went with the 35 ton dht splitter, but...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wlf89

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
cant get the wheels to mount on it right, by the time you draw the nut up snug enough to get the slop out of the wheel bearings the seal draws up onto the unsurfaced axle stub and is so tight it doesnt turn with the wheel. all that is going to do is wear the seal and wheel out. all trailers i have worked on has a stop for the bearing and then a step up for the seal, but this one is just smooth all the way. anyone else had any trouble with this? i seen a video on youtube of a guy putting his together and figure it was same way cause wheel didnt spin freely when he tightened it up, which is way mine is because of the drag of the seal.i have contacted dht waiting on a response.IMG_20171103_141413223_HDR.jpg IMG_20171103_142024169.jpg

I wish that I could help you here, but my 27 Ton DHT was assembled at the store, and I towed it home. I don't know if there are any axle differences between your 30T and my 27T, but ours has covered more miles than many do without trouble. DHT was Very responsive for us, I would be very surprised if they don't get you straightened out very quickly.

Good Luck,
Doug

cant get the wheels to mount on it right, by the time you draw the nut up snug enough to get the slop out of the wheel bearings the seal draws up onto the unsurfaced axle stub and is so tight it doesnt turn with the wheel. all that is going to do is wear the seal and wheel out. all trailers i have worked on has a stop for the bearing and then a step up for the seal, but this one is just smooth all the way. anyone else had any trouble with this? i seen a video on youtube of a guy putting his together and figure it was same way cause wheel didnt spin freely when he tightened it up, which is way mine is because of the drag of the seal.i have contacted dht waiting on a response.View attachment 610787 View attachment 610788
i see the problem in your first pic. your hammer is way to small. just kidding. did you contact @DHT through here. they seem to be really good at taking care of members here.

It looks like the seal isn't driven into the hub bore.

On that style hub, the seals rubber lip is going to ride on the part of the spindle that is raised.
sorry about that is the only picture i had showing the seal, yes i had it all the way in to begin with it somehow works out over time. there is noway it is supposed to be like it is the seal has to rotate freely with the wheel,but still snug enough to axle to keep grease in and trash out.

I'd take some sand paper to the spindle where the seal rides to take the paint off. Make sure you're greasing the lip of the seal as well.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
take more than paint removal this is real tight hard to even push on

Mine went together without a hitch. However, online people did complain about fitting issues, like yours. Tolerances vary ever so slightly. Some sanding might help???

bet its hard to pull without a hitch lol

dht is sending replacement wheels and seals, supposed to be in today ill see if that fixes the problem.

And that is why people trust DHT!

I was really looking into buying one this winter when they usually go on for sale, like 799 with fluids but Bomgaars no longer carries DHT, it's Black Diamond or something now. I know they're the same but I liked what I've heard about DHT.

No worries! Thank you for the business!

That Customer Service with the proverbial Smile, is why I would recommend DHT to anyone, and would buy another in a Heartbeat, I expect mine to give me many years of good service, so I don't expect to be a repeat customer anytime soon, unless, some little miscreant makes off with my DHT. Then, it would be a matter of whether they found the BODY/Shallow Grave before I replaced it ;)

Like Bocephus sings, I have a Rifle, a Shotgun and a Four wheel drive, I also have several Pistols and SHOVELS, and have lived on the mountain long enough to know places that even the bears and squirrels don't know:surprised3:.

Doug

I was really looking into buying one this winter when they usually go on for sale, like 799 with fluids but Bomgaars no longer carries DHT, it's Black Diamond or something now. I know they're the same but I liked what I've heard about DHT.

I bought our 27 ton, from Lowe's in Aug of 16', it was on sale for $1,200, normally $1,400, fully assembled w/fluids, and have been very happy with it, I have split up to 32" spruce with it, and rarely run it at full throttle. I just don't like listening to almost any machine running at MAX RPM, for extended periods. Throttle it down a bit, and I feel it increase's the machine's life expectancy exponentially , reduces fuel consumption, and I see little decrease in splitting speed, I learned the same thing with the boats years ago, throttle up to get on plane, then back down, major increase in fuel range, and small decrease in boat speed. At 4,200 RPM in the boat, I can WATCH the fuel gauge DROP, 3,000 RPM, a couple miles an hour(Knots, for you Nautical types ;)) slower, but what a difference in fuel usage :surprised3:

We had rented a 25 ton Speeco, before we bought the DHT, it was a Good machine, but it convinced me, that for OUR use 25 tons was the MINIMUM rating, our 27 ton has handled everything that we have put to it without struggle, and was the Best Price/Rating/Features package that I found.

Coastal carries the Black Diamond brand around here, I looked at it out of curiosity after buying the DHT, the price, quality and features seemed comparable, looking at it at the store, but I have never RUN a Black Diamond, I won't say anything Bad about them, but I have HAD Great Experience with our DHT, and their CS, if you CAN get a DHT in your area, I would expect you to be Very Happy with the machine, AND their Customer Support.

Doug

Back