were to buy 1/2" chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it safe to say, that most if not all 1/2" chain was running on solid nose bars?
Also is most 1/2" chain .063 gauge?

May be in order to call my machinist buddy for a retro fit! LOL

As noted by others the chain was ran on solid or roller nose bars. I have never seen a sprocket nose bar that was designed for 1/2". As for chain pitch it was produced in .050, .058, and .063. I have it in .058 and.063. I passed on a reel of Atkins that was.050 as I could not see a use for it. I sure wish I would have bought it.

I will try to attach a pic of one of my favorite roller nose bars. I have the longer ones but the short ones work best for what I do.

Bill

Ya, roller nose bars!

Thanks for the pic Bill!
I just checked my only loop that came with the saw and I measured .063.
It is a Stihl loop with (1/2 on the cutters and 14 on the straps) stamped in the chain? How hard is it to find a decent 24-30" roller nose bar for it?

................ How hard is it to find a decent 24-30" roller nose bar for it?

It is not hard at all if you have the roller nose. If you do the Chain Bar Repair can make you a bar. If not I would check with the west coast guys. I myself am in need of a good 24" roller nose bar for the 090. I hate to cut up my Homelite and Bender mounts.

Bill

All of my McCulloch saws that are running 1/2" pitch chain are equipped with solid nose bars. I do have one Remmington roller nose on a Mono 84 (Wards 90). On of the e-Bay saws came with a near new loop of Stihl 1/2" pitch chain.

I have several short loops of 1/2" pitch chipper chain, 50, 51, 52 DL etc. that I am willing to part with for a reasonable fee it they will fit something you have.

I do have a selection of presets and tie straps, as well as some McCulloch "master links" if anyone needs a spare.

Mark

Latest posts

Back