whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Youtube got pretty strict with their music copyright stuff so I'm trying Vimeo. Wasn't too hard to make the vid. Used Windows Live Movie Maker. This was that hacked out oak in front of my place. The crabapple I replaced it with is much better.

https://vimeo.com/42220399

Also, RIP MCA

Looked good! I like the back of your shirt and nice loader. How long did that take?

I am an idiot, but with a very small island of brilliance.

This morning did a little $400 job clobbering two poplars. "just get them on the ground".
So we were all done, an hour and a half later (had to climb & dismantle both; tight backyard). And bucked up the wood, and piled brush neatly.

Lady comes out and tells us that an estimate from another competitor for the same work: His price $1100
Am guessing his Teupen Spiderlift contributes to a lot of overhead. Or he is a crook. Or both.

If you make enough to buy a piece of equipment like a teupen, you wouldn't get out of bed for 400 bucks. Glad you had a good a day but the lowest biders typically have **** equipment. When I hear a customer say I had the lowest bid I feel more like an idiot then brilliant.

Awesome Chris, especially with the tunes! I listened to all
My beasties cd's on the way to Quebec yesterday with the top down on the jeep!

Way to represent deevo, typical jeep drivers pump cher with the top down around here. Do those come stock with rainbow stickers these days?

took out this little silver yesterday

DSCN0378.jpg

kinda nasty little effer, right in the primaries and over a very busy road. had access to both driveways and sidewalk so able to keep everything off the road

DSCN0386.jpg

Youtube got pretty strict with their music copyright stuff so I'm trying Vimeo. Wasn't too hard to make the vid. Used Windows Live Movie Maker. This was that hacked out oak in front of my place. The crabapple I replaced it with is much better.

https://vimeo.com/42220399

Also, RIP MCA

Sweet, I think ya otta paint your rims on your bucket black, will make it look tougher! Love the shirt "Spikes are for Sissies" AWESOME! Do u like those saw pants, my chaps are getting beat up, thought about those.
Going to have to check that site out, have been collecting a bunch of footage with the gopro, waiting to get enough to make a cool vid, lots of extreme, precision, super ninja ****. I will have things on there that no one has seen before, hehehehe :hmm3grin2orange:

That sucks about MCA, That was our theme song for some stuff I wood probably have gone to jail for when I was a kid, haha, good times!

Last edited:
Went out and bid a little maple, I was the last of 3. One guy said the tree was doomed, had to go. Next guy said cable it, was going to put 5 cables in a 40ft maple,,lady was worried about the tree getting destroyed in a tornado, so he said cable it, would prevent it from falling. I told her that the cables are not going to stop a tornado from taking out the tree! It was real thick with brush, near the house,that was the worry. Looked like they had someone work on it and the only did the easy stuff. I told her it needed to be pruned and that was it, no need for cables.
Kills me, the scare tactics.
Then found out that I beat a guy on a bid by 600. 600 more! HO didn't like the other crew, said they looked like a bunch of druggies, so he would rather have someone that didn't flip butts into the landscape or leave their garbage on site. Huh? I asked what he meant, told me he had watched them on a job by his office, said all they did was stand around, smoke and then "hide" their trash under the bushes, lol! WTF, really!! Oh well, works for me!

I always tell my guys, no matter how secure you think you are, you are always being watched......always. He wouldnt tell me the others bids, I will get it out of him, curious of who it was.

Last edited:
Took out a dead oak. Next door had a bunch of kids out. Running out in the road, where ever. Knew it was going to be a problem. Told the lady before we started that she needs to keep an eye on them. She must not have cared wether her kids would get hurt or not. They kpet running into the lz, had to hold and stop a lead after I cut it as here comes a little tyke crew in the way, she is on the phone blabbin about nothing while her kids are running into a LZ. Took everthing I had to hod it in place. I YELLED at them, then she finally comes over , pissed that I yelled. Gets them gives me a dirty look, F it, let it go as soon as they are clear. BOOM, she spins around, looks at what came down, looks at me. I say to her "Next time I wont be able to hold it , keep your kids outa here" She says "THEY ARE JUST CURIOUS!!!" I look at her and sternly say "how did that work out for the cat, keep them out of here or I will shut down and explain to them why I cant work, but I am still going to bill them, they can work that out with you" "No need to be rude she says" "I'm not being rude, I am mad that I have to work next to a lady who doesn't love her kids, she wants them to die" She looks at me with this weird look, grabs the kids and goes in. I finish..yay. I may have been a little harsh, but damn, watch your kids. Next time she will do better, for the kids sake, I hope.

You made the right call. A tree co. out of Crystal Lake IL just killed my grade school substitute teacher last week. A sad story she and her son, who is a year older than me, were walking on a public path that circles Lake Geneva. The Co. apparently yelled out a warning according to the police report but she still got killed. I think they should have had it roped off with people on guard especially over a public path.

Looked good! I like the back of your shirt and nice loader. How long did that take?

The loader belongs to another local tree service. When that butt hit the ground, I looked at my mini skid and said "No way". They took 4-5 of the biggest chunks in exchange for a little crane job I climbed for them last week. From start to finish, maybe 6 hours, not sure.

Scott, I like the idea for the bucket rims. Thanks. The pants are about 10 times more comfy than chaps. Even climbing you barely notice them. Think they were only 80 bucks. Yeah we were doing that tree when my buddy sent me a text about MCA. Sad to hear indeed.

If you make enough to buy a piece of equipment like a teupen, you wouldn't get out of bed for 400 bucks. Glad you had a good a day but the lowest biders typically have **** equipment. When I hear a customer say I had the lowest bid I feel more like an idiot then brilliant.

I dunno about the good day part - the sore foot means no speed records are getting set. Am trying Dr.Naylors Blu Kote veterinary wound dressing on it.
I would hope that owning a Teupen doesn't mean a person has to use it on jobs that a climber can very quickly and easily do, just to promote it, and put on a circus act. (Kinda like the local volunteer FD trotting out their massive platform arial to a bungalow for a smoke investigation call). Perhaps owning a fancy bucket rig, crane, or Spiderlift might let an outfit get away with having mediocre climbers

If my low bid lands me the work, and I make a decent profit, then I don't really care if I could have got away with charging more. My business is not set up to gouge clients or rip off an older single woman who had recently gone through a divorce. I'm more than happy to pursue $400. jobs than can be knocked off in less than 2 hours. Just sayin..

I dunno about the good day part - the sore foot means no speed records are getting set. Am trying Dr.Naylors Blu Kote veterinary wound dressing on it.
I would hope that owning a Teupen doesn't mean a person has to use it on jobs that a climber can very quickly and easily do, just to promote it, and put on a circus act. (Kinda like the local volunteer FD trotting out their massive platform arial to a bungalow for a smoke investigation call). Perhaps owning a fancy bucket rig, crane, or Spiderlift might let an outfit get away with having mediocre climbers

If my low bid lands me the work, and I make a decent profit, then I don't really care if I could have got away with charging more. My business is not set up to gouge clients or rip off an older single woman who had recently gone through a divorce. I'm more than happy to pursue $400. jobs than can be knocked off in less than 2 hours. Just sayin..
I find the guys that complain the most about prices can be some of the cheapest guys out there not saying anyone in particular but I feel some guys do it to throw ya off there scent ... LOL I laugh at half the crap I hear from guys rich guys complain about being poor and so on and so fourth ...

got the big ones on here and the smaller ones on our log truck

DSCN0397-1.jpg

Whats the GVW of your truck i just noticed the tag axle stuck up under the back. That crane is pretty sweet. Once you do tree work with one you won't be able to go back to without. your body is gonna thank you in 20 more years for buying that truck. thats the whole reason i bought my ####. when I'm 50 i don't wanna be riding around in a jazzy scooter from picking rounds up everyday.

even on the biggest of trees putting them on the ground is generally the easy part getting all that stuff in a chipper and on a truck is the PITA.

Whats the GVW of your truck i just noticed the tag axle stuck up under the back. That crane is pretty sweet. Once you do tree work with one you won't be able to go back to without. your body is gonna thank you in 20 more years for buying that truck. thats the whole reason i bought my ####. when I'm 50 i don't wanna be riding around in a jazzy scooter from picking rounds up everyday.

even on the biggest of trees putting them on the ground is generally the easy part getting all that stuff in a chipper and on a truck is the PITA.

Hey matt, I love the K boom ya got, that is a dam sweet truck. Just wondering after using it for a while how it compares with a regular old crane? I really would like to have a crane at some point, though I just started this business 2 years ago and I am probably at least another 2 years away from getting a crane. Just wondering if that K-boom is really worth the bucks. Seems like you can get a 100+ ft 20 ton for 60 grand or so. I was thinking a rear mount crane is the best thing for a tree co, something lightweight too so you don't have any problems putting it on a driveway..... just thinking.... anyways, what's your input? What makes the k-boom that much better?

Latest posts

Back