whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh Yeah, I forgot about those. I have actually been thinking I may be forced to do either a mini or a mini-giant later this year. Not sure which yet (if I did).

It seems to me a regular mini with a nice grapple would probably be the most logical machine for a second crew. Something a ground guy could just hop on and off. Lifting height really isn’t an issue since we have the log truck, so really just need to forward. On the other hand that mini-giant does look like it’s gotta be sweet on lawns…. not sure how well that would fit into the way we do things, but it’s something to consider. Be interesting to hear any input from you guys?
Been running a giant 254t for 3 years and over 1,000hrs. In my opinion it is the ultimate residential tree machine. You can leave the plywood at home. It is unbelievable how easy on the grass it is. A buddy of mine has a ctx 100 and I would say with the right operator the 254t can run circles around it. It excels at feeding the chipper and overloading dump trailors with trunkwood

If you do get the giant 254t make sure you get the 13" turftires foam filled, weight kit and bmg grapple with rotator. Any questions please let me know.

Lift just kills everything. Sometimes we don’t get set up with all the equipment till 12:00, but then it’s game on. Like I said, different pace. Tea sipping followed by ass kicking. Lol
You need a tilt deck low boy to haul all that in 1 trip. Really not that expensive when your comparing it to multiple nice trailers trucks drivers and time.

Oh Yeah, I forgot about those. I have actually been thinking I may be forced to do either a mini or a mini-giant later this year. Not sure which yet (if I did).

It seems to me a regular mini with a nice grapple would probably be the most logical machine for a second crew. Something a ground guy could just hop on and off. Lifting height really isn’t an issue since we have the log truck, so really just need to forward. On the other hand that mini-giant does look like it’s gotta be sweet on lawns…. not sure how well that would fit into the way we do things, but it’s something to consider. Be interesting to hear any input from you

It seems to me a regular mini with a nice grapple would probably be the most logical machine for a second crew. Something a ground guy could just hop on and off. Lifting height really isn’t an issue since we have the log truck, so really just need to forward. On the other hand that mini-giant does look like it’s gotta be sweet on lawns…. not sure how well that would fit into the way we do things, but it’s something to consider. Be interesting to hear any input from you guys?
The only advantage of a mini wheel loader is that they have less important on lawns. But I don’t think a tracked mini is

Ditchwitch sk1550. I could go on and on, but trust me this is the mini skid you want. Definitely over a wheeled mini. It’s an absolute tank. Compact, nimble , goes anywhere and has a light footprint. If I had a highlight reel of mine you would order one tomorrow.

Alright! Thanks for the advice. You basically answered all questions and them some. Thank you for adding the pictures aswell. It means a lot.

Definitely excited for the lift. Climbing everyday is doable but not sustainable. I'm turning 32 this April and Happy to be in great health with no daily aches and pains yet. I once heard implementing a lift turned tree work from a job into a career. Looking forward to the added productivity/safety for this upcoming season.

I just turned 49 last month and what you’ve heard is definitely correct. I feel as productive, if not more so than when I was 25 with these machines. That’s no lie, just honest truth. Probably safer too. I still climb as needed, but these machines pretty much eliminate that.

Been running a giant 254t for 3 years and over 1,000hrs. In my opinion it is the ultimate residential tree machine. You can leave the plywood at home. It is unbelievable how easy on the grass it is. A buddy of mine has a ctx 100 and I would say with the right operator the 254t can run circles around it. It excels at feeding the chipper and overloading dump trailors with trunkwood

If you do get the giant 254t make sure you get the 13" turftires foam filled, weight kit and bmg grapple with rotator. Any questions please let me know.
Some action shots of wood staged with the giant and a log that was around 3500lbs if you can lift one end you can move it with the arbor trolly. Definitely a capable machine

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200731_105120.jpg
    MVIMG_20200731_105120.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 35
  • MVIMG_20200701_122820.jpg
    MVIMG_20200701_122820.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 35
  • 20210605_134954.jpg
    20210605_134954.jpg
    8.1 MB · Views: 34
  • 20210605_140807.jpg
    20210605_140807.jpg
    8.7 MB · Views: 34
The sk3000 is a real nice machine. But too big and not really a mini. You would be limited with access. The 1550 is under 48 inches. Going straight doesn’t really do any damage on lawns. If you have to turn then lay down a piece of plywood , it can spin 180 degrees on a single sheet. Anyways, it’s really not a big deal to lay plywood down if need be. You only have to put down a single row.
The 1550 is a tank. It’ll go through snow and mud no problem. Doesn’t really matter how much either. It will go places a wheeled mini simply can’t. It’s extremely stable and being able to hop on and off the machine is huge. I’m constantly hoping on and off the machine all day and I couldn’t imagine being in a cab. The only advantage of a wheel mini is being able to turn on lawns. The 1550 has a 44 hp turbo diesel. The giant 254 has a 25hp kubota… the 1550 isa total animal. It’ll lift a ton also (2000 pounds)

Some action shots of wood staged with the giant and a log that was around 3500lbs if you can lift one end you can move it with the arbor trolly. Definitely a capable machin
Sk 3000? Too big?
What about the Vermeer? I always found them interesting, even back in the dark ages when I was just a kid. They look nice.
Ditchwitch sk1550

I purchased a Giant 254T maybe 2 years ago and I would say for me anyway total game changer ! I freaking love that thing. I went with the dual tire set up and foam filled the inners. Like in Helmstein's pictures I took my drivers side "door" off for quicker access. Does not lift as much as my skid steer but it leaves literally no tracks and you can jump in and out so much faster. I have seen pictures of a Ditch Witch Zahn that was the only articulating machine I have ever seen that you stand on the back like a mini. If I ever came across one I would probably purchase that too !

The sk3000 is a real nice machine. But too big and not really a mini. You would be limited with access. The 1550 is under 48 inches. Going straight doesn’t really do any damage on lawns. If you have to turn then lay down a piece of plywood , it can spin 180 degrees on a single sheet. Anyways, it’s really not a big deal to lay plywood down if need be. You only have to put down a single row.
The 1550 is a tank. It’ll go through snow and mud no problem. Doesn’t really matter how much either. It will go places a wheeled mini simply can’t. It’s extremely stable and being able to hop on and off the machine is huge. I’m constantly hoping on and off the machine all day and I couldn’t imagine being in a cab. The only advantage of a wheel mini is being able to turn on lawns. The 1550 has a 44 hp turbo diesel. The giant 254 has a 25hp kubota… the 1550 isa total animal. It’ll lift a ton also (2000 pounds)
I would definitely agree the sk1550 at being more capable. If you want brute strength that skids its definitely a good choice. For us we pretty much work residential on nice lawns. driving the articulating wheel loader works best for us. As for snow operations. You would have to change to duel tires with chains on the outer wheel for it to excel. Also the giant is not great in the woods. If you don't flush cut all stumps it's can be frustrating. Also sitting does have its advantages/disadvantages. The giant is quick easy on/easy off but the sk1550 definitely has it beat in certain areas. If you need a residential tree care machine nothing is better in my opinion. I'm a fan on the 25hp motor no emmisions and never needed more power. You have a gas pedal"right side" and creep pedal"left side". you will be able to climb any hill granted you have traction.

The biggest advantage of the 254t is the teli function. You don't know how useful it is until you have one. Virtually never get stuck again. In 1000hrs we only had to assist it twice with recovery due to mud"last year was a wet one" keep in mind it only runs turf tires.

There is no perfect machine. Depending on your work, that will decide what machine works best. The giant 254t definitely hangs with the big boys!

I purchased a Giant 254T maybe 2 years ago and I would say for me anyway total game changer ! I freaking love that thing. I went with the dual tire set up and foam filled the inners. Like in Helmstein's pictures I took my drivers side "door" off for quicker access. Does not lift as much as my skid steer but it leaves literally no tracks and you can jump in and out so much faster. I have seen pictures of a Ditch Witch Zahn that was the only articulating machine I have ever seen that you stand on the back like a mini. If I ever came across one I would probably purchase that too !
Purple mattress makes a seat cusion that I highly recommend for the Giant seat. I've looked into a suspension seat but I don't think there is enough clearance under the rope.

Pro tip.
This is what we use

https://purple.com/seat-cushions/car

Not to be a downer, but I can't help but think you're not going to be leaving the plywood at home when you get that new lift. Even though your lift is considerably lighter than mine, I'm sure the tracks will still tear up lawns (i'm sure you know this, but just pointing it out). That's why I've never been too concerned about my giant being so heavy. I think the whole turf friendly thing would be huge if I were still climbing everything like back in the day, and based on that I can understand why some companies love that 254. I'm sure it's indispensable for a climbing operation, but if you have to plywood the lift in anyway, what's the point really, unless you're running a climbing crew (just thinking out loud here)? And after a few years running a 90' lift, climbing just seems kind of barbaric to me. Not that it's not still fun and doesn't have it's place, but just saying.

I probably wouldn't even be looking into smaller machines if they still made my giant v6004 tele. I looked into giant's replacement the G3500 tele a little, but on paper it's base weight is 1762 lbs. lighter (10,472 vs 8,710 lbs.). That and the tier 4 deal (now that they're made in the states) is the deal breaker for me. The next size up really does seem like it would be too big... especially with the pollution garbage making the ass end bigger yet. And even if I went with the biggest Avant they make it would still be a step down from my current unit (at least the way it looks on paper). That's why I'm looking into smaller machines. I just can't see spending the kind of money a bigger one costs and getting less machine than I currently have. That and it would be nice to have something a little simpler and more cost effective for the imaginary second crew I'm building in my head lol.

I would definitely agree the sk1550 at being more capable. If you want brute strength that skids its definitely a good choice. For us we pretty much work residential on nice lawns. driving the articulating wheel loader works best for us. As for snow operations. You would have to change to duel tires with chains on the outer wheel for it to excel. Also the giant is not great in the woods. If you don't flush cut all stumps it's can be frustrating. Also sitting does have its advantages/disadvantages. The giant is quick easy on/easy off but the sk1550 definitely has it beat in certain areas. If you need a residential tree care machine nothing is better in my opinion. I'm a fan on the 25hp motor no emmisions and never needed more power. You have a gas pedal"right side" and creep pedal"left side". you will be able to climb any hill granted you have traction.

The biggest advantage of the 254t is the teli function. You don't know how useful it is until you have one. Virtually never get stuck again. In 1000hrs we only had to assist it twice with recovery due to mud"last year was a wet one" keep in mind it only runs turf tires.

There is no perfect machine. Depending on your work, that will decide what machine works best. The giant 254t definitely hangs with the big boys!

There is no perfect machine. Depending on your work, that will decide what machine works best. The giant 254t definitely hangs with the big

They do have an advantage going over lawns. But over the course of the year, in my opinion, the versatility of having tracks out weighs the benefits of driving over lawns. I don’t think twice about taking the mini s
Not to be a downer, but I can't help but think you're not going to be leaving the plywood at home when you get that new lift. Even though your lift is considerably lighter than mine, I'm sure the tracks will still tear up lawns (i'm sure you know this, but just pointing it out). That's why I've never been too concerned about my giant being so heavy. I think the whole turf friendly thing would be huge if I were still climbing everything like back in the day, and based on that I can understand why some companies love that 254. I'm sure it's indispensable for a climbing operation, but if you have to plywood the lift in anyway, what's the point really, unless you're running a climbing crew (just thinking out loud here)? And after a few years running a 90' lift, climbing just seems kind of barbaric to me. Not that it's not still fun and doesn't have it's place, but just saying.

I probably wouldn't even be looking into smaller machines if they still made my giant v6004 tele. I looked into giant's replacement the G3500 tele a little, but on paper it's base weight is 1762 lbs. lighter (10,472 vs 8,710 lbs.). That and the tier 4 deal (now that they're made in the states) is the deal breaker for me. The next size up really does seem like it would be too big... especially with the pollution garbage making the ass end bigger yet. And even if I went with the biggest Avant they make it would still be a step down from my current unit (at least the way it looks on paper). That's why I'm looking into smaller machines. I just can't see spending the kind of money a bigger one costs and getting less machine than I currently have. That and it would be nice to have something a little simpler and more cost effective for the imaginary second crew I'm building in my head lol.
MDS, the 1550 is a game changer. It’s a tank that goes everywhere. The only problem is that you have to order one and the machine alone is going to be over $50k.

MDS, the 1550 is a game changer. It’s a tank that goes everywhere. The only problem is that you have to order one and the machine alone is going to be over $50k.

I'm not buying anything anytime soon anyway. I'm really just occupying my mind/researching the idea. What grapple are you running on yours? Pics?

MDS, the 1550 is a game changer. It’s a tank that goes everywhere. The only problem is that you have to order one and the machine alone is going to be over $
I'm not buying anything anytime soon anyway. I'm really just occupying my mind/researching the idea. What grapple are you running on yours? Pics?
Branch manager. No hydraulic swivel. I’ve had the same one for 9 years. 1st one I ordered with my first mini. Sk755, solid machine just too small. Branch manager can over-night any part you need also.

Attachments

• 096A6A26-2C23-41B0-B511-37538EEA5C27.jpeg
    096A6A26-2C23-41B0-B511-37538EEA5C27.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 24

You do have to realize that that extra hp is mostly needed due to the way the track machines fight themselves when turning, and probably has nothing to do with lifting…. maybe if you were harrowing fields or something lol. Just saying.

Big fan of Yanmar engines though! I’m on my second Yanmar powered JD tractor. First one was the best, second is pollution controlled up and a bit of a disappointment, but still a good engine at its core I’m sure. Both were in that same 44hp class.

Latest posts

Back