Went for the eucs... chaps saved my leg today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpiralAcacia

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
1st to say once more Thanks ARBORISTSITE !!

Usually it's good info/opinions that help me improve my productivity and minimize my spending, or just plain interesting/fun to read.

Beside that, a lot is being said here about safety, PPE etc., and that is why I got me my blue Husky chaps and ignored some remarks about being overly-scared of the saw.
I'm not scared of the saw... I have respect for it.

Today me and my firewood buddy went cutting, I made a barter with a local company, did some work for them in exchange for borrowing a pickup truck w/a 14'X6' trailer... Took them chaps along too, sure.

After maybe 40 minutes of cutting dry eucs I half-stumbled backwords, reached back with my throttle hand off the saw for support and I guess the saw, chain still moving, tilted down to gently kiss the upper frontal left thigh.

It stopped instantly, I stared stupidly at the fluffy fibers that went out the cut in the pants and stuck in the saw.
I remember thinking Hey, just like in those youtube videos (From Labonville or other brands)!
So I sat down, drank some water, said ThankYou to the world in general and then resumed cutting...

I can post some pics tomorrow, of the saw and chaps...

For small time tree cutters like myself, who don't get pro training or to work alongside with experienced people, the safety info presented here on the site is extremely important.

Wear your PPE, saw people!!!

SA

I retired my old pair last year. Seam rips, many snags. I don't _think_ I ever hit it with a moving chain but...

Chaps, for me at least, are a mandatory item when working on the woodpile. I got tired of all the scabs, sores, scraps, bruises on my shins ;)

Harry K

I learned the hardway myself, bought my self a pair the next day. I even make my guys wear them.They might be a hassle some times but it's better than down time

Thank you for posting that!

Good to see someone listening to advice for a change...

Of course I'm talking about younger people who don't listen to advice from older people. But I should talk... As I remember, I did not listen very well when I was younger either! So I should shut up about that...

Thank you

For the kind words and the rep.

My missus here said "Your crazy!"... As if I decided to see if those chaps really work... :)

Funny that almost everybody reacted to the story with "You're lucky!!"
And I was thinking, Hey, I went and looked for chainsaw info, took it seriously, got the chaps AND yes, used them...
Guess you could say I was lucky it didn't go through all the layers. Lucky I still didn't mod that Italian Stallion o'mine.
Or got the 361 - that would have been a 30% cc increase pbbly more in the power dept. ! :dizzy:

As soon as my firewood buddy emails the photoes I'll post them here.
I'm curious to hear what are the opinions about retiring slashed chaps.
Any nick or cut makes them a through-away, or what's the rule?
I'll try taking some real nice close-ups through the slash.

I was thinking, if they go retired, I can call for a local GTG (All four of us Desert Cutters Anon. :clap: ) and actually do a demo w/a sand bag inside the chaps vs. inside a pair of auld jeans... Should be impressive, I think most saw users here are not aware this chaps thing even exist - as ignorant as I was before my 2nd life as SpiralAcacia here on AS.

Thanks again for the support!

SA

as someone once told me when i did the same thing

chaps002.jpg

chaps003.jpg

chaps004.jpg

"safety is no accident"

great to read your chaps worked

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back