Wet logs...will they burn

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMike

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally able to find some wood for sale on Craigslist. Guy gets them from a mill so the logs have been dead for 2 years but they've been sitting in the snow all winter. He buys from the mill, splits and then delivers. Any chance they will be able to burn? I have a newer stove that won't burn green wood. Really in need of wood right now but I don't want to waste my money if this wood will be unburnable. I have no idea how long it would take for that moisture to dissipate, hoping somebody can shed some light

Buy a moisture meter. If your new stove will not burn wet wood then it will be a great tool to own. Too many variables to tell you for sure that it will be dry enough to burn in your stove. For all you know the wood he's going to deliver you was in the bottom of the pile and is as wet as the day it was cut.

Finally able to find some wood for sale on Craigslist. Guy gets them from a mill so the logs have been dead for 2 years but they've been sitting in the snow all winter. He buys from the mill, splits and then delivers. Any chance they will be able to burn? I have a newer stove that won't burn green wood. Really in need of wood right now but I don't want to waste my money if this wood will be unburnable. I have no idea how long it would take for that moisture to dissipate, hoping somebody can shed some light
Wood doesn't un-season when it gets wet or snow covered...but some types of wood take forever to season in log lengths.

The question is how long has it been split and what type wood is it?

Burn some dry wood first and get some coals going. Then you can burn wet. Also stack tomorrow's wood next to the stove. It'll dry it right out.
Wet wood will not dry out next to the stove. The moisture in the surface will evaporate but if the wood fibers are 27% moisture content then it'll take a while to get below 20% even stacked next to the stove. With the new EPA stoves burning wet wood is a recipe for creosote even if you load it in hot coals and get it to burn. The flue gas temps are much less than non EPA stoves that the moisture will condense in your chimney and make creosote.

Wood does NOT season in log form, thats why they rot in the woods. They will dry out dead standing. But to season properly it has to be split and stacked for at least a year or more depending on species and still sometimes it will still hiss some moisture out.

Burn some dry wood first and get some coals going. Then you can burn wet. Also stack tomorrow's wood next to the stove. It'll dry it right out.

That doesn't work that well. This was put here at noon, it's 6pm. Still full of snow. 65* in the shop. And yes, that's a full size wheelbarrow... its a big stove.

20170221_174730.jpg

Even if you can get it to burn it can create a cold smoke that will jam up the chimney, maybe not with creosote, but soot that is as much a problem. I learned this early this year.

Wet wood can burn just fine, but the amount of trouble you will go through may be very unrealistic. If you have a very hot fire and then add wet wood of course it will burn. There are several formulas that give a fairly precise measurement of the BTUs that you will receive from moisture laden wood. Yes it depends on what kind of wood you are trying to use. If you have wet wood it will take a certain pecentage of the heat to evaporate the moisture out of the wood before it starts to combust. If you have quite a large area near your stove that you can stack and with the addition of a fan you might have a chance. However are you buying Fir that could be more of an issue since it is not a huge BTU producer. If the wood has never seasoned then it probably is a waste of your time since where you live always has a high humidity level. Thanks

If you're really in need and hurting for dry wood, find a source for pallets and bust them up with a sledge. Not very "woodsy" but you'll be warm.

If the only wood you can get is wet and you've got to burn for your heat try the following:
1) re-split everything as small as possible.
2) bring in as much as practical and stage it next the the stove and force it to dry as best as possible
3) mix/burn with dry wood maybe some old pallets

Gonna waste a lot of good heat trying to dry it out just to make lots of steam.
Last I knew stream doesn't burn for $#!^ but if you've got plenty of wood thats cheap go right ahead.
Plan on an extra dirty chimney.

It will burn if: 1) split it small,kindling size. 2) get a hot fire going with tinder. 3) add the small wood pieces, two or three sticks at a time to dry it and get it to catch.It's a PITA and it takes time but it will work.

Wet, the way I took it to mean, is wood that is wet on the surface from rain or snow and not to be confused with "green" wood. I can get my wet wood stored outside to dry quickly by placing them next to my stove. If your stove isn't kicking off enough heat to dry off surface moisture in 24 hours or LESS - you have bigger problems with your stove.... Just sayin. I would go scrounge some DRY wood myself. Out here a simple walk through the woods or roadside scrounging would give you a plentiful supply.

The wood insulates well. On the other side if the stove is a rack that hold about 1/2 a cord. Wood can be in there several days and still be full of ice.

It won't be dry enough for a newer EPA stove, you need firewood under 20% moisture content. Buy it and stack it in the sun then check it again at the end of the summer, it may be ready.

Back