whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleaning the ocean water out of my ears, and I'm ready to hit the trees. I've been paranoid about work this whole week. It was noice to shake those worries off with a pair of goggles and flippers, but the sooner I forget about all of that the better.

Plowed and shoveled snow all day yesturday. Neighbor had his snow blower sitting in the middle of his driveway by the road. I thought he ran outta gas, so I called him. He said the pull cord broke and he wasnt messing with it. He is going to buy a new snow blower today. Said I can have it. Nice older tracked cub cadet snow blower. Plug the elec cord into it and it must have old fuel in it and is running like crap. Gonna fix it up and use it on one of my jobs. Can't beat it for free.

Plowed and shoveled snow all day yesturday. Neighbor had his snow blower sitting in the middle of his driveway by the road. I thought he ran outta gas, so I called him. He said the pull cord broke and he wasnt messing with it. He is going to buy a new snow blower today. Said I can have it. Nice older tracked cub cadet snow blower. Plug the elec cord into it and it must have old fuel in it and is running like crap. Gonna fix it up and use it on one of my jobs. Can't beat it for free.

Sweet! We had one of those, was a beast! I am already tired of the snow, guess I would feel better about it if I was plowing!

Spread salt early saturday morning at a few properties. 1rst snow/ice related work we've done yet this winter. Was nice to at least take my newest truck out 1 time.
It'd take alot to get me burn out on plowing/salting the money is just too good. You're doing it as a sub right?

Spread salt early saturday morning at a few properties. 1rst snow/ice related work we've done yet this winter. Was nice to at least take my newest truck out 1 time.
It'd take alot to get me burn out on plowing/salting the money is just too good. You're doing it as a sub right?
Ya know, yur right. I think, when I do finally get blades, I will sub instead of contract, think it would be a lot less headaches and I got some buddys that have some big accounts, wal-mart, lowes, kohls, etc.

I was saying that because I'd rather be the one with the contracts! Make a lot more money. Butt there is that little detail that I can't go anywhere in the winter because I have to manage the everything. If you have the contacts to sub and can send a couple guys out to drive your trucks for somebody else and they're reliable that would be easier. and less stressfull.

I do some plowing myself, but I also sub alot out also. Its kinda great to sit back and let someone else beat there truck up and make $20 a hour off of them.

I was saying that because I'd rather be the one with the contracts! Make a lot more money. Butt there is that little detail that I can't go anywhere in the winter because I have to manage the everything. If you have the contacts to sub and can send a couple guys out to drive your trucks for somebody else and they're reliable that would be easier. and less stressfull.
LOL! I missed that! I used to hold a few biggies, I remember the stress, but I do remember the money too! Valid points on both sides of that coin! Think, like I said, be a sub this time, if I no likey, I'll go after my own. U guys ever have volunteers? I had guys just start plowing in my big lots! Doing demos I guess!

Have shown up and job already done, one place they even shoveled all of the townhomes front walks and steps which we weren't supposed to do! Did my thing and invoiced and got paid as usual.

Stopped in a shopping center to catch up on phone calls one night and had a couple guys beg me to help them because they were overbooked. Offered $150/hour, of course I knew they were subs cause I saw the ad for help online and they were planning on paying after they got paid-NOT!

The problem here is the feat/famine nature of snow removal. One year you barely make enough to make it worth while , the next you can barely keep up with seasonal contracts.

I've done a little subbing with my blower, but the hours suck :laugh: I'm getting too old to get up in the middle of the night to move snow.

The aftermath removal part is cake though, dump and loader hauling stuff off with your logo on the truck makes for some good advertisement. I've worked with that subbing out.

I had a client with a lot of big loaders who would have 50-75k per day in bill through on trucking alone with big snows. He had muni contracts to assist getting major roadways and intersections cleared out. One laoder can work three or four trucks, depending on where the dumpsite is. Some times the have them dumping near waterways with loaders and dozers pushing the piles back, back, back

The problem here is the feat/famine nature of snow removal. One year you barely make enough to make it worth while , the next you can barely keep up with seasonal contracts.

I've done a little subbing with my blower, but the hours suck :laugh: I'm getting too old to get up in the middle of the night to move snow.

The aftermath removal part is cake though, dump and loader hauling stuff off with your logo on the truck makes for some good advertisement. I've worked with that subbing out.

I had a client with a lot of big loaders who would have 50-75k per day in bill through on trucking alone with big snows. He had muni contracts to assist getting major roadways and intersections cleared out. One laoder can work three or four trucks, depending on where the dumpsite is. Some times the have them dumping near waterways with loaders and dozers pushing the piles back, back, back

I've tried and tried but i can't seem to find any snow contracts :(

Its only snowed here twice, so I know a lot of guys are hurting, guessing that there will be blades for sell come spring. That's the thing, if ya count on it, it wont come, but when ya don't care, it dumps! I'll get blades and get set up, but I wont count on it, if it happens, great, if not. Back to work then!
Meet a HO on a big project today. We are a go, soon as the closing is done(only thing that worry's me) House has been sitting for some years, everything is outa control, ripping everything out but a few bigen's, replanting all new trees. Removing about 40 30-50ftrs, all landscape, all stumps, a fence lol. We are taking it all! Then coming back and redoing everything,including new walls and hardscape, patio, outdoor kitchen. I'm not doing that stuff tho, handing that to a bud. I'll stick to the trees!This is going to be a pretty big deal. Shooting from the hip. This guy will end up around 50g's in his yard, and he still has to gut the inside! Must be nice to have that kinda loot hanging around. He intends to move in and sell his current home when they are done, says he plans on it taking a couple years. Additions planned as well. Gunza be a blast. Going to rent 3 stump grinders and have a party! He is having me do a soil test so we can select the best suited for his yard, he has a acre and I told him how many samples I would need to take, he's like "go for it" So finally, I get a project that I here u guys talk about all the time, as I read in envy! Someone who is actually interested in the full deal, not just ropes,saws and chippers. I get to use some brains! Hope I can find them..........

I see some shakeups went down while I was gone, I always miss the posts that get deleted, so I never see what was said, but guess that's the point.

Sounds like a nice project Scott. I got to meet a HOA Pres tomorrow at another condo complex. Small project but I am guessing they are not satisfied with the last tree service they used. It's a foot in the door for me and I'm hoping it turns into bigger and better things...

Looks like a few posters got sent to band camp...

I think there should be a route that only lead's to this thread if you are a tree guy.
I have thought about this and have come to the conclusion that too many are posting in the commercial thread, when they should be posting in the 101 thread.
We jump on them hard and yet, we don't see what drew them here.
FTA and AA would be a good conversation if it was directed to the proper thread.
I think we would be more responsive, in a positive, than if they invaded our d i c k clique!
Jeff :msp_tongue:

Last edited:
Hey, the internet is free. I kind of like reading their posts. Some of them are hilarious. Only reason I said anything about someone posting on this thread is that it was vets thread and know that he made it clear how he felt about that person. I thought it was a little disrespectful. I mean if someone flat out told me they didn't like me posting to their thread I would quit. Other than that, I don't have any problems with anyone posting anything they want to as long as it's not flat out wrong information like something that could get someone hurt. But really... Who gives a #### what i think anyway. :biggrin:

Hey, the internet is free. I kind of like reading their posts. Some of them are hilarious. Only reason I said anything about someone posting on this thread is that it was vets thread and know that he made it clear how he felt about that person. I thought it was a little disrespectful. I mean if someone flat out told me they didn't like me posting to their thread I would quit. Other than that, I don't have any problems with anyone posting anything they want to as long as it's not flat out wrong information like something that could get someone hurt. But really... Who gives a #### what i think anyway. :biggrin:

So let them post it in the 101 thread!
How about a thread for total newbie's and wannbe's?
Yup!
Jeff

Latest posts

Back