whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some pics from today:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Cool pics/ i like the remote line, I guess swinging into a tree at 40mph is better than being under one at 80!!

Cool pics/ i like the remote line, I guess swinging into a tree at 40mph is better than being under one at 80!!

That sums it right up ! Its nice to be able to choose yer demise. Its a sort of something that many people don't get to experience so cherish cherish cherish.

I was in something like that not to long ago. No one around for miles. I was able to tie in directly above in a couple nice spots. I was going to shoot lines to support the tree but after looking at it and getting the feel I could see there was a good chance it would have stayed put. I was going to install lines to hold it from falling and a line to keep it from flopping back up which would have made an operation like that a whole lot more comfortable.

Last edited:
That sums it right up ! Its nice to be able to choose yer demise. Its a sort of something that many people don't get to experience so cherish cherish cherish.

I was in something like that not to long ago. No one around for miles. I was able to tie in directly above in a couple nice spots. I was going to shoot lines to support the tree but after looking at it and getting the feel I could see there was a good chance it would have stayed put. I was going to install lines to hold it from falling and a line to keep it from flopping back up which would have made an operation like that a whole lot more comfortable.

I considered guy lines but I didn't trust anything on that hill to hold and possibly pull over on me.

Took out this oak tree today with 8 other guys, crane, log truck, and backhoe. Butt log weighed 10,000 lbs. The last cut I made in the tree was 8,000 lbs and had to be made with the 88 as my 66 was just too short with 36" of bar, plus it wasn't cutting too well. The amazing part about this is that we got all the chips on one load... granted the truck was overflowing, but it only had to go about 300' downhill to dump. The first load of wood I sent out with branch wood was MAYBE 1/3 of a load... but I wanted the truck out. The main trunk took about 2/3 - 3/4 of a truckload... had to load 4 pieces on with the crane as the loader couldn't pick them up. Definately did NOT like having to cut in the tree with the 88... though I only had the 41" bar on it, that powerhead sure is heavy, I don't care how you are using it, or how big you are. Took 2 of us with (4) 20' slings to get the last log choked up. Amazing.

Took out this oak tree today with 8 other guys, crane, log truck, and backhoe. Butt log weighed 10,000 lbs. The last cut I made in the tree was 8,000 lbs and had to be made with the 88 as my 66 was just too short with 36" of bar, plus it wasn't cutting too well. The amazing part about this is that we got all the chips on one load... granted the truck was overflowing, but it only had to go about 300' downhill to dump. The first load of wood I sent out with branch wood was MAYBE 1/3 of a load... but I wanted the truck out. The main trunk took about 2/3 - 3/4 of a truckload... had to load 4 pieces on with the crane as the loader couldn't pick them up. Definately did NOT like having to cut in the tree with the 88... though I only had the 41" bar on it, that powerhead sure is heavy, I don't care how you are using it, or how big you are. Took 2 of us with (4) 20' slings to get the last log choked up. Amazing.

I am glad you had a good day,, finally,, you always seem so grumpy.
Jeff :laugh:

Aerial rescue class.

I spent the day taking an aerial rescue class. It was interesting and It addressed a few things I would of never thought about during a rescue, but I can't help but think a lot of the stuff wouldn't work well in real life scenarios. Most the techniques required a lot of equipment that few climber I know anyway, would have on hand. Its clear that with out practiceing on a regular basis you could waste precious time just getting all the equipment together.
I didn't understand why so much enviesis is put on rigging using climbing lines when you have a perfectly good tree to attach stuff to. Seems a sling and pulley around a branch or trunk of the tree would be faster and safer then all that fancy rigging off of different lines and what not. I done a million rescues in my head, as I am a real worrier and like to be prepared for anything. But I would of like to have seen a more minimalistic approach.
I always figured if you could secure the other climber to your self,cutting his rope would be a good way of getting him loose and down, but I guess cutting the rope isn't an option.
I did enjoy the class and learn a few things that could maybe one day save someones life and that is a day well spent,

I am glad you had a good day,, finally,, you always seem so grumpy.
Jeff :laugh:

It was a good day in the sense we got the job done on time and on budget, without damaging anything.

However! while we were loading up the butt log onto the log truck and had the road blocked for half an hour, one of the loons from up the road was in there taking pictures of the trucks in the road, and making phone calls to G-d only knows who complaining about the weight in the road. I've always been a responsible contractor over there... told everybody I knew (including this woman) that there would be delays in getting up and down the road today. I employ people for traffic control, 99% of the other contractors working in there do not. One time when I did do damage to the road, I had it fixed within 48 hrs, and there have been countless times when I have cut the road open after storms free of charge.

When the big load went back to my yard... the oversized woodchuck refused to take the load unless I go there today and get every single piece of wood cut up into 16" lengths. It's all good wood (relatively speaking) and I've given him loads and loads of nice wood over the years, yet he complains when I bring him this 1 load of big stuff. Honestly there were 4 big pieces, and the rest was ok. Other guys are dropping him off elm, tulip, cottonwood, etc. etc. and no complaints... but this is what I get. Tempted to try to get it back onto the log truck and haul it somewhere else.

It was a good day in the sense we got the job done on time and on budget, without damaging anything.

However! while we were loading up the butt log onto the log truck and had the road blocked for half an hour, one of the loons from up the road was in there taking pictures of the trucks in the road, and making phone calls to G-d only knows who complaining about the weight in the road. I've always been a responsible contractor over there... told everybody I knew (including this woman) that there would be delays in getting up and down the road today. I employ people for traffic control, 99% of the other contractors working in there do not. One time when I did do damage to the road, I had it fixed within 48 hrs, and there have been countless times when I have cut the road open after storms free of charge.

When the big load went back to my yard... the oversized woodchuck refused to take the load unless I go there today and get every single piece of wood cut up into 16" lengths. It's all good wood (relatively speaking) and I've given him loads and loads of nice wood over the years, yet he complains when I bring him this 1 load of big stuff. Honestly there were 4 big pieces, and the rest was ok. Other guys are dropping him off elm, tulip, cottonwood, etc. etc. and no complaints... but this is what I get. Tempted to try to get it back onto the log truck and haul it somewhere else.

Why don't you just take over your super heavy 88 and have a slicey dicey party and cut it up wouldn't that be cheaper?

Did they give a reason for not cutting the rope?

They said it would be to easy to accidentally cut the wrong rope or cut the right rope in the wrong place during the stress of the situation and have you or the victim fall.
But be that as it may, a lot of time can be wasted setting up the rigging (assuming you have everything you need)just to lift an unconscious person enough to unhook his climbing line, and hope he(or) she isn't on an ascender, your really screwed if your SRT with a croll attached to the rope.
If you're on a spar doing a rescue of someone on spikes, I guess their spikes can make it hard to remove them, so you have to lift them up first. But why couldn't you just take them off the climber?
I'm not in no way questioning the instructors skill or rescue protocol, but some stuff it seems they've over thought it IMHO.

Yeah, imho, first priority is getting climber to the ground. Get to climber, tie him off on bullrope to porty or whatever, get him loose and get him down. To me first aid , immobilizing in tree, etc. is secondary to getting him down. I would like to take that class, knowledge is always good. But if I'm ever in that situation I'm going to use my own experience and best judgement, with the first priority of getting him down safe. Thankfully, the only rescue I've had to do was a freaked out noob, couldn't talk him down so we just lowered him. As far as clipping another climber to yourself, that gives me pause just as far as load ratings, and dealing with a panicked climber on the way down. Better to get him on a second line and chase him down, I would think. Just my .02, but definitely good food for thought. Let's all hope we never have to be in that situation, but always good to be prepared.

Back