whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some updates on bandit the raccoon. After feeding him like a cow for a few days he is super strong and pretty much just follows me around now. I really like the little guy and have been letting him live in a huge box trap in my basement. i gotta get a dog cage for him sooner or later. But i bought a heating pad that stays in their with him to keep him warm. Thing is pretty smart it picked up bottle feeding in one day on synthetic cats milk. Hope fully ill score a few good karma points for saving this little guy from a coyote or fox.

Imagine if i can train him to set my top rope!! i gotta cut his fudging toe nails tho my arms look like i been walking through jagger bushes for weeks.

IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_2651.jpg

IMG_8546.jpg

IMG_8546-1.jpg

IMG_9331.jpg

Baby raccoons are pretty cool. I had a few over the years when I was a teenager. You prolly already know this but they get mean as hell come fall time. Although I heard its possible to tame one down enough to keep indefinitely. It requires ALOT of handling between now and fall. I always let mine go by leaving the cage door open. They would hang around for about a week , just show up to eat at night and then they would stop coming at all. I lived out in the country though. That scenario may not be a good idea at all in town.

On another big clearing deal, that grapple made its money this week, saved us SO MUCH TIME. Its nice when you get to tear the crap out of the yard with no remorse! This guy bought a forclosure, the old HO was PO'ed at the mortgage co, so he bailed in the middle of winter, turned off the heat, plugged all the tub's, cranked the water and bailed. Quick way to turn 600 thou to 200 thou. New HO, property investor (owns all the HY-Vee buildings, if ya know what that is) is gutting the place, even the yard, everything goes but 5 smaller trees, 3 ash,2 maples. Broke my 200 again, the damn rubber bushing under the top handle broke on me, and when it did, it came up /away from the saw, it ripped the wires loose :blob2::angry2::cry::mad::msp_ohmy::msp_confused::mad2::msp_thumbdn:

kboom charts

since your in need of education if google is to much for you North American Lifting Equipment | EfferUSA: Exclusive Distributor of Effer Cranes in the US its actually more like 24k check the load chart our for yourself. look at the 6+S heavy duty.

AND that isn't even the biggest :dizzy:

thanks for the info link on effer. in reviewing the load chart for the effer 1750, you are correct fly jib capacity is 24,800 @29' radius and 7075@ 79' radius with approx 25' hook height. outrigger spread is approx 34', so you would be 17' away from item you are lifting. impressive specs non the less. all cranes, stick-boom and kboom are rated by weight x distance from center of rotation. kbooms are rated in ton/meters or ft/lbs. enginneering takes into account boom configurations and the chart handles the appropriate deducts. all machines are rated @ a combination of hydraulic capacity,tipping moment,and strength of materials (whichever is lower). and in tree work there are approx 20% deducts for dynamic loading.

as an appropriate comparison, here are some similar capacities for other cranes, using comparitive parameters of the effer 1750-all at 80' radius (the 1750's max listed)-note this is not a competition just a comparison.

effer-model 1750-7075# at 80' radius

national- 45t boom truck- 142' boom, 80'radius, 3850#

grove- 3055- 60t all terrain-141' main boom,80' radius, 6800#

grove- 50t hydraulic truck crane- 110' main boom, 80' radius, 6600#

note- in trying to keep comparison relative, only full-power boom capacities are listed for both straight and kboom.
when comparing capacity, brand or design is not an issue, only weight and distance from c/l of rotation.
usable tip height at radius has not entered into this comparison, as the straight boom has the advantage, whereas the kboom
has the versatility of close-in articulation.

again matt, thanks for the info link, we all need education every day.

Did my tree hugger talk to about 70 cub scout and parents. Its a old chat i give often but tis always fun as I pop quizz them on the Worlds and Australia's biggest oldest tallest trees etc . A fun pieces is when I get one to jump from the top of a tree and 4.85 seconds later he goes splat... From this with an equation we can deduce that the tree was Hyperion the worlds tallest at 115 m high .

Gravity Calculations - Falling Body Equations at gravitycalc.com

On a job yesterday and the custy asks if I know anyone who wants a rock from his front bed. I look and its a huge beautifull granite boulder, about a 4 footer. Saise his landscaper can't move it and it adds nothing to his yard. Um.. sure, I'll take it :msp_smile: Just happened to have the crane with me too and plan on doing a new landscape in my front yard in the next couple weeks.

Instant Checkmate - The internet's #1 source for Background Checks

They charge like 60 for 6 months, they will auto renew, sumtin to think about. I had to cancel to get them to stop charging me. It works tho, told me all I needed to know about the peeps I was shekin.

Thats how I found out a guy who was trying to come around was a convicted BANK ROBBER! Then I ran all the others, holychit. There is some bad people in this business.

Thanks! Good info, man, hard to determine if you have a real match when it comes to latinos:msp_confused: Also reminds me I need to get a record of my own expunged......

thanks for the info link on effer. in reviewing the load chart for the effer 1750, you are correct fly jib capacity is 24,800 @29' radius and 7075@ 79' radius with approx 25' hook height. outrigger spread is approx 34', so you would be 17' away from item you are lifting. impressive specs non the less. all cranes, stick-boom and kboom are rated by weight x distance from center of rotation. kbooms are rated in ton/meters or ft/lbs. enginneering takes into account boom configurations and the chart handles the appropriate deducts. all machines are rated @ a combination of hydraulic capacity,tipping moment,and strength of materials (whichever is lower). and in tree work there are approx 20% deducts for dynamic loading.

as an appropriate comparison, here are some similar capacities for other cranes, using comparitive parameters of the effer 1750-all at 80' radius (the 1750's max listed)-note this is not a competition just a comparison.

note- in trying to keep comparison relative, only full-power boom capacities are listed for both straight and kboom.
when comparing capacity, brand or design is not an issue, only weight and distance from c/l of rotation.
usable tip height at radius has not entered into this comparison, as the straight boom has the advantage, whereas the kboom

Ya sorry for sounding like a ####. Everywhere i go someones calling me out on compacity tho. I get alot of its not possible. They built 2 kbooms not to long ago for lifting rail cars. i have no idea of the compacity but its over 150k at like 20 feet. they dont even show the models because those where the two and only two built for conrail i do believe.

Ya and im not a crane wizz. Only at tree work where i dont normally get to 60-70% of my compacity. the largest pick ive ever taken with a kboom to date was a little under 8k at like 30-40 feet off the ground. the largest lift ive done was 12-14k with a kboom but that was the last trunk section and i was cutting on the ground. i usually dont get to crazy 4-5 thousand pounds is usually in my comfort zone when im up 60-70-80 feet. i usually shoot for half. 10k compacity i go for 6k and leave myself a #### load of leeway.

I pick some hairy trees tho to where the extra leway is needed. the one we did on wensday was so dead the limbs where breaking on just pretensioning. ive had two staps on a 30 foot limb and it ended up breaking right in the middle giving it a little shock load. wich probably spiked the lets call it 3k piece up to 4 and 5 k.

Last edited:
Work backing up so I was glad to get out and get a good day in today. Bomber and I took down one white oak and a few storm damage limbs in a couple other oaks. Still have a few limbs in one other tree to knock out and drop another smaller oak, but all in all a good day. Though I do have to admit first day of the year working in temps over 80º kind of slowed the pace down today... at least for my old fat ass.

only shots a quick one of getting stuff set up... and yes that is a kitty litter bucket, makes a great FREE rope bag.
dsc05507g.jpg

Bomber going up for one of the limbs big bastard wedged between two trees (and yes I am referring to the limb not Bomber)
dsc05512l.jpg

and the remaining two trees for Mon or Tues most likely

dsc05509m.jpg

On another big clearing deal, that grapple made its money this week, saved us SO MUCH TIME. Its nice when you get to tear the crap out of the yard with no remorse! This guy bought a forclosure, the old HO was PO'ed at the mortgage co, so he bailed in the middle of winter, turned off the heat, plugged all the tub's, cranked the water and bailed. Quick way to turn 600 thou to 200 thou. New HO, property investor (owns all the HY-Vee buildings, if ya know what that is) is gutting the place, even the yard, everything goes but 5 smaller trees, 3 ash,2 maples. Broke my 200 again, the damn rubber bushing under the top handle broke on me, and when it did, it came up /away from the saw, it ripped the wires loose :blob2::angry2::cry::mad::msp_ohmy::msp_confused::mad2::msp_thumbdn:

where thers a helpfull smile in every isle

Finally done with my small clearing job i started last fall. Spread 5 triaxle loads of top soil, seed and 18 bales of straw. I am so glad to be done. I will post a pic later. Customer was doing all the cleanup, so it took a while between each time i went back to make a new mess.

Finally done with my small clearing job i started last fall. Spread 5 triaxle loads of top soil, seed and 18 bales of straw. I am so glad to be done. I will post a pic later. Customer was doing all the cleanup, so it took a while between each time i went back to make a new mess.

Some Reps for job complete.:)

yesterday was a hardcore day chipped a badass brush pile maybe 2 yards of chips :msp_ohmy: then to make the day even better I sold a removal of a 6' cotton wood pretty easy job can bomb half of the tree and even better all wood over 3-4" stays and the dude only has a 16" saw hope he has fun cleaning that thing up. he started cutting at the tree but he ran out of ladder(32') after the first two branches and realized it was "out of his league" I love the ambitious HO's. now I just need to wait for the big O to come clear a branch out of the lines looks like then been slaking around town looks like that thing should been trimmed back 10 years ago

My truck needs to retire. Hey Slayer, my Cadillac with a bow tie need a new tranny. I got 252,000 miles on a 2005, 3/4 ton Silverado 4X4, so I guess I am getting a new truck. The owner (great guy!) is gonna sell as is. BTW, very nice truck!
Jeff

Ya sorry for sounding like a ####. Everywhere i go someones calling me out on compacity tho. I get alot of its not possible. They built 2 kbooms not to long ago for lifting rail cars. i have no idea of the compacity but its over 150k at like 20 feet. they dont even show the models because those where the two and only two built for conrail i do believe.

I BRAG ABOUT THIS GUY BUT NOW I CAN'T FIND HIM.....

5-6 YEARS AGO WHILE SURFING THE WEB I STUMBLED ACROSS A GUY UP IN SEATTLE, I THINK SEATTLE. ANYWAY HE HAD TAKEN A RAILROAD CRANE AND PUT IT ON HIS BIG RIG. THAT SUM *ITCH WOULD REACH OVER A HOUSE, PICK A 60' TREE, AND SET IT ON A FLATBED. AND OFF TO THE NEXT ONE......HAS ANY ONE SEEN THIS FELLA.......I AM A BIG DREAMER MAYBE IT WAS ALL IN MY HEAD?????:hmm3grin2orange:

My truck needs to retire. Hey Slayer, my Cadillac with a bow tie need a new tranny. I got 252,000 miles on a 2005, 3/4 ton Silverado 4X4, so I guess I am getting a new truck. The owner (great guy!) is gonna sell as is. BTW, very nice truck!
Jeff

I have a 2004 chevy 6.0 4x4 ext cab long box with 258,000. I had to get the tranny rebuilt last summer. The motor is still strong and hoping to get a couple more years out of her.

Back