Went through a lot of wood this winter ... still cold ... still burning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flashhole

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Don't know why I didn't take a picture of all five stacks but there was a fifth in addition to the four below. Today is March 1st and I have about one half of one stack left. I won't run out but I was hoping a full stack would be left going into next winter. I was doing good with next years splits until the deep snow hit. Will pick it up again in a couple of weeks when the snow melts and I can get the tractor into the woods.

Don't know why I didn't take a picture of all five stacks but there was a fifth in addition to the four below. Today is March 1st and I have about one half of one stack left. I won't run out but I was hoping a full stack would be left going into next winter. I was doing good with next years splits until the deep snow hit. Will pick it up again in a couple of weeks when the snow melts and I can get the tractor into the woods.
quote]

I'm just South of you, and it didn't help much - we have burned a lot of wood, looks like I'll be running out sooner than I like. Hopefully some snow melts to allow travel up the hill into the woods. Good luck to you.

Bill

i have plenty for myself but i have been selling a few loads to people that have run out already

I'm running on the low side myself. I should have enough to get through March, but not sure how much longer after that. I have some outside, if I was in a pinch, but that's for next year.

In a couple weeks?? Man, with the way this winter is going you'll be lucky if you get back in the woods by June! :dizzy:

Just brought in a cord that was for next year, I have a feeling that wont be enough.

Tried to get out in back with my snowmobile to cut a dead pine and got stuck with my snowmobile it was up past knee deep snow up to the center of my thigh and I am 6'1" had to turn the sled around by hand and follow my path back out. I was soaked in sweat by the time I was done and it is zero out. This is just too much fun! I don't care, I still laugh at the propane truck when I see it drive by. I finally made a track going back to the dead tree's so I can tow the wood out with a sled behind the snowmobile.

I brought another load of wood to the house today. This load makes five this year, last year was two.
This storm is supposed to hit us tonight and go through Monday morning.
I also put the blade back on the tractor and brought in extra fuel for the generator.
Time to stay in and chase mama around the house. Monday, it's back to the battle.
Mother Nature must be going through menopause.

I need to get me one of those never-ending logs like Brush Ape has in his video.

The next snow storm may swing just south of us. We'll still get the cold but I won't be plowing. 17, feels like 8 ... woo hoo ... a heat wave. Likely I will have to gather wood all summer since the snow kept me from gathering it this winter. Should be plenty of standing dead to harvest from this cold. One good thing about the cold, it may kill off some of the invasive insects like the Ash Bore Beetle ... tic population should be down too.

This year I kept the wood separated ... Ash, Oak, Hickory, Maple. All nicely seasoned, the maple burned the best. I will be on the quest for more maple. The EAB kept me supplied with Ash and I will still harvest it too but I will be especially mindful of maple. Fortunately there is lots of it around.

I just finished off my 4th row. each one was about 16 ft long 20" wide ~7 feet tall. I figure around 5.25 - 5.5 cord. Next week I'm starting on next years supply.

I usually burn roughly three cords each of the last four years. I have burned 4.5 cords so far and I am down to one week of wood left. The Mrs has done an excellent job of keeping up with the stove and we have only burned 40 gallons of our back up emergency heat oil. I will have to break into some of my 2014 wood that is mostly seasoned if this weather keeps up.

Last week I just hauled in the rest of the dry wood I was saving for next year but I have some 8 month cut maple which appears to be coming in next.

My wood is almost gone. Have to rely on propane from two weeks from now, Shuddering to contemplate the cost.

Beat, battered and bruised ... that's not good. I fired up my 460 today and cut a few pieces that were set aside because they were too long to fit in the fireplace. Then drained the remaining gas and serviced the saw and sharpened the chain. Serviced my 394 too. Will likely do the 041 tomorrow. I'm ready to go at it again once the bitter cold goes away and the snow subsides. Even have the wife convinced I need some additional chains for the upcoming cutting season. I try to standardize on a 20" bar so all the chains fit all the saws.

Latest posts

Back