whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 252670View attachment 252671View attachment 252672

few pines on lakefront property... blew a 50' top (110' tree) on a block with my stickman roper... ran right to the ground then eased on the breaks.. total time in tree = 25 mins.

other one was a pita... (boss: i dont want a pine cone touching the roof!) ok dude.. you climb it...

did the poplar and oak behind it same day (little 80' trees)

$500 after? Get it before. I'm tired of the contractors, won't pay for months but they need 3 days of tree work done by tomorrow morning before the demolition starts.

The way I see it, if somebody is there holding a check before I start, then that's ok.... but I'm not doing the job. I figure they jerked me around for my money, so I am jerking them around for their stump.

4:45 came too early this morning.

Worked with another company (Mike - MC Tree) removing 5 trees via a 60 Ton Terex. Man that thing is sweet. Second time I've done any sort of tree/crane work. Mike was generous enough to let me take two of the bigger ones. The other climbers (Bill and Brendan) did the rest. 4 trees were at one job site, (set the crane up twice) and the last tree was about 15 minutes away.

I'm one of the converted now. :laugh:

This leaning maple (left of hydro post) was my first of the day.
attachment.php

The crane even makes loading (soon to be firewood) alot easier.
attachment.php

Basswood log pick.
attachment.php

Basswood top pick.
attachment.php

Second location, Ash top pick
attachment.php

Preparing to ride the ball
attachment.php

Setting the sling
attachment.php

Helps to have a large chipper........ and lots of capacity!!!!
attachment.php

Lowering an ash top
attachment.php

Nice to have a dead end street to work on.
attachment.php

This air conditioner/ pool setting lifting stuff is sweet. Been picking up an extra 3-5 Hun a few times a week now. The ac guys use us a lot because of where we can get the small kboom it's a 4x4 4400 so it goes in a yard pretty well. Units usually weigh less than 1k so they are easy pickings.

One we did today guy said when the original unit was put on the used around 150 foot of stick because of the angle from the driveway. I think I used less than 70:

Last edited:
Preparing to ride the ball
attachment.php

Setting the sling
attachment.php

Helps to have a large chipper........ and lots of capacity!!!!
attachment.php

Lowering an ash top
attachment.php

Nice to have a dead end street to work on.
attachment.php

Good stuff, we use to rent a 60ton a lot but the price of the rental sky rocketed up here with all the gas drilling going on. You use to be able to rent a JLG man lift for like $800 a day now its over $1400. Then even if your willing to pay 1400$ your lucky to get one they are all usually rented out on well sites. Not sure what they want for a 60ton now but i know they wont show up around here endless its a couple grand and they are not staying for long for that. The smaller guys like 25-30 tons you can still get at a decent rate 900-1k per day.

####'s been slowing down here the past few weeks except for the occasional blip from a storm. Was down to my last couple rinky dink trim jobs yesterday so I decided to just take the rest of the week off and focus on answering my phone and running calls down immediately. Brought in over $7500 worth of work yesterday so I think it was a good idea!

Got 3 people coming to look at my gear this weekend, 2 with bank checks the other with a pre-approved loan. I can only hope at this point! Need to go make some coin, but now I have a fear of going out and tearing something up before they come. Time to search the contracts for the fine prunes!
Had a guy call me about my big aas fire wood pile last night "since your not going go to be here this winter, can I get stocked up, that way it doesn't go to waste" Jeeze,lol. Sure, just take the whole pile while your at it, what a mooch! I told him "how bout NOOOOOOOUUUUU" Haven't talked to this guy in like a year and out of the blue, we are best friends again. My F-I-L still heats with wood, he gets it ALL!
Then I have people snooping around, trying to find out crap about me and mine, WTF! Glad I became relevant in your life again! "So, have ya heard where Scott's going" LOL! Freakin algae eaters!

####'s been slowing down here the past few weeks except for the occasional blip from a storm. Was down to my last couple rinky dink trim jobs yesterday so I decided to just take the rest of the week off and focus on answering my phone and running calls down immediately. Brought in over $7500 worth of work yesterday so I think it was a good idea!

I keep bidding/selling work, even tho I am leaving, I am up front about it and they don't care, as I tell them that I will make sure they are left in good hands. Still haven't decided who I am going to give it too. Wish I could send it your way man!

Gotta love it when it goes like that!

I just got a call informing me that I had better hold off on the $300 limb job I sold to an old lady yesterday. She says she has to get approval from her son. Whatever, I had almost forgotten about it already anyway. lol. I'm pretty sure I did pick up one for $1800, though, so all is good. Nasty little mess to climb.. cherry snapped of about 35' up (balanced on stump shards) and hung in a couple hemlocks.. over fence, fireplace, etc. Should be interesting.. assuming it comes through. The landscaper (old contact) still has to clear it with the client, so we'll see. I've been working on this property (and for the landscaper) for probably 13 years. Makes me feel good they still know who to call.

I keep bidding/selling work, even tho I am leaving, I am up front about it and they don't care, as I tell them that I will make sure they are left in good hands. Still haven't decided who I am going to give it too. Wish I could send it your way man!

I must have missed it but what kind of job did you end up with out in Cali? Are you going to sell your trademark and clients? just wondering because it might be worth more than you think. if you kept track of everything you did you can get 20% out of a client list for so many years (Sometimes). They can be hard to sell.

Today I worked my ass off , and got paid handsomely when I was done , I wasn't part of the pole clipping expedition , instead I was covered from belt to forehead in grease , taking out the infeed wheel on the Vermeer replacing the bearing , and for a 13 year bearing , it gave me fight and a half , got it all apart and the race was welded to the shaft , no match for the hot wrench though , basically a 8 hour job to replace a 80.00 bearing , wonder what Vermeer would of charged a 1000.00 or so

I must have missed it but what kind of job did you end up with out in Cali? Are you going to sell your trademark and clients? just wondering because it might be worth more than you think. if you kept track of everything you did you can get 20% out of a client list for so many years (Sometimes). They can be hard to sell.

He gave up tree work to work cold calling people to sell them cake decorations and not all kinds just flowers and such ! And it's commissioned position !

Oh the lie's,
I am not supposed to say anything, but,,,,,,,,,,,here goes,,,

The best part is if it's the company I think it is , we are on the subcontractor list , for snow and trees , granted its other side of the country but it's all the same company none the less , as a matter of fact we were just at a site they maintain .

So you answered the phone for one day and sold 7500 ? Wow that's quite a turnaround from having a few trims to a strong week ! Awesome that's some salesmanship

Back