whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did a td at the highschool and middle school last week. Next week have to remove a giant ash in town with a subbed 40 ton crane and take a giant oak embedded in a cottage at a school for kids that otherwise would be in jail if not let go there probably with the same crane co.. 12 kids were in the one story cottage and a brick wall half way up the structure absorbed the blow or otherwise 12 kids could have been dead and in the news probably nationally. You can't see the tree on the roof and you can't see the tree thru the window. It is in the attic and how to hook it up is the dilemma. It paced off at 115' from the tippy top and to where it left the weeds and trunk is over the grass as I did not pace in the weeds. Probably another 20 ' in the woods.

Looking for a good source for a grapple for my s650 Bobcat that opens to 60" to pick up huge logs and it will have enough perimeter to the bite to not let the log fall out. Anybody have a good source? One I got has too small of a bite.

Went to a 6 year old birthday party yesterday with probably 50 people. Tons of kids (including my 4) swimming around in the pond and later shot off hundreds of dollars in fireworks. It's literally burning your money but hey, it's fun! Great day to take the mind off of the crazy. It was such a beautiful day.

Time for church.

Looking for a good source for a grapple for my s650 Bobcat that opens to 60" to pick up huge logs and it will have enough perimeter to the bite to not let the log fall out. Anybody have a good source? One I got has too small of a bite.

You’re not wanting a rotating grapple?
Just a question, but the bucket wouldn’t have been better for that tree?

Good question. It was kind of a toss up. I almost brought both, but the thought of working over the wires from street side or putting a truck that heavy on the neighbor’s freshly planted (albeit dead and unwatered) lawn turned me off to the idea. That and it would’ve been an extra trip to get the log truck the way things were with drivers (nobody is driving my kenworth yet, I’m just not ready lol). All that considered, plus the extra reach, this worked out to be the best setup.

The lift is slower but deadly and unstoppable, so kind of makes up for it. One of the things is you just can’t waste a bunch of moves going up and coming down like a typical bucket operator. If you come back down you take back up whatever you need. Lot of different things about the lifts from my experience. You have to do things in a different manner as not to get clobbered, since there really is no getting away from your cut. Positioning is obviously a huge part of it. Overall I’d say the lift has made me a better, smarter tree guy.

I figured taking the lift and the log truck in one trip made the most sense.
So you’re saying I should buy a lift ?

Good question. It was kind of a toss up. I almost brought both, but the thought of working over the wires from street side or putting a truck that heavy on the neighbor’s freshly planted (albeit dead and unwatered) lawn turned me off to the idea. That and it would’ve been an extra trip to get the log truck the way things were with drivers (nobody is driving my kenworth yet, I’m just not ready lol). All that considered, plus the extra reach, this worked out to be the best setup.

The lift is slower but deadly and unstoppable, so kind of makes up for it. One of the things is you just can’t waste a bunch of moves going up and coming down like a typical bucket operator. If you come back down you take back up whatever you need. Lot of different things about the lifts from my experience. You have to do things in a different manner as not to get clobbered, since there really is no getting away from your cut. Positioning is obviously a huge part of it. Overall I’d say the lift has made me a better, smarter tree guy.
I've got a rotating grapple and a straight root grapple for my tx1000 Dingo and I prefer the root grapple as it opens wider and doesn't diminish pick up capacity as it is not as far out and with the root grapple you can doze or push pieces together or to orient them in the right spot to pick up. So probably shopping for one of those. Just want one that doesn't cost over $4k and doesn't bend up easily.

This looks like a possibility at $2100 plus 1624813576613.png

I figured taking the lift and the log truck in one trip made the most sense.
So you’re saying I should buy a lift ?

It’s a good move. Just not that certain brand with the …. um, “issues”.

I wonder how the availability of the lifts is with the tree frenzy and all the other supply issues going on lately? Might wanna order now for next year if it’s anything like buying a truck.

What does anyone think about running a couple of big removal emergency crane jobs with the whole week this week forecast with unpredictable thunderstorms and I have to go to a wedding in NJ for 3 days the next week? The crane and bucket have rubber tires but the trees don't. Couldn't come at a worse time.

It’s a good move. Just not that certain brand with the …. um, “issues”.

I wonder how the availability of the lifts is with the tree frenzy and all the other supply issues going on lately? Might wanna order now for next year if it’s anything like buying a truck.

You mean that red brand?

I had to come down from the tree today because my guys were hootin and hollarin about a smell coming from the chipper. Smelt like blown clutch. Shut it down and waited. Smell went away and it was determined that someone drove by with a serious car issue.

You hillbillies need sidewalks!!!! WTH!!!,,, :dancing:
Jeff, it was a beautiful day!

I had to come down from the tree today because my guys were hootin and hollarin about a smell coming from the chipper. Smelt like blown clutch. Shut it down and waited. Smell went away and it was determined that someone drove by with a serious car issue.
If you got a Wraptor it is like taking the elevator instead of the stairs. Come down and go up all you want just leave the Wraptor rope in the tree.

Didn't see that before Jeffski replied to it. Well put. :popcorn2:

Back