whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bandit Man

Bandit Man

ArboristSite Operative
Stump marathon today. 27 stumps blasted. 12 at one location, the rest were singles we have removed in the past. SC 60 trx Vermeer. I would really like to use a Carlton 7015 soon. See what the remote and lower center of gravity has to offer. Great weather , happy clients, gonna sleep well :)
Pic is a tulip poplar I removed.
View attachment 304159

treeman82

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Sounds like an easy day for a guy who #####es about DF,,even tho you need him.
Jeff

It was a nice day... for my travels, and for the weather (relatively speaking). Even made it out of the mechanic's shop for a modest sum. I can get work done without DF... it's just that he excels at "pick up this heavy object and put it back down again" or "here's an acre of pricker bushes, we can't get a machine in there, so here's a pair of loppers, see you tonight" We've tried teaching him things... it just doesn't work.

jefflovstrom

jefflovstrom

It was a beautiful day!
. AS Supporting Member.
It was a nice day... for my travels, and for the weather (relatively speaking). Even made it out of the mechanic's shop for a modest sum. I can get work done without DF... it's just that he excels at "pick up this heavy object and put it back down again" or "here's an acre of pricker bushes, we can't get a machine in there, so here's a pair of loppers, see you tonight" We've tried teaching him things... it just doesn't work.

Wow!
Poor guy,, lucky he has you,,
Jeff

tramp bushler

tramp bushler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Interior ,Alaska, Copper River Valley,, Coastal Al
I did a job today in the rain where this Italian guy wanted about 15 pines (100') dropped in his yard. I had to climb them, top them, then make the biggest mess I've ever seen on someone's front yard. He said "I have tractor, it's way strong friend. I clean up, you get them on fu**ing ground". It's a 20 hp Kubota. So he tries cutting them up in front of me with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth and cuts a butt log which causes a dead branch to hit him square in the face. I had to try not to laugh because his reaction was gold.

I dont know if you guys saw that Cheech and Chong movie "The Corsican Brothers", but picture the Marquis when he get's hit in the face with doo doo.

I'de say that was a full days work. !!!

beastmaster

beastmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Well thank god if has finely cooled off some. I have an easy job today not far from my house. Three small avocado trees and a citrus I've been butchering that citrus for years trying to keep it low and almost ball shaped. It suckers out so bad it takes me half a day to shape and clean it up. Hey I just do what they pay me to do.
They have a mentally handicap son who helps me out. Reminds me of the guy from Of mice and men. He gets a kick out of it and spends a good amount of time getting the piles perfect.

treeclimber101

treeclimber101

UNCLE BUCK
Spent half my morning dodging rain drops and shearing trees and landscape plants
qesu7u5a.jpg
y3erymy4.jpg
pu8ava3u.jpg
amazing thing is those ash trees have been sheared so often that they now are 15ft tall with at least a 10/12" caliber on average , and healthy not a bad side on any of the 14 or so

treeman82

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Helped a friend with a hemlock hedge.. what are friends for, right? Picked up a small job for next week, fun filled job just gotta figure out the logistics. Tidied up at one client's place before she gets back, found out tonight that we ruptured an irrigation line when we put a tree in earlier this week.. I'm guessing one of the roots from the stump we had to rip out was wrapped around the line... I'll fix it first thing tomorrow. Got a call about a dump spot for chips, plus a tree. Go check out the site, met with the owners... she wants an ash tree down because she thinks it's dead... thing is just fine. Told them to take out this one nasty red maple covered in PI... oh no, we like that tree. Then we are looking at the dump spot... stuck city baby! can't get to it from the flat side because that's septic. The only way to get down there is on 2 slopes, guaranteed to get my butt stuck, and they don't want anybody wrecking their lawn. Gave them some options, but they don't understand... oh well, I have no shortage of dump spots right now so it doesn't matter in the long run.

sgreanbeans

sgreanbeans

Treeaculterologist
Get a call from a A hole client, or ex client now. Dude milked the **** out of us when we did his job, I did the extras for free as old dude is a Jarhead. He calls and is pissed that I hadn't gone and trimmed a tree away from his comm property sign. Makes the "I'm a man of my word, are you" statement, which sends me off the deep end. Jarhead calling me out huh, ok then. Acts as if this extra trim at another site is part of the deal, NOPE, NADA, NO FCKINWAY. How and when did I promise ANYTHING other than I will take a LOOK. Tells me that he thought my price was a little strong compared to the others. Well, then ya should have hired them (I even gave him a 10% off deal for being a Marine!) . I asked him if there was anything wrong with what I did "no, great job, trees look awesome, but you were only there for 6 hours, just thought you would take care of that other one by now.......... ya know, as part of the deal" W T F are u talking about? What deal! We agreed on a price, I did the work, u happy, u paid. How is this other property even being discussed in the price, well its not. I told him it didn't matter if it only took me a hour......... or ten, the price is the price, and it did not include a tree on another site. "Read the scope of work on the contract!" We even went back over everything the morning of. I had told him that I would get by there next week when we do a removal,and I would look at it then, he said he was OK with that. Then this call, a day later. After I got off the phone, changed, grabbed one of the guys and went up there, did the Fing little job for this milker and then I called him. "Oh thanks Scott, how where you able to g" CLICK! He is now on the banned list.No more for him. I hate milkers, Marine or not. Normally, I treat these lightly, as its not worth someone talking smack over something small. But this guy is a Marine and he tried to pull some bs, or actually he did pull some, as I did go do it.........for free. But the kid gloves came off when I was done and he was not treated nice at the end. Called the local head old Marine dude in the area, the one who organizes meet and greets among the Marine community here, let him know whats up and how this guy treated me. So he will have a black eye for a while, in the eyes of the local Jarheads. Duuuuuche bag.

Last edited:
Groundman One
I feel your pain, sgreanbeans.

My little story:

Last fall we did a tree job for a guy here in town, a lawyer who travels between here and the Middle East, non-stop. We do the job, the guy disappears for eight-months. He shows up few weeks ago, I see him on the street, July 1rst, Canada Day, I meet him with a smile and a handshake, and I tell him we thought he was killed over there and it's nice to see him still breathing. He mentions the money he still owes us and says to call him at 5PM and come up for a beer and he'll pay his bill. But as it's July 1rst, Canada Day, he says, let's wait until tomorrow. Fine.

July 2nd I call at 7PM. He says "Oh, we're just sitting down to relax, call me tomorrow at 5PM and come up for a beer and I'll pay you.". Okay... I don't see why I need a beer, I just need a paycheck, but so be it.

I call at 5PM for a few days, no answer. I pass him on the street in his car (on his way home) at 4:45PM, I call at 5PM. No answer. At 5:30PM. No answer. Okay...

A few days later me and my climber are running around doing estimates and it's 2PM and ****it! I call him, he answers, I say we can be there in five-minutes. He says okay. We show up, he's super friendly, we go over the job we did eight-months ago, look over some more work he would like us to do, and then he says he doesn't have any money on him and his wife has the check book and she's out shopping. So why don't you - wait for it! - call me at 5PM and come over for a beer and I'll pay you then. My climber, a patient and very peaceful guy, has steam coming out his ears at this point. Fine. We'll be back.

As we're leaving, his wife pulls up. I say, "Hey, since your wife is here, you can save me a return trip and just write me that check now". So, with an Oscar level performance, he asks his wife, "Honey, can I have the check book?" She looks at him as if he's an idiot and says "It's in the drawer in the kitchen." So he goes prancing back into the house, comes back out with the check book, and writes us a check for the measly $300 he owed us. Unbelievable.

What kind of a guy would obfuscate and evade and lie to your face like that over $300? Honestly, I was less angry with him than I was feeling sorry for him. What a miserable state of being to behave like that.

But today is Saturday and I'm doing nothing, and I'm doing it very, very well. :)

2treeornot2tree

2treeornot2tree

Dont cry, just do it
Finished up 5 jobs I had that were next to each other today. Poured last night so the grindings were mud instead of nice fluffy grindings but thats ok, I didnt have to clean them up. Got paid from each customer before I left. Had to give my grinder a bath though.

Tomorrow going to prune a pin oak and a coupke branches on 3 scyamores. Glad to finally get some work done between all this dang rain.