whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beech bark disease is bad news. Sugar maples can't live in my hood. No big ones left and there were giant ones. Go 100 mi.s north and they are doing fine. Too hot here now with temp change. Pushes V. Wilt.

Removing some trees struck by lighting at the local elementary school today.

I'm putting in a prevailing wage bid for a school in New York clearing out about an acre of trees. We've never done prevailing wage work before. Do you guys have any advice or experience with that?

This same contractor just awarded me a huge silver maple removal job (prevailing wage) at another school we'll do next month. 6500 for the day. Bucket work and clean up. No crane. My guys already make close to prevailing wages aside from the extra $10 per hour fringe benefit. That should give me plenty of room.

Check out the stump! No, we're not grinding it!
KIMG0899.JPG

I did a bunch of stuff that I wanted to get done before I go on vacation tomorrow. I have prepared everyone and everything as much as I could. I've been gone plenty of times and left others in charge but this time is different because we're going to Isle Royale in Lake Superior for a 9 day backpacking/hiking trip. No cell phone or internet service.....there aren't even roads or cars on the entire island. So my son is getting the keys to the store and it's completely his show until I get back. I'm not too worried though (maybe just a tiny bit). We have good people and that won't change just because I'm gone.

I did a bunch of stuff that I wanted to get done before I go on vacation tomorrow. I have prepared everyone and everything as much as I could. I've been gone plenty of times and left others in charge but this time is different because we're going to Isle Royale in Lake Superior for a 9 day backpacking/hiking trip. No cell phone or internet service.....there aren't even roads or cars on the entire island. So my son is getting the keys to the store and it's completely his show until I get back. I'm not too worried though (maybe just a tiny bit). We have good people and that won't change just because I'm gone.

I wouldn’t worry about it. I’m sure they’ll do fine without you. Lol.

I wouldn’t worry about it. I’m sure they’ll do fine without you. Lol.

They definitely aren't doing anything super crazy while I'm gone. I just don't want to have to wonder how some larger crane job went or whatever while I'm completely cut off from contact. They can do that stuff without me but once in a while they need me to do something or at least advise them (although none of them would want to admit that on any given day). I just want to enjoy our trip and know that they aren't jammed up with anything. Keep it easy and safe while I'm gone. It's different if I am at least available by phone but this time I am not....for 9 days.

Question for you guys who have been doing this for decades. How long is your average GTC life cycle? 3-5 years? My wife keeps telling me that God is using them to humble me!

Also, I have one of these coming to me next week. Stoked!
1624487587279.png

Back