whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rarely use a block even until its big wood. I normally use 3 strand get my wrap and lower down, of course its out of need, as usually only one helper and he is pulling it clear as its lowered !

I lernt this lesson oe'r twenny odd ole yeers, yah, swung a locust off its hinge damn near took out the A/C unit.

Keep the hinge intact while its being lowered with fat open face and pull on a thick hinge to slow the rate of fall, which, if you do it right is like putting a kitten down.

Was up helping NC with his faller friend who bore cut a couple mammoths, whole sailed the **** out of them. NC skinned the one then we set up a 5 to 1 on one high led then a 360 redirect to his new Mini, which, is bad assed.

But since we had real good tension this guy bore cuts the thing whereas I ( and I think NC was to) was thinking just to cut right into the notch from the back evenly through until we saw the kerf open and then eased into the hinge only cutting til it started to go.

I dunno, that is the difference between fallers and civilized tree men I suppose.

I do not think it would have been wise to fell the one without a good pulling rig plus its back up, it was windy and it was blowing the thing towards the house, ****ing people standing behind the patio door taking pictures.

Or figure out a base rig to control the butt and catch the thing , hold it back.
You working with NC again? I got a cap load of work if your not busy.

First log sawed on my mill. Black birch.
5f01eca4a0874a09b788f9a66044c781.jpg

I rarely use a block even until its big wood. I normally use 3 strand get my wrap and lower down, of course its out of need, as usually only one helper and he is pulling it clear as its lowered !

So yer alive!? Well at least now we know. Who do you think you are to just disappear so long like that?

Guys, I understand not to do negative rigging on a pulley. Perhaps I was not clear enough in my original post. We cut the limb in the picture loose, let it fall onto the large branches below it, and then my groundies hoisted it up so we could remove it. We have been using that same exact pulley in the picture for over three years. We aren't overloading or shock loading it hard. I fully expect to use it for years to come. I have a block and use it frequently when I need one. It was in use in another tree when that picture was taken which is why the guy in the picture was using that technique instead of putting a block up high and using a spider leg.

Thanks for providing some context, Griff.
At 54, I gotta work efficiently. dicking around with pulleys to play elevator games with limbs is a technique to use only as a last resort.
Translates into the lower limbs coming off first on a removal, and use natural crotches, or just a steel biner, or Omni block, or small ISC block to lower light / medium weight stuff. Having a groundman able to significantly pretension low limbs (over structures) with the Hobbs has been really helpful this year.

Today's consultation was on a big Tuliptree
The owner saw ants and was worried so she called the removal company
The removal guy came after sunset and used his penknife and a flashlight to show that the tree was hollow and had to be removed
The owner said well okay and got permission from the homeowners association and was ready to pay for the removal but then her commonsense took over
So she called for an assessment
I found very little decay and a whole lot of structural integrity
So I pruned the fence away from the buttress root after the consultation
And gave a bid for pruning the tree at one quarter of the cost of removal
So the owner keeps the shade on her roof in the afternoon and the arborist has an account for life
Win win win! The removal company lost, but maybe they will gain a better approach to tree CARE. ;)
11113155_1142914712402242_1259387891307881705_n.jpg
11214166_1142914722402241_6487552253454585747_n.jpg

I don't think I know this Brian. What's the news on the old man down in bantam? I haven't seen him around. I heard he might have sold too?
Brians a local guy. Worked for Pete, the old man, then spent time with Bartlett. Good guy.
The old man is trying to sell. Somebody asked me the other day if I was buying it. LOL

Brians a local guy. Worked for Pete, the old man, then spent time with Bartlett. Good guy.
The old man is trying to sell. Somebody asked me the other day if I was buying it. LOL

Yeah, now I remember him. I've met him a few times. He was friends with the Acer punk. Lol. Been a while. I never worked with him though. Seems like a good guy. I think his mom lives up by my shop.

Lol.. I think my dog bit him in the ass. I know he bit him somewhere. I could be confusing him with Lenny from Bill's outfit. I know he got bit in the ass. I miss that dog..

Latest posts

Back