whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not arguing with anybody. in ct. dot has cited many pulling over 10,000# trailers with less than 26001gvw towing vehicles.
I have heard CT is a huge pain in the balls though. I wonder what would happen if you showed them the fahkin federal statutes they are improperly enforcing at ticket time? LOL.

Here is where they get you! Towing my 20K GVWR trailer with a 17k GVWR vehicle= ticket city! (if you don't have a Class A CDL, that is)

From the Federal rules: "(1) Combination vehicle (Group A)—Any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds)."

Unless you pull your 10K+ trailer with a dinky GVWR truck, you are going to go over the 26,001 limit. Most "heavy" trailers come in at 12k or more GVWR, and most one ton pickups have a GVWR of around 13K. So...you could get away with it if you are careful. Go bigger and you pay.

I can assure you that Missouri wrote their law to specifically enable the cops to write tickets for 17k GVWR trucks towing a 10K+ trailer. When you get pulled over, you are not talking to the Feds, you are talking to the local DOT, and they are only enforcing the state laws. Bastards

Last edited:
From the link you provided: "
Question 1: May a State expand a vehicle group to include vehicles that do not meet the Federal definition of the group?

Guidance: Yes, if...

I can assure you that Missouri wrote their law to specifically enable the cops to write tickets for 17k GVWR trucks towing a 10K+ trailer. When you get pulled over, you are not talking to the Feds, you are talking to the local DOT, and they are only enforcing the state laws. Bastards

LOL, by your calculation, you'd be over CDL anyway!!! 17k + 10K trailer. 27K = CDL A

My point is that fed guidelines do not call for a CDL when pulling a 10K plus trailer if YOUR GROSS COMBO IS UNDER 26001.

ALSO expanding a the definition of a "group" leaves much to interpretation. To the point that I really don't even know what the fahk it actually means!

Had a axle break on my chip truck on the steep hill in front N of my house 1/2 loaded towing the chipper. Guy driving it jacked knifed it back it down the hill but everything seems OK except for the new paint job. View attachment 330920

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Jesus, man! There's a lawn service here that uses automatic Toyota Tacoma's and light duty trailers. Been in business forever and I'm sure he's raking it in. You sure you don't wanna rethink this whole tree thing, Jarrod?? It's liable to be the death of you man!!!

Worked on this Hickory that up rooted and fell into another tree. Got it on the ground. Now I'm going to deliver a couple ricks. Clean it up later.
apy5yqe7.jpg

adaneryd.jpg
u9yja5y2.jpg
be9e2a9e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

'
We're all getting sick at home. This morning I'd decided I wasn't fit for work even. lay in bed, listening to sick wife compalining in the other room about how sick she is. Had a change of heart at that point....feeling like $hit, wet through, rigging out dirty grandfirs suddenly didnt seem so bad afterall View attachment 331021 View attachment 331022 .
I feel ya Reg, I'd prefer the sound of crashing tops and screaming saws over a complaining wife sick or not.

So we got new like buttons, is that what was slowing the whole site down? Seems faster now????

Dropped 4 grand on salt today, hope I didn't jinx myself.

I have heard CT is a huge pain in the balls though. I wonder what would happen if you showed them the fahkin federal statutes they are improperly enforcing at ticket time? LOL.
i am sure you would then be involved in an extensive inspection that would inevitively have you deadlined. you don't spit into the wind!

LOL, by your calculation, you'd be over CDL anyway!!! 17k + 10K trailer. 27K = CDL A

My point is that fed guidelines do not call for a CDL when pulling a 10K plus trailer if YOUR GROSS COMBO IS UNDER 26001.

ALSO expanding a the definition of a "group" leaves much to interpretation. To the point that I really don't even know what the fahk it actually means!

Absolutely correct. A lot of guys think that because the towing vehicle is under CDL, then they can tow any trailer. There just aren't too many truck+ 10Ktrailer combinations that don't go over the 26K limit. I think that will be changing with time, though, 'cause this CDL stuff is a load of crap.

On the other hand, I can hook up to a 10k (but no more) Trailer with my 17K GVWR truck, and I won't need that Class A, even though it is over 26k GCWR. I will need a Class B, though. :laugh:

Last edited:
i am sure you would then be involved in an extensive inspection that would inevitively have you deadlined. you don't spit into the wind!

I have tracked the DOT goons in my town down and had these conversations with them. I just drive up to the lurkers and start asking friendly questions. They are generally pretty good guys when you seem interested in compliance. Not so much if you argue with them.

Absolutely correct. A lot of guys think that because the towing vehicle is under CDL, then they can tow any vehicle. There just aren't too many truck+ 10Ktrailer combinations that don't go over the 26K limit. I think that will be changing with time, though, 'cause this CDL stuff is a load of crap.

I know a guy that was pulling a 21,000 GVW trailer (3-7,000 Lb. axles) with a F250 8,600 GVW. That's 29,800 gross combination with an over 10,000 GVW trailer and requires class A CDL. He couldn't believe it when they got him. Like I said before all this is going to be federal guidelines starting day after tomorrow anyway...the medical card the whole deal freaking deal. There are still a lot of guys out there that don't know they have to have a passed CDL physical on file with their state by today.

I know a guy that was pulling a 21,000 GVW trailer (3-7,000 Lb. axles) with a F250 8,600 GVW. That's 29,800 gross combination with an over 10,000 GVW trailer and requires class A CDL. He couldn't believe it when they got him. Like I said before all this is going to be federal guidelines starting day after tomorrow anyway...the medical card the whole deal freaking deal. There are still a lot of guys out there that don't know they have to have a passed CDL physical on file with their state by today.
Gotta get that physical every two years now too

Latest posts

Back