whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im not Australian

and, your talking to a 15 year old here dumbass

Commercial Tree Care and Climbing

This forum is sponsored by
bearcatSM.gif

This Forum is for experienced tree climbers. Ask beginner or new to the business questions in the Arborist 101 Forum. Visit our forum sponsor HERE.

Go straight to the "beginner forum" then where you belong.

I appreciate the perspective that a second porty lift will give you more of a chance to run a second crew but you might underestimate the drastic difference of how much your work load will change when ALL the untreated ash are gone. Also a crane WILL give huge increases in revenue. Not likely to facilitate a second crew unless you can have one crew with the crane and a lift (the elevator or the porty) and the second crew with just an aerial device (like you run now).

Cranes are overthought in difficulty to set up and operate. I am on my 5th crane since my first in early 1970's. Each one got bigger and more useful but a 32 ton, 120 footer plus jib is a good starter and should cost less than what you are dropping on a new lift if you buy slightly used and there are a lot around (see the Crane Network). Actually the huge ones are a chore to set up and squash driveways and walks and can cost $ in that way.

Owning a crane just makes you hugely more diversified in the work you can do (trees over buildings...which are the largest $ jobs) and competitive with ANY other tree service. A second porty lift has its own challenges in damage that can be done by someone else other than you running such a delicate lift and damage that can be done while working it. Without a crane you can't really be considered a threat by other companies around you that have one. If you absolutely HAVE to buy a second lift...I'd sell that log truck in a heartbeat for a crane, and run a log truck like the old one you had...and just load it with the Giant....and buy a mini with grapple for back yards to forward to it.
I’m wondering what life after ash trees will be like. We’re pretty much wrapped up in southwest Connecticut. After next year they’ll be pretty much gone and anybody with money or that isn’t a cheap has already taking care of them. The ones that are left will be pretty nasty in general to remove next year and almost not even worth looking at. I would say the past 3 1/2 years over a third of the work has been ash trees.

I’m wondering what life after ash trees will be like. We’re pretty much wrapped up in southwest Connecticut. After next year they’ll be pretty much gone and anybody with money or that isn’t a cheap has already taking care of them. The ones that are left will be pretty nasty in general to remove next year and almost not even worth looking at. I would say the past 3 1/2 years over a third of the work has been ash trees.

We’ve still got a lot of ash trees up here. I’d say with the lifts I’ll still be working on super dead ones in the back yards for two, maybe three years. Sprinkled with the usual work and the fact that everything else is dying too, I’m not worried. Pay my bucket off this year, next year the Giant and the big chipper… and so on.

Times get real tough maybe I’ll have to start selling twig sawing and wiring trees… or add a crew doing town work with the bucket.

That thing maxed out at what...30'. And is that a wood chipper or a pencil sharpener in the background...can't tell

Got one…. easy fishing round here!!

Not meant to be a tree crane, it’s a handy ute, carries machines, lifts logs, 8 tonne payload, so during a day of spotted gum thinning, can leave the job with couple of grands timber on board, bit of a bonus, pay for beer for the crew.

Bandit 1390 on a Scania 6x4, 120 tonne GCM.

Fish eye lens & edge distortion.

But you already knew that grumpy old man….

Hahaha. You’re being way too kind with the grumpy old man comment, but that’s cool.

Just don’t go crying to the moderators, Zin. We like having you around. Snitching is a floggable offense here in the grumpy old man forum. Lol

Hahaha. You’re being way too kind with the grumpy old man comment, but that’s cool.

Just don’t go crying to the moderators, Zin. We like having you around. Snitching is a floggable offense here in the grumpy old man forum. Lol
not used to people liking having me around

im still a little traumatized by the buzz, lmao

I don’t really know the guy well enough to have an opinion. I remember meeting him over here I think. Seems like a pretty straight up bad ass tree dude. Maybe you just rub people the wrong way lol?

Maybe you just rub people the wrong way lol?
I 100% do
im never going to go out of my way to not offend someone

also, he has been banned from here atleast 3 times, just checked his account on the buzz, guess what, he posted a link to one of the threads I made here saying "his handle has changed but he hasnt" or something to that affect lmao

You are spot on. The ones left are life threatening to climb due to how fast ash wood deteriorates and how long they leave them and no access by even a potty lift. The ash to me was just like a hurricane or tornado in the work generated and urgency to get them out. Not a bad thing for us. The off shoots are treatments and you can often get to treat trees others started. Also new tree planting can be lucrative esp. in fall and spring when just getting going.

Latest posts

Back