whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been storming here for a few hours now. Nothing but a massive green blob on the radar. Gonna hang out and do some office stuff and brew some beer later.

Yeah, they mentioned your town was getting hammered at 6:00 on my local news.

Got everybody in and to the job just in time for the heaviest of the downpours. Sent everybody home, now it clears up. Doesn't look like a lawn friendly kind of day anyway. Grr..

Supposed to have severe storms later, maybe even a tornado. I might be rutting up that lawn six wheeling the bucket out tomorrow anyway. Lol.. fingers crossed!!

We haven't had 1/4" of rain in the last 7 weeks here. Wore out, beat down, overheated, and PRAYING for rain. Ya'all can send it this way all you want. I'd love to have a three day rain here. I'd probably just sleep the first day listening to it.

Bent my first weatherhead ever today. Last hour of the day, impatient, less than good judgement, and HOT.

Kona Coast

VACATION :msp_biggrin: Kona,Hawaii for the next 2 weeks, they made me take it, to much time off owed,take it or lose it, so I'm outa here.

BTW, The ol mercury temp gauge hit 112 yesterday, straight temp. Watered the crap outa the garden in the AM, still wilted a bit. Now its 73, hell of a drop!

Been like that all month here, not as hot, but hot enough. I would water 3 times a day, and would still wilt and scorch. Twice i fell asleep with soaker hoses running and over watered my squash :rolleyes: ended up with stem rot and small plants this year.

Getting my first tow-maters ripening this week, my 4th o July are about three weeks behind due to the warm spring toasting them when I set them out to harden...

We pull up to a job today and the whole yard is full of cicada killers flying around. It was neat to see them stinging the crap out of the cicadas and taking them down their holes. I am glad I had other things to do so I told the guys see ya later. sacata killers - Bing Images

for some reason they are attracted to a lot of the dead elms (DED) we do, must be sap coming out of the bark or something cause they find a nice little crevice and start digging in after it. and its not like its a few there are a hundred or more of them.

we have never had an issue with one stinging anybody and as the top of the tree disappears they start becoming more concentrated until your down to a few trunk logs left and there all right in your face for the flush cut. saws don't seem to bother them I just don't lean into the saw for them trees!

For all the hoop la about the heat today it was nice here til 11am I mean a nice breeze and not that sunny or humid , GOT real hot around 2pm but there has been a steady breeze all day , I can deal with it for a bit longer , and I am anticipating a few good thunder boomers in a few hours , with that being said we loaded out the 3 pine sticks we cut after lunch yesterday , hit 7 stumps , trimmed out the flood lights at a Budget INN and finished out the day trimming out a new pool construction for the pool company . I love it when I don't even have to go look at it they call and say they need us for an hour or so and we go , do it , bill it ...EAZY PEAZY

Last edited:
Well, it pretty much poured rain all day today, what a relief it was to work in! We all got major soakers but who cares! All but one of 1 of jobs today were all notch and drops, 10' from the chipper. 5 stumps, and one was a climber at the end of the day to dead wood a tip of a 60' maple. Took more time to set a line then make the cut, but we rocked it out! All 4 jobs were 5 minutes apart. After dinner went and looked at a job, 14 sugar maples, all dead or dying. Got a signed contract by the time I left!:msp_thumbup: August is looking good!

Looked at a big lombardy removal this evening....the photo shows it at the base but what you cant see is another huge part to it just behind me on the left. Terrible spot at the back/borderline of two properties. Whopping big top, multi-stemmed thing about 110-20ft, will all have to be rigged which is quite the task....but the real hard work is in that lower portion which will have to be blocked and ripped into 4 perhaps and then pushed off, such is the tight drop zone.

Not sure if it'll come off just yet as the city want it retained....meanwhile the residents are pretty much terrified of it. We bid it (both parts) for 6 days for 4 workers.

Looked at a big lombardy removal this evening....the photo shows it at the base but what you cant see is another huge part to it just behind me on the left. Terrible spot at the back/borderline of two properties. Whopping big top, multi-stemmed thing about 110-20ft, will all have to be rigged which is quite the task....but the real hard work is in that lower portion which will have to be blocked and ripped into 4 perhaps and then pushed off, such is the tight drop zone.

Not sure if it'll come off just yet as the city want it retained....meanwhile the residents are pretty much terrified of it. We bid it (both parts) for 6 days for 4 workers.
I would love to see some more photos of that tree.

246355d1343355882-s1050011-jpg

:jawdrop:...

Reg, please tell me you will shoot some vid if you get to do it.

HA HAA, finally got my camera deal fixed. Here are a few shots of the shed that got nailed. 1 real old antique tractor inside, plus his new version with a bunch of attachments. We cut all the brush away and cleaned out all the tools we could. Today, I have to use my machine to lift up a area that we can get the tractors out, brace the door up and hope fully drive them out. Then its smashing time, going to cut it loose and let it smash the thing the rest of the way.

HA HAA, finally got my camera deal fixed. Here are a few shots of the shed that got nailed. 1 real old antique tractor inside, plus his new version with a bunch of attachments. We cut all the brush away and cleaned out all the tools we could. Today, I have to use my machine to lift up a area that we can get the tractors out, brace the door up and hope fully drive them out. Then its smashing time, going to cut it loose and let it smash the thing the rest of the way.

looks like fun beans... good to see the saws coming off that truck are the right colors too.:msp_biggrin::rock::chainsaw:

DAMN IT!! Forgot to hit record on the smash!!! THAT SUCKS! Oh well, it was cool, used the bucket truck to put a few snap cuts right at the main crotch on the roof, then grab the machine and lifted one side. That popped, allowing the other to roll and pop as well, all came down evenly and FLATTENED THAT SOMEBEYATCH! Now we gotz ta cut er up, big, and load it. All done, hope fully by 3. Eatin chow at the pad. Got some cool vids and pics out of the deal, just parses me off, that would have been cool to have on tape.

DBH? I'll throw a tape on it when we get back, guessin' 5ft, no biggie.

Oh yes, gotta have the right colored saw. Do have a couple Echo's tho, good for the FIL and the boys, fur training and such, don't want them learning on the good ones. But they do run pretty damn good, surprised.

Last edited:
Took 14 ft. off a 100+ year old chimney for the local VFW. One brick at a time. Mortar was almost all gone so it was more like a stack of bricks 50 ft. high. Good bunch of guys who have served their country and I was glad to make things a little safer.
Phil

I would love to see some more photos of that tree.

Yeah I didn't really think to stand back and get a shot of the whole tree, but if we get it I'll get some pics and video etc....I think we'll get the job so long as the city allows it.

We did a similar sized one in the winter but that was with a crane and plenty of air space.....I think the one we just bid has a much bigger also, thats never been touched in the past.

I can totally see this pic being a CREME album cover back in the late 60's http://www.arboristsite.com/attachments/commercial-tree-care-climbing/246355d1343355882-s1050011-jpg

Latest posts

Back