whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never understood the whole splicing thing.. I just "add an S"... I mean if you're that bored, isn't there something that needs greasing or sharpening? Just thinking out loud here...

Just something fun to learn. If I can splice my own stuff, I can save alot of money when buying tenex slings and other things. I do have plenty of maintanence to do also but gotta break it up a little.

Just something fun to learn. If I can splice my own stuff, I can save alot of money when buying tenex slings and other things. I do have plenty of maintanence to do also but gotta break it up a little.

Fair enough. And I can hear ya on the tenex sling thing, I need a couple as we speak.. well one anyway. I have a brand new 25 footer I just started using, it's way to long for all but the freakiest trees (what I bought it for), but I don't wanna cut it. I guess my thing would be what if something I spliced came apart and smashed someone's #### up... I would rather have that free of me (unless by overdoing it) and be able to blame sherril. I'm sure the tenex is probably pretty easy and safe enough, I would just rather not risk it personally.

Edit: and I saw a homemade splice come undone (or snap, can't remember which) years ago, so I could be biased on the matter..

Last edited:
Hey, I like to sit in a tree out in the cold and wait for a deer to come by... I'm not knocking what anyone else likes to do in their spare time... :)

I'd like to learn to splice but I just don't have the patience for it.

I have a 30' double braid sling that I love to set a snatch block with. It comes in real handy because I've always got enough line to tie a cow hitch/girth hitch which works much better when you're using you block as a snatch block. I have had a timber hitch roll out when heavily loaded horizontally.

Hey, I like to sit in a tree out in the cold and wait for a deer to come by... I'm not knocking what anyone else likes to do in their spare time... :)

I'd like to learn to splice but I just don't have the patience for it.

I have a 30' double braid sling that I love to set a snatch block with. It comes in real handy because I've always got enough line to tie a cow hitch/girth hitch which works much better when you're using you block as a snatch block. I have had a timber hitch roll out when heavily loaded horizontally.

That's funny, I've never had any problems with the timber.. and you know I max #### out bro! I do use a clove with my own twist on it after the clove a lot too, usually for smaller loads. I gotta abmit, I don't even know how to tie a cow hitch around a log... I mean I could figure it out easy enough, but never really felt the need.

It's just a simple girth hitch. Cow hitch / Girth hitch = same / same.

Much more stout than the timber hitch.

Last edited:
It's just a simple girth hitch. Cow hitch / Girth hitch = same / same.

Much more stout than the timber hitch.

Yeah, I know, I just never bothered trying it out. Treehoe has been swearing by the cow for years.

Maybe this year I'll give it a shot... it's just that I've only lost two logs rigging, one when a 3/4 (or 5/8, can't remember) snapped, and the other when I was hung over and must have tied the clove wrong.... oh, and the or two times I forgot to put the rope through the pulley after rigging it all up. Thankfully there was no damage any of those times! Lol.

I have almost done that because I was hurring to get the job done.

Yep. And sometimes I just get in the groove and try and rig stuff so fast that I know no other human could possibly do it any faster (ego)... and then oops, sorry about those hosta's ma'am, thankfully it's almost time to cut them back anyway!! You would think the ground guys would notice things like that and say something, unless you know how this game works, that is!

Once was enough for me ...

... oh, and the or two times I forgot to put the rope through the pulley after rigging it all up. Thankfully there was no damage any of those times! Lol.

I've only done that once, it was a huge trunk section too. Luckily it landed right on it's butt and didn't flip over into the pool house we were working by.

Things are picking up. The long awaited Cemetery contract was approved for half the work this year and half next year. Also the city has again invited me to bid on 8 large ash removals this week. (The city is in the culling of dying and stressed ash tree phase recommended by the state biologist.) We've had some assurances that they are going to call for a vote and not necessarily go with the lowest bid. They see the need now to spread the wealth. So resident removal artist...aka grandpa hack and stack, can't bump me with a negative sum game like he did last time when I didn’t even bid cause no one let me know about it. Nice work for this time of year. If I get it, I’m going to call Bandit in for a demo and invite council members to drop by and see the difference in productivity.

I've been working on advertising alot lately. I was putting up cards and flyers everywhere too, but now I've merged the two into one. The cards are too small, the flyers too big, so now I arrange three abreast widthwise on an 8.5x11 and I'm good. I slice them up on my handy dandy paper slicer and I've got postings 3.5x8.5. They are real handy and look pretty good amongst the maze of cards and flyers. Not to mentions I'm saving on paper and ink, which isn't a large cost until you have to go fetch some when it's inconvenient.

View attachment 218230

Hated to read about that rope/chipper incident the other day. It’s a pet peeve of mine, but at least my son got to read about it and take it to heart and mind.

Last edited:
So I tried to splice my 16 strand safety blue ultra-vee rope last night. I got to the point where you have to pull the cover back threw the rope that has the core in it. I couldn't use my regular fid, so I tried to use a coat hanger. I cant seem to get the dang cover to slide threw past the core because the cover is so tight over the core that I cant get it to accordian up. There has to be a trick. Can anyone help me?

attachment.php

attachment.php

I don't know if he posts here, but NickinWI is the master at splicing.....

Had a few calls at the FD this morning, locked up a decent job to do in a couple of weeks when the ice is a bit more thicker/safer. Going out snowmobiling with the kids .....once they get ready!:msp_smile:

Very sad, heard about it the day it happened, Bixler tree texed me (the guy in the vid chipping some limbs for fox 40) to let me know the situation, it was up in nevada city, about 40min. from me

very sad indeed. was the guy on the ground or in the tree, the story was a little confusing

customer no show

Went out to finish a job we started on Monday. One removal, a few trims and grind the stump. Anyway, the phone dosn't ring much this time of year and when it does Im greatful. I got a call Monday, and I set up a time to meet with the customer at 1:30 today. Its 1:00 and Im half done the stump. Not wanting to be late, I stop what Im doing, and head off on a 12 mile drive. I get there with 2 minutes to spare. I walk up, knock on the door, and the fkers not home. My head is smokin! no note, no call, nothin. Would it be out of line to send her a bill, for wasting my time and expenses?

Don't let the heat of the moment make you do something you might regret later. People are human and make mistakes and forget sometimes. I have had it happen on a occasion and try to just keep it in perspective. Sure it pisses you off but don't burn any bridges on account of it. I had one guy forget me a couple of years ago when we were supposed to meet for a bid, I called him, he emphatically apologized and we rescheduled. I ended up doing that property for him (which was a rental), his own home, his mother's home and his commercial property.

Back