whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was a 3 lead River birch (probably 60 years old).
cb0eff6aa6324e9c4ce280ad104d2ec0.jpg

We had all 3 leads down to the big wood, and decided to notch and lower one lead...with one rope to each remaining lead. Everything was going well till notch closed and the hinge broke. At that point it started swinging towards the fence. I tried to speed drop it, my employee on the other port wrap did not do the same. So it pivoted even harder towards the fence.

f0faa79e6050295674f59a238c7db51b.jpg
I should also say, the only reason we had a lift is because we showed up to reduce the tree by 6-8', and thin the old topping points. After we got all setup the customer said he wanted the tree removed.

I guess I can still consider myself a tree climber, anyway. This dude added another 100 plus foot pignut today too. Grr. I mean I like the work, but my bucket is finished and calling me.:)

IMG_20150521_134333_724.jpg

Bought it from tree stuff. Buddy's didn't want my money as they would even price it for me. I like it well enough that I might buy a second one. We used it all day in a tree today and didn't even go through two batteries.

Climbed and pruned two big elms and a silver poplar. Serious included bark in one so Im gonna install a support cable. Still have to go back in the morning and remove a huge leader on the poplar that is going over the house. I havent climbed any big trees lately and three in one day kicked my arse. Oh well this getting old crap sucks. I did actually get a throw ball stuck and broke that sucker today. I didnt break the line, the fabric broke and the ring tore out. That is a first for me. Maybe if I post it on here Sherrill will send me a new one for free.View attachment 395231
So Sherrill does a monday give away on their facebook page. If you send in pics of gear you have broken they will send you a prize. I get a free hand splice tres cord outta this pic!!!:happybanana:

I worked on taking down 7 pines in a back yard. One was a bad leaner directly over a wooden fence. This guy was helping with our new t536lixp cordless saw.

what have you got going on there?
The biner securing that block/pulley is wrongo, dude.

what have you got going on there?
The biner securing that block/pulley is wrongo, dude.
Why is that wrong? It's a tenex whoopie with a heavy duty steel rigging biner securing a pretty heavy duty pulley. We aren't putting lots of shock load on it. It's only being used for light loads. Basically branches that are just a bit to heavy/awkward To handle by hand. We've been using this setup for years without any issues at all. What you can't see in the picture is the end of that limb is hung up on the one below it which is much larger. My groundies have hauled the branch up to the pulley when I took the picture.

What a bad day

We had 2 ropes on this, but it didn't go right and went out of control
a92ec286a47ebb3a2f6d52d469b87868.jpg

d97bc33fe99e3b05abd3adf437ca53b6.jpg

Then we hit this.
a2b0c812760e02fc670c18a6604c795f.jpg

I lernt this lesson oe'r twenny odd ole yeers, yah, swung a locust off its hinge damn near took out the A/C unit.

Keep the hinge intact while its being lowered with fat open face and pull on a thick hinge to slow the rate of fall, which, if you do it right is like putting a kitten down.

Was up helping NC with his faller friend who bore cut a couple mammoths, whole sailed the **** out of them. NC skinned the one then we set up a 5 to 1 on one high led then a 360 redirect to his new Mini, which, is bad assed.

But since we had real good tension this guy bore cuts the thing whereas I ( and I think NC was to) was thinking just to cut right into the notch from the back evenly through until we saw the kerf open and then eased into the hinge only cutting til it started to go.

I dunno, that is the difference between fallers and civilized tree men I suppose.

I do not think it would have been wise to fell the one without a good pulling rig plus its back up, it was windy and it was blowing the thing towards the house, ****ing people standing behind the patio door taking pictures.

Or figure out a base rig to control the butt and catch the thing , hold it back.

I lernt this lesson oe'r twenny odd ole yeers, yah, swung a locust off its hinge damn near took out the A/C unit.

Keep the hinge intact while its being lowered with fat open face and pull on a thick hinge to slow the rate of fall, which, if you do it right is like putting a kitten down.

I agree 100%. I didn't have as open of a face as I wanted, but I was somewhat limited due to the three leads. The biggest issue was I could not put the notch close to the ground...it was about 1.5-2' up. I did put a butt line on too, to keep it from rolling down hill after the hinge broke.

The lead was parallel with the ground, and the tip only about 5' off the ground when the hinge broke. This is y I tried to speed drop it...since it was so close. Unfortunately my employee didn't get that memo.

Why is that wrong? It's a tenex whoopie with a heavy duty steel rigging biner securing a pretty heavy duty pulley. We aren't putting lots of shock load on it. It's only being used for light loads. Basically branches that are just a bit to heavy/awkward To handle by hand. We've been using this setup for years without any issues at all. What you can't see in the picture is the end of that limb is hung up on the one below it which is much larger. My groundies have hauled the branch up to the pulley when I took the picture.

Wrong, (my $.002 opinion) in the sense that the pulley PLUS the biner are redundant. Esp. for the rigging you described.
For light loads, the steel biner alone is more than adequate. If you are concerned about the tight bend radius, then use an appropriate block attached to a dead eye sling / whoopie / whatever. Or use a rigging ring.
For a good many years I used a nice CMI block with stainless steel side plates. Untill one fine day one of those plates shredded the rope which unexpectedly ran over it. And that was a good enough excuse to finally spring for a lovely DMM block.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 12
ea2aa9da0588c30922f2342053d14834.jpg

049861667000c68ffa5f876687df132f.jpg

What happens with a carabiner clipped into that style of pulley.

Latest posts

Back