whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really put this up to get others' opinion on this without the subject warranting a new thread but since yours is all I am getting then I will ask a legitimate question to you. Do you just go off without possibly the neighbor even knowing their property is in any jeopardy when in reality it is, esp the house one, in dire jeopardy....and forget it and sleep at night and not expect to feel any complicity when/if the house is squashed, people possibly hurt/killed...and you could have avoided that?

Its a sticky question. Does the ISA code of ethics address this specific issue? I have no problem telling the homeowner but the neighbor opens up a whole can of worms. I think you've done your due diligence in telling the homeowner, period. Its his tree and he has the ultimate responsibility.

Its a sticky question. Does the ISA code of ethics address this specific issue? I have no problem telling the homeowner but the neighbor opens up a whole can of worms. I think you've done your due diligence in telling the homeowner, period. Its his tree and he has the ultimate responsibility.

you know that is usually how I feel but in the case of the picture I posted...the house next door is going to take a blow that will total it and if people are in it sleeping or whatever someone will be injured or worse....so in his case I told him my intentions and my ISA code of ethics. He turned back into the nice guy I thought he was and like someone on here said (maybe it was you)...that might not make it thru the night...he now understands how impending it is. He is going to tell them about it and if the ins. covers it he is going to hire me (I really don't care if he does) and if ins. doesn't cover it he is going to get another bid. People just aren't used to dealing with a sophisticated arborist like I am and now he is. Had he a high level tree man look at the tree anytime in the last say 30 years, they would have advised putting in cable supports and the tree (he and his wife have names for all their trees)...would not have been lost. I feel for him...but more for the n'bor at the current time.

In the other case there is a childs play gym in reach of it and although the TRAQ course describes that as a low number target because of "infrequent use" ....just the same, I do not agree with that designation of theirs (just a committee they are) as children are so unaware of what is going around, esp noises if something were to be in the process of falling on them. This guy is such a beanhead and cheapskate (I already told him to never call me again) that a very high likelyhood he will never tell the n'bor and it is completely hidden from them.

I think I am going to tell them about the situation. I couldn't live with myself were kids to hurt by this tree....and it is as big a tree as you have ever seen except for giant ones.

no offense dr. but the kombi system is designed for yuppie pricks to trim their bushes and blow off their decks with an occasional tilling of the flower beds.

I wouldn't go that far, the weed wacker works just fine!

I don't really ever use a stick saw but for 225 I figured what the hell, maybe I will get a good laugh. I got it to help remove 3 white pines if you can believe that. Worked pretty good

Changed the fuel shut off solenoid on the chip truck :) fun
ubu5u9et.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Yup. Not my business. And quit being so dramatic, trees coming over in a storm very rarely cause life/limb loss. They smash rafters, ding gutters and fill my wallet. You are not a hero. You are a shady snake trying to stir the pot and hoping to get a job. Get over yourself.

Yup.

I agree. Are tree guys supposed to go around and tell everyone about the impending doom of every tree and limb that we see? Who should we call about the limbs over the power lines? How about the limbs that are out over a busy road where cars travel? Should we all just aproach every house thats in "peril" to warn them? If the home owner thats in peril doesn't know it, thats their fault. They're not paying attention.

By the same idea, should you be held responsible for all the potential catastrophies in your area that you have seen BECAUSE you're an arborist with a code of ethics that should have been reported?

Forget the code of ethics for a second. It seems to me like it's just the right thing to do. I'd want someone to tell me about some hazard hanging over my house, and would appreciate the gesture even if I knew about it. I wish more guys had the concern Treevet does for that guys neighbors and the kids. That shows that he's a good guy and word gets around about that sort of thing. Especially about the assholes.

It could be handled without physically knocking on someone's door and maybe scaring them . But that's my theory some do things different and that's cool too

Went and looked at a truck today. Looking to upgrade to a larger chip truck sick of a 10 yard box and a gas 454. so I looked at a 1990 peterbilt 379 with a CAT 3406B diesel, tandem rear axles, an 18' flat bed dump box and 360000 miles. High mileage to a certain degree but the engine has great reviews and it has an Eaton Fuller 9 speed. After I build the steel box on the back of it. It will be a 35 yard chip truck. Plus it has brand new tires all the way around so 10 virgin tires. So after I buy the steel for the box, total invested would be $14,000 in the truck. Also if anyone is looking for a chip truck my soon to be old one is now for sale.

I really put this up to get others' opinion on this without the subject warranting a new thread but since yours is all I am getting then I will ask a legitimate question to you. Do you just go off without possibly the neighbor even knowing their property is in any jeopardy when in reality it is, esp the house one, in dire jeopardy....and forget it and sleep at night and not expect to feel any complicity when/if the house is squashed, people possibly hurt/killed...and you could have avoided that?

If your interest was truly concerned about the safety of others, then it's ok to tell those at risk. In fact, it takes a fair amount of strong moral convictions to take such uncomfortable steps and qualifies in my mind as commendable. Somehow, I still suspect that your motivations may have been suplemented by a conflict with the owner of the problem tree.

If you failed to tell the property owner of your intentions to inform the neighbors he was putting at risk, then it probably still qualifies as "being a dickwad".

If your interest was truly concerned about the safety of others, then it's ok to tell those at risk. In fact, it takes a fair amount of strong moral convictions to take such uncomfortable steps and qualifies in my mind as commendable. Somehow, I still suspect that your motivations may have been suplemented by a conflict with the owner of the problem tree.

If you failed to tell the property owner of your intentions to inform the neighbors he was putting at risk, then it probably still qualifies as "being a dickwad".

You qualify as a dickwad without any intention.

These are very unusual circumstances here. A hazard....a property in jeopardy....and the hazard owner determined to NOT have intentions to relay the (impending, catastrophic) situation over to the concerned property.

Lets review something here...

A LAW SUIT can be brought forth with the following issues and likely be successful....

DUTY- Obligation or responsibility to care for trees.

BREACH- Failure to act in a REASONABLE manner

CAUSE- The breach of duty caused the injury to happen (you chose to ignore)

HARM- Injury, Damage

(Anderson&Eaton, 1986)

Cover your collective asses gentlemen....all it takes is a little fortitude and momentary discomfort.

FWIW, I agree with TreeVet, I would have told the neighbour. It's got nothing to do with drumming up business, its the ethical thing to do. I have often told people who have hazardous trees endangering them about them.

Went and looked at a truck today. Looking to upgrade to a larger chip truck sick of a 10 yard box and a gas 454. so I looked at a 1990 peterbilt 379 with a CAT 3406B diesel, tandem rear axles, an 18' flat bed dump box and 360000 miles. High mileage to a certain degree but the engine has great reviews and it has an Eaton Fuller 9 speed. After I build the steel box on the back of it. It will be a 35 yard chip truck. Plus it has brand new tires all the way around so 10 virgin tires. So after I buy the steel for the box, total invested would be $14,000 in the truck. Also if anyone is looking for a chip truck my soon to be old one is now for sale.
A gas 454 bb? No thank you!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

WAIT! Its wrong to be a dickwad? Man you guys have me confused, I thought that was the gist.

But HELL YA, I would have done the same thing. And YES, it would have sucked. AND I would know that people would think I was doing it solely to be a dickwad. That whole mindset goes back to the " already already listening with preconceived notions" thing I so often rant about. A true dickwad is somebody that knowingly leaves a tree like that over his neighbor's house. Sure Vet ( and the rest of us) have the potential to be dickwads but not like that... unless there is a real good reason. Its even says in the bahble, " A dickwad for a dickwad".

Stuff like Vet's half broke oak IS our business. We HAVE to go next door. Think about the liability Vet would face if he had not.

Me? No, I don't believe Vet went over there for spite, in fact I am sure he didn't even want to be involved. Its a pain in the ass, a rock and a hard place. Ethics don't come as easy as they say.

Back