to haul it out of the woodlot for fire pit wood.

Still had time to run the weed trimmer over the whole property and drink a box-o-beer.

Thought I was done messin' with wood until the weather cools off some, but... the neighbor stopped last night... he's got a big oak (said it's bigger than any of the four I just finished) been laying down in his pasture for a little over a year............. guess I'll go look at it today, less than half a mile from my place.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back