whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Grim Reaper waits for every man ...

Don't worry, I'm sure eventually, the trees aren't gonna suffer you too lightly either!! And that doesn't do it, FATHER TIME isn't very far behind!! Just sayin..:)

Oh yes MDS Father Time awaits, and I am very well along my road of Life. I have no regrets. For me it was tree work or Golf, and many my age would have opted for shuffleboard, especially with my motorcycle accident at age 60 that put me in the Trauma Ward for a week.

I took up tree work and found that the thrill of it was very similar to skydiving. I don't even need the money, I just love the challenge. Hey if you decide to come visit you can bring 101 along as your date. I'll give him some of the hugs like his mother never gave him! We can work out all the issues that have been coming between us and have a good 'ole time. Kumbyiya and all that!

the Aerialist

I thought you hated your mom Eddie?? Didn't you say she burned you out of like 30k, and never hugged you enough as a baby?? Wasn't that what you told me on the phone?? Wow.. good on you for getting over that!! :hmm3grin2orange:

Edit: LOL!!
Maybe I should have clarified when I said mom I meant my wife , because I have a 11 and 6 year old I am in charge of things they wanna do for my wife , and as for my mom yea paul its been like 12 years now since all that went down , real nasty stuff there and you airing it out would bother me if it wasn't true , so yes everyone I had let's just say a strained relationship with my mom I feel some of what she did was unforgiveable ... I just am thankful that I have my wife ... And if tonight goes the way I feel its heading I am sure you'll hear about all that as well LOL its all good though

Maybe I should have clarified when I said mom I meant my wife , because I have a 11 and 6 year old I am in charge of things they wanna do for my wife , and as for my mom yea paul its been like 12 years now since all that went down , real nasty stuff there and you airing it out would bother me if it wasn't true , so yes everyone I had let's just say a strained relationship with my mom I feel some of what she did was unforgiveable ... I just am thankful that I have my wife ... And if tonight goes the way I feel its heading I am sure you'll hear about all that as well LOL its all good though

Lol, so you have some sort of Oedipus complex now too.. on top of just being a rather overweight, bad chain sharpener/hack?? lol.

Oh yes MDS Father Time awaits, and I am very well along my road of Life. I have no regrets. For me it was tree work or Golf, and many my age would have opted for shuffleboard, especially with my motorcycle accident at age 60 that put me in the Trauma Ward for a week.

I took up tree work and found that the thrill of it was very similar to skydiving. I don't even need the money, I just love the challenge. Hey if you decide to come visit you can bring 101 along as your date. I'll give him some of the hugs like his mother never gave him! We can work out all the issues that have been coming between us and have a good 'ole time. Kumbyiya and all that!

the Aerialist

Ya, it's too bad for you that there's not an "elderly tree climbing 101" forum, you could have made mod even!!

Lol, so you have some sort of Oedipus complex now too.. on top of just being a rather overweight, bad chain sharpener/hack?? lol.
nope never really wanted to kill my father and marry mom ....I see that your education has afforded you some good ammo if used properly ... Its all good though ... Its actually impressive to see you speak some truth though shows that you made a choice to educate yourself to a point

Got paid for my vertical mulching job, did a quickie job with a friend that included a brush pile, crabapple prune, and cleaning up a norway and a cherry. Also finished a guying job and got paid. Other than that it was a quiet day.

Flew to the East Coast yesterday and spent the day in Greenville, SC with my Mom. Great to see her!

Also got a bad review on yelp today for job I did not follow up on from 2 months ago. My guys did not clean up well and I wasn't there to make sure the customer was satisfied :( Lesson learned: Always follow up to make sure your customers are happy!

Odd thing is that I distinctly remember my foreman telling me the customers were satisfied and they would give us a good review on yelp. From now on every customer is getting an email or follow up call after every job.

Yelp is a blessing and a curse. I get 90% of my business from it and have a lot of great reviews but it really hurts when I get a bad one. It feels personal. This is my first negative review out of 17 where we actually performed the job and the customer was not satisfied. I left a voice mail apologizing and offered to go back and make everything right. We'll see how it goes.

Make sure you guys call your moms tomorrow and also buy your wife flowers :msp_thumbsup:

Eddie,I am with ya there bro, on my first year with mine, alcohol can do bad things to people, growing up with a drunk for a mom sucks, tried helping her for years, then I determined that I was wasting time that I should be spending with my boys, and your right, some things can never be forgiven. Kinda why I don't drink much, love the taste of beer, but the crack of a can give me chills and instantly remind me of my childhood, which I would like to forget.

On the video thing, wanna post a vid? Put it in the vid forum! See, we already have a special place for them!

I left my GoPro outside last night, filmed my pet ground hog that lives under my garage, and the birds on my bird feeder and a ant battle, it was epic, hundreds of dead locked ants, it was like the movie Troy. I was bored last night............

My wife loves smoked ribs so I started them @ 8 this morning. We are also having homade potato salad and homade sourdough and garlic bread. Should be a good lunch. Awesome day 78 and sunny.

I'm asking for help on this one ...

On the video thing, wanna post a vid? Put it in the vid forum! See, we already have a special place for them!...

Would it be OK to post a video here for the pros to give advice? The home owner calls it a Chinese Maple but it looks like a Locust to me. It represents a strong personal challenge to take this one down safely and with no damage.

Getting my Steiner in means taking out a drainpipe but it's broke anyway. Getting the tree out through there will be a challenge also, it's got it all; covered in Ivy, overhanging a structure and rose beds, super tight DZ and no access!

And serious advice would be greatly appreciated. It's rescheduled to Tuesday due to rain.

[video=youtube;OkI37zo-c80]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkI37zo-c80[/video]

~ the Aerialist ...

Last edited:
Pretty sure that's a chinese elm, we trim one every other year. A chinese maple looks more like a jap bloodgood maple. Looks like you have a good tip and some good rigging options. Watch out the ivy can hide unknown hazards. Take stuff small, shouldn't be too bad

Pretty sure that's a chinese elm, we trim one every other year. A chinese maple looks more like a jap bloodgood maple. Looks like you have a good tip and some good rigging options. Watch out the ivy can hide unknown hazards. Take stuff small, shouldn't be too bad

I've never even heard of a chinese elm? Have only seen regular old american elm (my guess on what that is, but I can't really tell from a vid) and siberian elm around here. At any rate, I'm sure it's gonna be a real dangerous one!! :msp_w00t:

Would it be OK to post a video here for the pros to give advice? The home owner calls it a Chinese Maple but it looks like a Locust to me. It represents a strong personal challenge to take this one down safely and with no damage.

Getting my Steiner in means taking out a drainpipe but it's broke anyway. Getting the tree out through there will be a challenge also, it's got it all; overhanging a structure and rose beds, super tight DZ and no access!

And serious advice would be greatly appreciated. It's rescheduled to Tuesday due to rain.

[video=youtube;OkI37zo-c80]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkI37zo-c80[/video]

~ the Aerialist ...

Be careful of the ivy, I read some where about a climber getting killed doing a tree covered with ivy.

I've never even heard of a chinese elm? Have only seen regular old american elm (my guess on what that is, but I can't really tell from a vid) and siberian elm around here. At any rate, I'm sure it's gonna be a real dangerous one!! :msp_w00t:

Lol.. I never had either untill we started trimming one for a cust about 6 years ago. He told me it was a chinese elm, his favorite tree in his yard. Never heard of it and I questioned his knowledge on what species it actually was, it was definataly an elm but not like any elm I've ever seen before. Looked it up when I got home and sure enough that's what it was.

Sold my bid from yesterday. That is if they can hold on til next Friday. They said to go ahead and schedule them. I'm traveling this week. Wish I could say it was a fun trip but I am just going where I need to go and turning back around to come home. Got to take care of a personal matter.

What? Me Worry?

Thanks for the encouraging words. When I first looked at it it was still bare and I glad to see some foliage sprout on it. the obvious tip is over the garage I'll have to just go up to see what I can use. My biggest fear is what the Ivy hides structurally, but I'll be stripping it away at key junctures on my way up.

@ MDS: And yes, it's dangerous. Anytime both feet are off the ground at the same time there is an element of danger to consider. I'm planning full video coverage so stay tuned ...

~ the Aerialist ...

Last edited:
Chinese elm were introduced to the US because of their resistance to DED.

I also see zelkova of some kind getting planted around here (pretty sure that's what they are). I guess that's technically an elm too (?). Weedy lookin things. There's one down the road that looks like it got DED. I remember hearing something about them being planted because they were supposed to be more resistant to DED.. I could be wrong though.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back