whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Realized I never got an order confirmation from southco on the toolbox and headache rack yesterday, so I called and left the guy a message. Hopefully he gets back to me today. He said he put the order in, but I never even put anything down on the work, and without a confirmation I'm a little worried. I would almost rather just pay for the stuff now and done with it... something about spending that kind of money in the middle of winter just doesn't feel right.

That and still waiting on the new compressor so we can get jamming on the chipper paint job. I'm probably gonna be almost broke again after all this, but I'm gonna have some sweet stuff!! Lol.

One good thing today, I bought a few trees and they threw in a house!:laugh: The seller accepted our offer and the bank dude said we are approved so I guess we are movin on up like the Jeffersons....

Hey, Way to go! Hope ya do well!:msp_biggrin:[/QUOTE]

Thx for all the "likes" guys. Sounds like we get keys March 25.

Pruning a pin oak and removing a couple 40ft dead spruce's, oak is a climber and I am so NOT feeling it today! Up at 2, had to stretch my neck out, then get it to crack, sounds like your stepping on bubble wrap, get a little relief but still so tight, feels like I am in a brace. Hopefully it loosen's up! If not, oh well, gotta make the donuts.

Realized I never got an order confirmation from southco on the toolbox and headache rack yesterday, so I called and left the guy a message. Hopefully he gets back to me today. He said he put the order in, but I never even put anything down on the work, and without a confirmation I'm a little worried. I would almost rather just pay for the stuff now and done with it... something about spending that kind of money in the middle of winter just doesn't feel right.

That and still waiting on the new compressor so we can get jamming on the chipper paint job. I'm probably gonna be almost broke again after all this, but I'm gonna have some sweet stuff!! Lol.

I'd stay on him. I hate it when you think something is being done, only to find out that the order is still sitting on a desk. I hear ya on spending the money. You would have spent it on something tho, might as well be something ya need! Even if I don't really need anything, I always budget money to buy toys. Once a month I go to Vermeer and buy stuff, whether it be extra or something new.You tho, are buying BIG toys!

"Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it"

You can't go wrong putting your money into your equipment. Only way to lose there is if someone steals it from you.

I hear ya. we just picked up our chipper truck yesterday (after dumping a nice chunk of change on new clutch, throwout bearing and some other work) and drove it strait to a welding place to get a price on torching off the bed top and adding about 18 in to give us more height/capacity. He's gonna call this morning with a quote. If the price is right or even bearable we're having that done then it goes to the suspension place for new beefier springs. From there its going to the body shop for some front end patching, a whole new paint job and company graphics. All that and dumping a couple k$ into the stump grinders and $$ into a new website.. in the middle of winter...

I'm gambling on an early and VERY productive spring

Just thought I'd add that this website has been a great motivational tool for me. A breath of fresh air. Really the only place that I know of where I could come and talk trees with other tree care pros. Things started getting kinda dull, I donno repetitious even. Now I'm starting to step up my game again. Glad I found this place :rock:

SJ. Moving your dump top up would be a fairly easy task. Why dont you save yourself some money and do it yourself. #### come on out here and I'll be happy to cut your top off and re weld it on for you. I like fabricating.

Just thought I'd add that this website has been a great motivational tool for me. A breath of fresh air. Really the only place that I know of where I could come and talk trees with other tree care pros. Things started getting kinda dull, I donno repetitious even. Now I'm starting to step up my game again. Glad I found this place :rock:

Good point! It's the same for me. I was stuck in the rut observing my local competition and kinda stuck in that same old minset. It's nice to come on here and gain some different insight. My years here (all the ass busting has been fun too!) have definitely helped me step up my game.

And I hear you guys on investing in your equipment. I kinda look at it like I have to make leaps to the next tier when I can. That's how I bought the cab and chassis for my International. That year I grossed like 20 or 25k more than the year before, so I dropped 20 on that, just to get it out of my account before it went to something else. Like scott said, you wind up spending it on something anyway. I kinda feel good about putting some of my recent good fortune with the storm back into the economy too.. doing my part, if you will.

Now where are my damn toys!! :cry:

Good point! It's the same for me. I was stuck in the rut observing my local competition and kinda stuck in that same old minset. It's nice to come on here and gain some different insight. My years here (all the ass busting has been fun too!) have definitely helped me step up my game.

And I hear you guys on investing in your equipment. I kinda look at it like I have to make leaps to the next tier when I can. That's how I bought the cab and chassis for my International. That year I grossed like 20 or 25k more than the year before, so I dropped 20 on that, just to get it out of my account before it went to something else. Like scott said, you wind up spending it on something anyway. I kinda feel good about putting some of my recent good fortune with the storm back into the economy too.. doing my part, if you will.

Now where are my damn toys!! :cry:

You're such an altruist. I'm sure Dupont appreciates it. lol

SJ. Moving your dump top up would be a fairly easy task. Why dont you save yourself some money and do it yourself. #### come on out here and I'll be happy to cut your top off and re weld it on for you. I like fabricating.

hell I'd have it done here, got 220 and a crane to lift the top off - too much snow..I think these guys are going to be fairly reasonable. thanks for the offer bro

Got a couple jobs that have to be done next week. Probably going to have to pack all the brush on the crane truck and the little crane/dump truck. Haven't used that old girl in a while

BTW, how's that kitchen coming along? You ever find those stencils Laura wanted and get them on and popping? :laugh:

#### that kitchen! Think today I'm gonna rummage around, see if I can't find my balls, and take a long drive on some dirt roads. After I make Laura breakfast that is. Wouldn't want her to wake up cranky.

Went to check the ground to see if there was enough frost on a job I bid back in November that the HO wanted to wait till it was froze. Was to take off a huge Maple limb going over house and lift the tree up a little, lift up another Maple on side of the house and clear some hazard limbs and take the dead limbs off a pine. He actually wanted me to "top" the 2 Maples but I was able to talk him out of it. Well to my suprise when I pulled up, he had someone else do it and was a total disaster. The huge limb on the front Maple was down but they left about 6' coming off the trunk (really looked bad, is about 24" DIA) and they totally ruined the Maple on the side. Topped everything over 50' and they were all about 8-10" DIA cactus looking thing, I should have taken pics, just ruined what was a very nice healthy tree and then took almost every limb off of one side of that pine. Most of the people who ask me to top their trees (which I don't) are old timers. I don't understand how they think that it looks good??? They also took down a Linden at his son's house I had bid and looked like that went ok. That was a bummer because I actually had it bid right and would have been a nice down payment for that stump grinder but that's how it goes. Just distraught on the hack job. This was the last job on my board. Guess it's time to take care of that rust on the bottom of my chip box!

FML!!! So I get there to remove the white pine (thought it was a spruce, couldn't remember) guys forgot to load my gaffs! Get'er down anyhow, just not as easy as I thought. Get into the oak, snow and ice all over the tops of the branches and I gotta go out to the tips to work. Must have snowed more there, they are about 8 miles north of us. Had at least 2", we were barely dusted. Get them, but with much hate, feet kept slipping on the snow and ice. Find out that the HO is in Florida, so gotta wait to get paid. Gotta wait for snow to melt off the roof. They added some branches from another oak, branch is laying on the roof by a power head, so we need to get up there. Roof is 8/12 pitch so, no go with da snow. Stupid little climb, but feel like I have been in a tree for a week straight, that is lame. Oh well! I could be getting shot at or I could have been born in Syria, so I guess I shouldn't ##### to much.

Still California bound, couldn't happen any faster. Told him that if he needs me now. I'll go. I'll park my stuff and let it sit for the time being, if that means I can take a break from going up, I'm down!

Wife is on me about selling the name and all the media, client list and contact list. I dunno bout that, not sure if I even want to mess with all that. Got it set so my disability pay will cover the little payment I have. So I really don't need to worry about selling the stuff right away, but don't want to leave it on my F-I-L to handle it for me when I move out there.

My "Q" to you all, my brodders, what kind of numba should I put to that sort a thing. Figured I would get the cost of the site, as if I paid full price, then deduct some since he did it for free for me. But the client/contact list, name, etc. I have no clue. I have many hi-end clients that do not go to bid, just call me, what is something like that worth? Biz name has great rep, not one unhappy customer and no accidents. A few mean neighbors tho!

If need be, I can move this to the 101 thread!

Last edited:
FML!!! So I get there to remove the white pine (thought it was a spruce, couldn't remember) guys forgot to load my gaffs! Get'er down anyhow, just not as easy as I thought. Get into the oak, snow and ice all over the tops of the branches and I gotta go out to the tips to work. Must have snowed more there, they are about 8 miles north of us. Had at least 2", we were barely dusted. Get them, but with much hate, feet kept slipping on the snow and ice. Find out that the HO is in Florida, so gotta wait to get paid. Gotta wait for snow to melt off the roof. They added some branches from another oak, branch is laying on the roof by a power head, so we need to get up there. Roof is 8/12 pitch so, no go with da snow. Stupid little climb, but feel like I have been in a tree for a week straight, that is lame. Oh well! I could be getting shot at or I could have been born in Syria, so I guess I shouldn't ##### to much.

Still California bound, couldn't happen any faster. Told him that if he needs me now. I'll go. I'll park my stuff and let it sit for the time being, if that means I can take a break from going up, I'm down!

Wife is on me about selling the name and all the media, client list and contact list. I dunno bout that, not sure if I even want to mess with all that. Got it set so my disability pay will cover the little payment I have. So I really don't need to worry about selling the stuff right away, but don't want to leave it on my F-I-L to handle it for me when I move out there.

My "Q" to you all, my brodders, what kind of numba should I put to that sort a thing. Figured I would get the cost of the site, as if I paid full price, then deduct some since he did it for free for me. But the client/contact list, name, etc. I have no clue. I have many hi-end clients that do not go to bid, just call me, what is something like that worth? Biz name has great rep, not one unhappy customer and no accidents. A few mean neighbors tho!

If need be, I can move this to the 101 thread!

My guess would be to use profit loss statement as a guide and to show would be buyer the value then haggle a price. The bottom line is if you sell to someone you know will uphold the principals you earned You may want to help him if no one in mind just set a price and let high bidder have it. If he does shoddy work and loses customers it ain't your fault. jmo.

Back