whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Merry Christmas everyone and stihl heads too

stihlhead.jpg

I have the pics of the big job I have coming up, but the files are too big, and I'm an idiot with computers, so if anyone cares to have me email them so you can post them I'm game.

You should consider getting a 55 gallon drum of bar oil. Use those old cans to pump into. I haven't done it yet, but have looked into it. It's like $5 a gallon here! Probably next year..

Thought about it several times. I have been buying the cheap stuff, for about 6 a gal, stihl is about 18,. I did not think that the cheap stuff would hurt anything, however, I have been noticing some wear on the bars, need to switch back. But 17 bucks a gallon is a rip off.

Reactionwood thread: Apparently, they are not interested in discussing, just arguing.

Reactionwood thread: Apparently, they are not interested in discussing, just arguing.

Just a little fyi.....

That is NOT the "Reactionwood thread".

The term reaction wood was coined by Dr. Alex Shigo.

He has defined many terms in our profession where there was no term or scientific identification of things or processes previously. He is sort of the "Websters" of Modern Arboriculture amongst many other positions he held prior to passing away.

Very self important people seek to put "their own" spin on his terms or even re define his terms to appear vaguely even in the same league as him (couldn't be even in the same universe as him in these aspects though).

"Reaction wood" is wood altered as a result of lean in a tree: compression wood forms on the underside of leaning conifers; tension wood forms on the upper side of leaning hardwoods or angiosperms. Reaction wood differs greatly from normal wood. Compression wood has only about 30% cellulose compared to 42% in normal softwood. Its lignin content can be as high as 40% The cellulose in compression wood is less crystalline than normal wood. There are other differences between compression wood and normal wood that include hemicelluloses and lignins. Tension wood may have as high as60% cellulose. There is not so great a change in lignin when based on individual fibers. Tension wood contains many different types of hemicelluloses and lignins not found in normal wood.

He goes on to describe "juvenile wood", but these descriptions of twisted abberational wood growth on that thread are NOT previously defined "reaction wood" and

....as treeseer pointed out from a quote from me in an earlier post to SMc...if they are gonna expand on Dr. Shigo's definition (for their own notoriety) then.......

"All wood is reaction wood". If this is the case then the term has absolutely no meaning (or in this case ALL meanings) and becomes worthless.

If they want to do scientific research and maybe discover the true cause of this abberational growth then they can complete this challenging endeavor with their own definition and possibly gain some legitimate deserved notoriety.

Just a little fyi.....

That is NOT the "Reactionwood thread".

The term reaction wood was coined by Dr. Alex Shigo.

He has defined many terms in our profession where there was no term or scientific identification of things or processes previously. He is sort of the "Websters" of Modern Arboriculture amongst many other positions he held prior to passing away.

Very self important people seek to put "their own" spin on his terms or even re define his terms to appear vaguely even in the same league as him (couldn't be even in the same universe as him in these aspects though).

"Reaction wood" is wood altered as a result of lean in a tree: compression wood forms on the underside of leaning conifers; tension wood forms on the upper side of leaning hardwoods or angiosperms. Reaction wood differs greatly from normal wood. Compression wood has only about 30% cellulose compared to 42% in normal softwood. Its lignin content can be as high as 40% The cellulose in compression wood is less crystalline than normal wood. There are other differences between compression wood and normal wood that include hemicelluloses and lignins. Tension wood may have as high as60% cellulose. There is not so great a change in lignin when based on individual fibers. Tension wood contains many different types of hemicelluloses and lignins not found in normal wood.

He goes on to describe "juvenile wood", but these descriptions of twisted abberational wood growth on that thread are NOT previously defined "reaction wood" and

....as treeseer pointed out from a quote from me in an earlier post to SMc...if they are gonna expand on Dr. Shigo's definition (for their own notoriety) then.......

"All wood is reaction wood". If this is the case then the term has absolutely no meaning (or in this case ALL meanings) and becomes worthless.

If they want to do scientific research and maybe discover the true cause of this abberational growth then they can complete this challenging endeavor with their own definition and possibly gain some legitimate deserved notoriety.

WELL THEN!
Thanks! That was all that I was looking for, was some clear info! I need to do more reading, as some of that was above me. But, was I right? Based on above, it is all conditional/situational? I asked for Shigo's book for X-Mas, didn't get it. DAMN! Could have used it right now!
Cool that you meet him, when did he pass away?

He died in 2006. I saw him at a seminar in '92.
Jeff ;)

I was told he was going to be at a trade show in LA in O3', we (Gothic) had a booth, so I used that to go there to meet him, no one new what I was talking about. Wasted trip!
Landscape trade shows are no different than going to your local outdoor power equipment store!

Latest posts

Back