whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doug, did ya get that ANSI book? Still not making everyone wear the stuff, even you. A bit of advice, you may not care, but you guys look ragtag, if you took some of that money you make and bought some shirts for those guys and made them leave the sleeves on, you guys wouldn't look so hackish. Do you really leave the ladder on the tree while you work it, if so, how many ladders have you gone thru? I asked you to post these in the vid forum. I will leave this for now, so everyone can see it, last time everyone got mad that I deleted it before they could see it. Other things in there that you need to know about, but I know these guys will let you know. After this, post them there.

I don't wear the stuff... even me.:cool2:

Well, I wear some stuff, I don't go getting all dolled up like I am going to parade down the street.

If you look beyond a sleevless shirt and aside from what is "right" and what is "wrong" it seems AA is batting em down.

For many of us this work is personal. AA did what he had to do to do what he wanted to do. Things ain't always pretty... in any tree company. Many autrocities are undergone in each and every one. Look at me. Well I just wanted to climb some trees and look what happened.

Nice video of Matt yanking stumps with his crane. I guess that was him with the bulge of backy juttin out his face kinda making him look like a slack jawed yocal. I never would think you would be able to routinly pull stumps like that but it sounds like you got it covered.

Smith was the first place I started talking to when I decided to get a knuckle. I couldn't do the effer after looking my next choice would have been PM or Palfinger. Effer is a good crane something about it just bugged me.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?gpikea

I was mostly commenting on the capacity of your crane. 10k+ at 110' radius is very impressive. I have no opinion on the different brands of kbooms (I haven't looked at enough yet) just using my conversations with Art as an example.
Excuse my ignorance of k booms (if I am totally off base here) but I thought EFFER claims to have built the largest truck mounted k boom in the world and looking at its charts it wont pick 10,000 lbs + at 110'. I didn't know there were kbooms out there that could pick that much. What's the out rigger spread? Do you have 4 or 6 outriggers?
You were talking about watching the gauges? Doesn't your remote have a digital LMAP built into it? Its hard to imagine running a huge knuckleboom with out some sort of computer.
I am asking all these questions because right now we are planning to buy a 100 ton AT crane. We gave the large kbooms a look but didn't see anything that had the same capacity.
I talk to mike poor about his large kboom (175ton I believe) and although he loves it, it can't pick nearly what a GMK 4100b can far away. So that means your crane is larger then Mike Poor's?
Again I apologize if I am talking out of my ass here, I have no experience with kbooms, I know a hell of a lot more about boom trucks, HTCs ,and ATs.
any info would be helpful, just snap a picture of it parked, it will make it easier to visualize

AA, I like you, you got balls. I appreciate the fact that at your age you decided to get into one of the hardest career paths I can think of and are actually doing it. You are cracking me up though. Loading those tiny rounds out of the backyard with a guy on the back of the steiner as counterweight. You could have easily moved rounds 3 -5 times that size with the log cart.... just sayin.

Also I am hoping you didnt get 2 and a half days rate (4-5 grandish for most companies) for that one day tree.

Last edited:
I was mostly commenting on the capacity of your crane. 10k+ at 110' radius is very impressive. I have no opinion on the different brands of kbooms (I haven't looked at enough yet) just using my conversations with Art as an example.
Excuse my ignorance of k booms (if I am totally off base here) but I thought EFFER claims to have built the largest truck mounted k boom in the world and looking at its charts it wont pick 10,000 lbs + at 110'. I didn't know there were kbooms out there that could pick that much. What's the out rigger spread? Do you have 4 or 6 outriggers?
You were talking about watching the gauges? Doesn't your remote have a digital LMAP built into it? Its hard to imagine running a huge knuckleboom with out some sort of computer.
I am asking all these questions because right now we are planning to buy a 100 ton AT crane. We gave the large kbooms a look but didn't see anything that had the same capacity.
I talk to mike poor about his large kboom (175ton I believe) and although he loves it, it can't pick nearly what a GMK 4100b can far away. So that means your crane is larger then Mike Poor's? Your not buying any K
Again I apologize if I am talking out of my ass here, I have no experience with kbooms, I know a hell of a lot more about boom trucks, HTCs ,and ATs.
any info would be helpful, just snap a picture of it parked, it will make it easier to visualize
your not buying any K booms your on a fishing trip trying to catch a large mouth crappy anyway I doubt even if there was such a machine you couldn't operate it you'd need to hire 3 oilers to watch the gauges so they don't go red , and OD would be having it I mean could you imagine the #### he'd feed that guy he'd quit in an hour LOL

your not buying any K booms your on a fishing trip trying to catch a large mouth crappy anyway I doubt even if there was such a machine you couldn't operate it you'd need to hire 3 oilers to watch the gauges so they don't go red , and OD would be having it I mean could you imagine the #### he'd feed that guy he'd quit in an hour LOL

I never said we are buying one. I do want to try one, I have to get a taste off this knuckle boom cool-aid that's flowing out of TB. Art said he wants to bring one up to me to try out, I think similar to the one urban tc has.
I will agree matts capacity claim does sound a little too good to be true, but then again I have no experience with that type of crane.
I would think with a crane with no counterweight to pick that much that far away it need swing out style outriggers and have at least a 40' wide full span spread

I never said we are buying one. I do want to try one, I have to get a taste off this knuckle boom cool-aid that's flowing out of TB. Art said he wants to bring one up to me to try out, I think similar to the one urban tc has.
I will agree matts capacity claim does sound a little too good to be true, but then again I have no experience with that type of crane.
I would think with a crane with no counterweight to pick that much that far away it need swing out style outriggers and have at least a 40' wide full span spread
I wanna see the thing deflect at that distance I mean mike poors looks like my kids snoopy fishing pole when he hooks a rubber tire LOL and yea the whole outrigger thing I mean you'd need some serious span for that like having an outrigger in another zip code LOL

I wanna see the thing deflect at that distance I mean mike poors looks like my kids snoopy fishing pole when he hooks a rubber tire LOL and yea the whole outrigger thing I mean you'd need some serious span for that like having an outrigger in another zip code LOL

why are you stuttering?

I talk to mike poor about his large kboom (175ton I believe) and although he loves it, it can't pick nearly what a GMK 4100b can far away. So that means your crane is larger then Mike Poor's?

If i remember correctly his is a 1750 and yes it would have a higher capacity cylinder on the bottom boom. not longer tho. effer has built the largest. 165 foot. with all the extra stick it cant do 10k. thiers alot of extra weight thier. im only at 120-125.

for every 6.5 feet you add to a kboom you add like 500 pounds of steel. hydralic cylinder all the hoses and the boom. for 30 foot of boom you looking at 2500-3000 pounds of steel. so that 165 foot model effer has if you shaved it down to 100 it should do it. since you would be loosing 6k of the boom weight. i priced that truck i think it was going for 1.2. to do a similar build

you gotta talk to the engineers at like effer if you decide to go with them. and tell them what you want it to do. then they can tell you if its possible or not. the models they have on their site are not all that your limited to. they can make variations.

when i was in the building process we worked with copma directly to make sure it was possible. the builder would propose the idea to them and they would say if it can be done or will handle that kind of load. they did something extra so that i could use a grapple on mine. they added a sensor that shuts the crane off from applying to much down pressure not just during lifting. so that someone cant bend the boom prying it against the ground.

if you wanted to only lift 200 pounds but needed it done at 200 foot and had the $$ they could get it out that far.

Just to make sure where on the same page im not talking about 10k at 100 feet off the ground. if thats what your thinking i appologize. because no it wont do that. im talking pretty close in. when you buy one thier really is no exact load chart because of how many variations the boom can be in. stick crane is just like a protactor used to draw circles kboom is like butting two or three protractors together. thiers alot more thinking involved in how much it can lift where your at. flyjibs have a max compacity usually no matter where your at. mike poors fly jib can handle around 20k from looking at effers website. not sure a what angle or height.

i dont pay to much attention on here and usually only read for about 5 minutes. if you want call 412-720-1434 they can patch you through 24/7 i usually answer it untill around 8 eastern. if they say im busy just tell them i told you to call.

Had a good job today. I need to get better at bidding, I wayy underbid this one. The 31"er had to be plunge-cut. It was my first time falling that way. It had a good 5-degree lean in the way I wanted it to fall, so I just notched, plunged, wedged, and clipped the tensile fibers.

I'll definitely fall trees with plunge cuts from now on, I like the amount of control you have over exactly when you let it go down.

d089351e.jpg

b81d923c.jpg

eea2d199.jpg

5edc3271.jpg

873a488c.jpg

kbooms

Just to make sure where on the same page im not talking about 10k at 100 feet off the ground. if thats what your thinking i appologize. because no it wont do that. im talking pretty close in. when you buy one thier really is no exact load chart because of how many variations the boom can be in. stick crane is just like a protactor used to draw circles kboom is like butting two or three protractors together. thiers alot more thinking involved in how much it can lift where your at. flyjibs have a max compacity usually no matter where your at. mike poors fly jib can handle around 20k from looking at effers website. not sure a what angle or height.

i dont pay to much attention on here and usually only read for about 5 minutes. if you want call 412-720-1434 they can patch you through 24/7 i usually answer it untill around 8 eastern. if they say im busy just tell them i told you to call.[/QUOTE

i would love to see a load chart for any kboom brand that can handle 20k on the fly jib. please give this info up, we need to be educated.

i dont pay to much attention on here and usually only read for about 5 minutes. if you want call 412-720-1434 they can patch you through 24/7 i usually answer it untill around 8 eastern. if they say im busy just tell them i told you to call.[/QUOTE

i would love to see a load chart for any kboom brand that can handle 20k on the fly jib. please give this info up, we need to be educated.

Effer 1750 look on their website read a little you'll learn something. not interested in debating what one can or can't do just look for yourself 20k is an understatement. on a 1750.

At 14 feet you look at a capacity of 63k

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?44jzwx

Last edited:

since your in need of education if google is to much for you North American Lifting Equipment | EfferUSA: Exclusive Distributor of Effer Cranes in the US its actually more like 24k check the load chart our for yourself. look at the 6+S heavy duty.

AND that isn't even the biggest :dizzy:

Last edited:

I think i can get a load chart for you from copma. i need a fax number or something to send it to. i could probably scan it but my fax machine is always warmed up. its a model with a longer boom on it. at 100 close in its picking right under 8k. at 60 close in its right under 14k with the fly jib on. if you take that thing off its like taking a massive dump and capacity sky rockets. at about a 50 degree from what it looks like to me its at 7430 at right under 60 feet.

60 up and 25 over is at 3000

all the way maxed out at 36 meters horizontal. its at 2335

this info is for a 500

Last edited:
I think i can get a load chart for you from copma. i need a fax number or something to send it to. i could probably scan it but my fax machine is always warmed up. its a model with a longer boom on it. at 100 close in its picking right under 8k. at 60 close in its right under 14k with the fly jib on. if you take that thing off its like taking a massive dump and capacity sky rockets. at about a 50 degree from what it looks like to me its at 7430 at right under 60 feet.

60 up and 25 over is at 3000

all the way maxed out at 36 meters horizontal. its at 2335

this info is for a 500

Thanks for the info, that makes a lot more sense. Typically in the crane world if you talk about a distance and capacity it is load radius. Well maybe just in my world, could be diffrent elsewhere. I can wrap my head around the capacities you just talked about. Still would like to see some pictures, theses cranes are wild looking.

Thanks for the info, that makes a lot more sense. Typically in the crane world if you talk about a distance and capacity it is load radius. Well maybe just in my world, could be diffrent elsewhere. I can wrap my head around the capacities you just talked about. Still would like to see some pictures, theses cranes are wild looking.

Ya i don't think its gonna do what a 60-100 ton grove is. But for what it is its extremely powerful.

Some updates on bandit the raccoon. After feeding him like a cow for a few days he is super strong and pretty much just follows me around now. I really like the little guy and have been letting him live in a huge box trap in my basement. i gotta get a dog cage for him sooner or later. But i bought a heating pad that stays in their with him to keep him warm. Thing is pretty smart it picked up bottle feeding in one day on synthetic cats milk. Hope fully ill score a few good karma points for saving this little guy from a coyote or fox.

Imagine if i can train him to set my top rope!! i gotta cut his fudging toe nails tho my arms look like i been walking through jagger bushes for weeks.

IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_2651.jpg

IMG_8546.jpg

IMG_8546-1.jpg

IMG_9331.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back