whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not an amazing day, but I did get a bunch of money in. Also looked at a job or two, and locked in another one from yesterday. Did manage to get pictures of that elm tree, though I don't think they are very good due to the cloud cover. It's the big green monster behind the hawthorne, trunk pick is taken from about 80' away, the other is well over 100. Of course it's right over the septic.
she's a biggin but I think if our crew went out, normally 4, with one extra guy it would be a 12-14 hour job tops, with out a crane, we have yet to go over 10 hours on any tree and we have done some bogus stuff. ##pics may be deceiving but I am basing it off of one of the 200 huge american elms our crew took down last year

Not an amazing day, but I did get a bunch of money in. Also looked at a job or two, and locked in another one from yesterday. Did manage to get pictures of that elm tree, though I don't think they are very good due to the cloud cover. It's the big green monster behind the hawthorne, trunk pick is taken from about 80' away, the other is well over 100. Of course it's right over the septic.

Do people laugh or cry when you give them an estimate?

Did you bid on it?
Jeff

Yes, 12K using a 120 ton crane.

I don't care if they laugh, cry, or have a heart attack, but if I get the job I they better pay. Local low bidding hack told them 6K, let him have it.

As far as hours on the job goes... I think that if I had a 4 man crew with all good guys on the ground I could have it brushed out in a day, and have the wood down in another day... but then you still have to get that big stuff out of there, and you can't go over the septic... and going through the woods repeatedly with heavy equipment would be tough.

Last edited:
today was a nice easy day and we had some laughs too.

tall spread out ash that was like three inches from the primarys back in an alley we shut down the power obviously well everyone on the block was fine with it but this one couple I'm not sure exactly was said between the foreman and the guy but he was pissssssssed. when we took break the two mexis were sitting right by these peps property the lady, might I add very large lady, comes out and starts yelling at them because they are just sitting down eating(that's what we do at break) she told us very "firmly" that we needed to finish right now they said we'll be done by 12 "no you need to finish right now because I just went grocery shopping yesterday" (it was already 10) she kept freaking out "I'm gonna call the village the police your boss hell probably her congressman too..." so we said the numbers on the side of the truck then she called the office and was told to f off (the secretaries were out or busy so one of the very grumpy owners answered :hmm3grin2orange: we just happened to run till about 1 then I don't think they called the power co. til about 3 pays to not piss off the guys who control your power.

I don't care if they laugh, cry, or have a heart attack, but if I get the job I they better pay. Local low bidding hack told them 6K, let him have it.

As far as hours on the job goes... I think that if I had a 4 man crew with all good guys on the ground I could have it brushed out in a day, and have the wood down in another day... but then you still have to get that big stuff out of there, and you can't go over the septic... and going through the woods repeatedly with heavy equipment would be tough.

have a log cart? thats how we'd get it out to the road...you cant go over the septic but what happens if you put down a plywood road right along the woods and go out with the mini? they couldn't have gone right up the edge of the woods with the septic that would be suicide. also something else to think about get the septic mapped out maybe the way it is layed out you might gain a little extra room and not even know its available you might have room between the lines in the leach field and as long as you stayed between the lines your good.

Heartbeat of this thread? The thread has been bleeding to death for 1000 pages. It seems funny (lol ha ha) that I got banned and yet the MDS and Matt debacle was allowed to carry on beyond reason. What does it take for a clique member to get banned? Making the beanie boy a mod was a great idea for protecting the clique together in this bottle.

The gang that has taken over this forum can sting each other to death as no normal person would tolerate the goings on in this forum at this point. A degrading and downhill slide is what this whole website is heading into. Enjoy your own company boys, the men have left.

the Aerialist

Your a tard! You have absolutely no business being on here, stick on the 101 forum dougie......Someone hit the Ban button quick!

Last edited:
View attachment 237514View attachment 237515View attachment 237516View attachment 237517View attachment 237518
Did these 2 yesterday, spruce between the house and service line, then the silver maple over the cottage and septic, weather cooperated so that was good, tree was in bad shape. All the big wood stayed, the owner wanted us to leave the base of the stump cut at 4' so they can have like a table or? whateva! I do what the customer requests. Also inside were some baby squirrels about 15'. We saved em!

Nice work Deevo.

What's up with the orange boxes? Where I'd you get them? I'd like to have one to transport fuel and oil in.

Hear ya there, I bid a dead euc in Mission Valley for $$$. Totally fair price, another company is gonna bid it tomorrow. My bid includes a crane and done in one day. They figure they don't need a crane and I bet my bid is under his. Here in San Diego, I can get a 90 ton for about $3600 for a ten hour day. If I bid this without a crane, it would be 5 guy's for at least 4 day's. We will see.
Jeff :smile2:

There's your smile!

tall spread out ash that was like three inches from the primarys back in an alley we shut down the power obviously well everyone on the block was fine with it but this one couple I'm not sure exactly was said between the foreman and the guy but he was pissssssssed. when we took break the two mexis were sitting right by these peps property the lady, might I add very large lady, comes out and starts yelling at them because they are just sitting down eating(that's what we do at break) she told us very "firmly" that we needed to finish right now they said we'll be done by 12 "no you need to finish right now because I just went grocery shopping yesterday" (it was already 10) she kept freaking out "I'm gonna call the village the police your boss hell probably her congressman too..." so we said the numbers on the side of the truck then she called the office and was told to f off (the secretaries were out or busy so one of the very grumpy owners answered :hmm3grin2orange: we just happened to run till about 1 then I don't think they called the power co. til about 3 pays to not piss off the guys who control your power.

have a log cart? thats how we'd get it out to the road...you cant go over the septic but what happens if you put down a plywood road right along the woods and go out with the mini? they couldn't have gone right up the edge of the woods with the septic that would be suicide. also something else to think about get the septic mapped out maybe the way it is layed out you might gain a little extra room and not even know its available you might have room between the lines in the leach field and as long as you stayed between the lines your good.

You seem to have a 'Septic fettish'. Do you have bad dreams about a job gone bad and you wake-up in a sweat?
It's OK, just relax---- ahhhhh
Jeff :msp_confused:

Was on the road and working for 13.5 hours today. Had to get up at 5 and go take care of some family ####. Lord knows I try to avoid drama at all costs and nip problems in the bud before it becomes drama but kind of hard to do when it's family. Anyway, I finally made it to work late. Almost finished my HOA work today but I got a call on a bid that wanted to reschedule yesterday and had to leave to go meet her. Glad I did, she's hot! They kept adding work at my HOA so I am going to be there another day anyway. Been really busting ass and working long hours lately. Not a lot of fun time. When I am off a day I am too tired to do anything but rest. It's a good thing I guess.

I'm about to drop some serious coin an a new truck here in the next couple of weeks. I am torn between a half ton and 3/4. I am wanting a nice bid truck to have
lettered up but need a 3/4 to haul equipment. I am thinking about the gas situation. Oh well, I am in no hurry. I'm searching for a good deal. I've been so busy that I have not had time to search in earnest yet. Another good thing as every day it's another grand or better towards the truck fund. I guess I'll just wait and see what comes along.

Last edited:

Yeah... I just don't see it. 12k is too much for 2 days work with a four man crew...... 6k is a fair bid. Are you including grinding the stump too? What kind of equipment do you have? If you have a skid steer and mats you could drop and haul all the wood in one day easy.

Also if you don't want to use a crane just send two climbers up to brush it out.... two good guys in the tree and you'll definitely have the tops down by the afternoon

Been home the last two days(See all my posts)but applied on line to a local company that comes highly recommended, Monday. Today they called and I go interview in the morning. I am kind of happy doing what I'm doing jumping around from company to company as needed, makes me feel independent, but the wifes been on me about getting a real job. Their only 15 20 min. away too. It'll be interesting.
I'm pretty picky who I'll work for, I have to remember,"be humble".

Have you taken the spark arrest screen out of the muffler?
No, should I? I dropped it off today after our first job to be looked at.

According to Stihl reps, the screen should be left in, so you don't start fires while going prematurely deaf.
I took mine out and tossed it in the trash. It would periodically carbon up even though I'm running premium gas mixed at 50:1

Nice work Deevo.

What's up with the orange boxes? Where I'd you get them? I'd like to have one to transport fuel and oil in.

I do quite a bit of lake work (water access only) I can put a lot of extras in the boxes, and keeps the saws and stuff protected, and good to throw other stuff into as well. Got them from my local Husky dealer (I've had em for about 7 years)

just as it stopped raining and the sun came out my friend calls me says he needs me to help cut grass. I have always been looking forward to the day I got on one of those mowers and let er rip...and to tell a secret- I have also been a little scared to.
Boy what fun! Started going sideways full tilt right off the bat sliding across the wet grass, the one blade hit a metal birdfeeder post as I bounced off of it, the feeder and squirll cone fall on me but i was able to keep from slidding further into the unkempt where a mower like that ain't much good for anything save for being a major ####ing problem and a noisy one at that.

Don't know where that propane tank came from but them things can take a good nudge. Speaking of which: These mowers are tough, drag a good size rock quite a ways, it would impress a man, it did in fact-me.

I had been running under tree limbs - boy that sucks- I guess a dead branch fell on the muffler- smelt a wood fire- looked behind me and there it following me. I couldn't get away from it, I almost jumped off and ran.

Which is what i did with the self-propelled walk behind. I had to cause the first time it got away from me and ended jumping up on a stone wall.

What happened was I was getting used to it then idiot flys by on the rider and scares the #### out me when I was turning the thing and get into the place I was about to go. I didn't know where to try and point the thing next. Those walk behinds are nuts which is why when the guy did it again I just let go of the machine thinking it would stop but it went about 20 feet cutting into the neighbors pacyhasandra before actually shutting down completely. When i got it out I scalped a metal well head with it.

5 hours of that I was ready for more so tommorow i just might. We are doing some huge properties in little time. I can't beleive just how fast and good these mowers are. I am lucky to be OK much less alive from all of these. I didn't wack any roots or tree trunks. Wrastled a lot of raspberry, low hanging limbs and slid into a spruce ( ouch) here and there but no real damage.

Last edited:

Its a good idea just to point to the truck and calmly tell the irate people to call the number that's on it. I do it everytime... even though there is no number on my truck.:msp_tongue:

just as it stopped raining and the sun came out my friend calls me says he needs me to help cut grass. I have always been looking forward to the day I got on one of those mowers and let er rip...and to tell a secret- I have also been a little scared to.
Boy what fun!

Say what you will about the mental acumen of the average lawn guy...but it's a better business model. The razor blade model, billing every week during the growing season with 1/50 of the risk. Screw that, I say. Instead, I slave away in trees over photovoltic systems and tile roofs with the monetary equivalent of a dozen riding mowers sitting beneath me in the form chip trucks, grinders and chippers. And I'll only be there once every few years or just once, ever. Yeah, I'm superior. A superior jackass.

Latest posts

Back