whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too. Well, like I said, anybody that does not have a medical card on file with their state does not have a CDL as of today unless they are excepted and if you are actively operating a commercial vehicle there are VERY few exceptions. Furthermore, they don't have to reinstate you license and you have to take all the test all over again the whole nine yards. Texas has been saying for the last year and a half they don't intend to reinstate past the deadline. Whether they will or not is to be seen.

That went into effect a while ago right? I got pulled over twice in 2013 and I don't have a medical card on file with the state....they just checked to see if the date was current and handed it back to me.

If your medical card is current all you have to do is file it with the state. Technically, as of today you have downgraded to a class C.

No, according to the letter, I am downgraded to "don't get caught driving anything".

You are mistaken (at least in Missouri) about the "downgraded to a class C" comment. Class C is for vehicles less than 26,001 GVR which are transporting 16 or more passengers or are placarded for Hazmat.

Since class C still requires a medical card...Nope. Cannot do that either.

I guess they did. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm still amazed that such a tough guy/tree guy/ bearded biker type as yourself has never been arrested for anything!!?? Lol. I'm thinking all beard and type and no bite, but I could be wrong. LOL. :)
Or it could be I'm just smarter ten you , I don't why you'd assume that I would be a troublemaker anyway I don't really give off that heir anyway , I am more like a real nice guy who is a motorcycle enthusiast and my hobby is growing hair and cutting trees ! But as far as the criminal thing goes I'm a father now I can't act like a ******* when I am trying to be a good person. Sorry for teasing you ....

Last edited:
LOL, just watched them push over the log, had like 6 guys, just a back cut, no notch, all pushin is hard as they can. They all jump for joy once it is over,LMAO! Truck must not have been busted, I dunno, they used it to load the log into the trailer. Thing was tweaking in some cool ways. Has a materiel handler on it, but the thing is Ric A Teeee. Kept waiting for it too break, but.....they got it! Its fun too sit and watch them. 2 days for a 2 hour job!

Gotta go so the tax lady in a little bit. Please pray for me.

LOL, just watched them push over the log, had like 6 guys, just a back cut, no notch, all pushin is hard as they can. They all jump for joy once it is over,LMAO! Truck must not have been busted, I dunno, they used it to load the log into the trailer. Thing was tweaking in some cool ways. Has a materiel handler on it, but the thing is Ric A Teeee. Kept waiting for it too break, but.....they got it! Its fun too sit and watch them. 2 days for a 2 hour job!

Gotta go so the tax lady in a little bit. Please pray for me.
Why didn't you video it?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Or it could be I'm just smarter ten you , I don't why you'd assume that I would be a troublemaker anyway I don't really give off that heir anyway , I am more like a real nice guy who is a motorcycle enthusiast and my hobby is growing hair and cutting trees ! But as far as the criminal thing goes I'm a father now I can't act like a ******* when I am trying to be a good person. Sorry for teasing you ....

Normally it wouldn't have bothered me, but I had a few in me at the time. Hey, someone has to keep it real. Otherwise, you'd all just ramble on incessantly like a bunch of dot fearing church marms. lol. Just saying

Score 1 for the good guys. Yesterday, me and the boy where running back home after dropping off some firewood. We drive by this gagglephuck tree removal. I look and it is the ********** in that video from around here, then one where he drops the tree in the neighbors yard and tears everything up. Well it looks like he got busted. I think, but not sure, his bucket truck broke, with the boom up, next to HV. He is out with the HO and it looks like the HO is pissed. Then the cops come rolling up. The tree guy,as soon as he sees the cop pull up, jumps in his chevy truck and bails. Leaves everything there and gets the hell outa there! Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure. And the vid to refresh your memories.

View attachment 331272 View attachment 331273 View attachment 331274 View attachment 331275

That is totally unsafe. They need at least two half hitches on that rope to keep the tool boxes secured.

Not so sure.
I had a truck that was a 10 wheel Mack, shortened the frame and it became a six wheel dump. GVW for the original vin# was 56K, 12 fronts and 44 rears. New rear axle was only 22.5K so total in reality was 34.5K. Thats how I registered it, 34K, and thats what I was cited as when I was stopped for being oveloaded by a couple tons. By the way your thinking, I wouldn't ever be overloaded if they went by the vin# GVW.

My understanding of all this is
class B if your 26001 lbs or over GVW truck without a trailer.
class A if your combination of truck and trailer combined GVWs is over 26001 lbs.

My 350 pickup, 10.6K GVW can drag a 12 K GVW bobcat trailer without either license. (in MA at least)

Nope.

First, you were cited over weight not because of your VIN# but because you were over what your truck was registered for/HOW MANY DOLLARS YOU PAID THE STATE $20 per 1000lb. IF you registered that truck at 54K like the VIN would read out as, you wouldn't have been overweight, and you would still be within the weight rating of the truck = no fine. In this case its all about paying the proper registration fees. When I am talking VIN# DOT uses that to establish if a CDL is needed or not. In this case it's all about the proper licensing. See the difference?

Class B is anything over 26001 and you can also pull a trailer up to 9999lb.
Class A is anything over 26001 and you can pull a trailer over 10000lb

And yes, you are right about the pick up.

You are off by 1 pound! :laugh:

There are 5 ways to get an overweight ticket.
  1. Exceed registration weight
  2. Exceed weight per axle
  3. Exceed weight per tire
  4. Exceed weight permitted for entire vehicle
  5. Exceed the "bridge law", which calculates how much weight you have in how long a vehicle. Contrary to what you might think, this rule has nothing to do with the posted weights permitted on a bridge.
Some folks would include #6, which would be to exceed the permitted weight on a road or bridge. I'm not sure, but I think that is a whole different class of ticket. They might even make a moving violation out of that, but I never got ticketed in that way to find out.

That went into effect a while ago right? I got pulled over twice in 2013 and I don't have a medical card on file with the state....they just checked to see if the date was current and handed it back to me.

Yeah, it went into effect a good while ago but will not be universally enforced until...NOW. You were still good showing a medical card until today. Now, you don't even have to carry one in the truck. I asked a hiway patrolman today that works I20 about that. He said "You can carry anything you want in there I suppose but now we don't even want to see the card. It wouldn't do any good anyway. We check that straight off your license and aren't even allowed to ask for a card. All that has been filed with the state...or should have been."

No, according to the letter, I am downgraded to "don't get caught driving anything".

You are mistaken (at least in Missouri) about the "downgraded to a class C" comment. Class C is for vehicles less than 26,001 GVR which are transporting 16 or more passengers or are placarded for Hazmat.

Since class C still requires a medical card...Nope. Cannot do that either.

Well, downgraded to just a plain operator's license then.

Yeah, it went into effect a good while ago but will not be universally enforced until...NOW. You were still good showing a medical card until today. Now, you don't even have to carry one in the truck. I asked a hiway patrolman today that works I20 about that. He said "You can carry anything you want in there I suppose but now we don't even want to see the card. It wouldn't do any good anyway. We check that straight off your license and aren't even allowed to ask for a card. All that has been filed with the state...or should have been."

Alright, time to get a real medical card then. The fake worked well.....

Ohio doesn't allow a lot of weight compared to other states. I drive a 6 axle dump truck while not doing tree work and it's only legal with 20/21 ton. Guys in PA and WV can carry that much in a tri-axle. Since we are paid on a percentage of what the truck makes, I'm always overloaded if I want to make any real money, usually hauling around 25 ton. It's crazy how alert you are to DOT when driving a dump truck. When doing tree work, I'm not worried one bit about being pulled over for anything really, such as overweight, "no truck" roads, insecure loads, etc. Lots of hacks in landscaping and tree work running around with non-commercial plates and such.

Back