whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took a dead red pine down today for a fellow at his cottage
Asked him what line of work he was in: "I race cars"
Ron Fellows (Nascar, Mosport, etc). Good time - really down to earth guy.

Afterwards, went extreme 4-wheeling (at 1 to 2 mph, lol) up a snowmobile trail / 500,000 Volt Hydro right-of-way to get to a guy's cottage to pull over a large red oak. Owner transported us & rigging in his Jeep Liberty, and it impressed the heck out of me. Drove it like a tortoise, but the terrain was absolutely brutal. No camera, sigh.

Cool little meter, I didn't know works connection had that with the tach. Still can't figure out why they're so expensive, I think one company makes all of them and has the price fixed.

I have them on four different saws now why I don't know :jester:

I have one more meter so I'll have to get another saw :tongue2:

Dropped by Mike's (MC Tree) place on my way up north the other day and he was having his firewood split. Nice processor.
View attachment 249647

Took the tops off of two massive white pines so the customer's newly installed $100,000 solar panel could get 100% sunlight in the afternoon. Told him the trees would most likely die, but he said we'd do the rest then. This way they may have a slim chance.

Next job, get two of the three trees down and while climbing the third (dead maple) I get attacked by bees exiting a hollow crotch about 30' up. I bailed fast. Only had my flip line on. Looked like one of those lumber jacks in those competitions. Close, but luckily didn't get stung.

Tree will have to wait until the winter
Nice machine Mike has, with all those trees from Beaverton he took away he should keep that machine busy til October!

Well, I went for a little ride today and should of known better. I had a stump to clean out on the parking on a steep hill. The truck was pointed down hill with the tires choked. I pull the ramps out and start backing my mini up the ramps while one of my guys is blowing the sidewalk off. I get half way up the ramps and truck starts taking off! I just drive the mini down the ramps and hope the truck stops, it slides forward about 6' and stops. My guy said my eye balls looked like they were going to pop out. What ever you do dont load equipment on a hill! LOL

Must of found only hill in Iowa lol :hmm3grin2orange: I deal with straight up or straight down here all the time if my pickups had air brakes like bucket no big deal. but they don't :cry:

Must of found only hill in Iowa lol :hmm3grin2orange: I deal with straight up or straight down here all the time if my pickups had air brakes like bucket no big deal. but they don't :cry:

Opps I forgot about council bluffs lol but it seemed so flat and corn fieldish out there in my memories!

Lol we need hydraulic poker like that storm chaser vehicle just deploy it into the ground drive way or ? :)

Last edited:
I was asked to chime on on the PPE thing and the vids, if you want to post a vid, make sure that you have your PPE on, posting it on here with out it is only asking for backlash and rightfully so. If we don't keep each other in check, we will have a horror story to talk about, and we don't need that. We are only looking out for you, even AA. Attacking those who call you out is not right, check your vids and pics before you post, simple as that. Because someone who calls another out, does not climb anymore, or don't post vids, does not take away their right to call someone out for a obvious safety violation. I know Jeff personally and know his rep for when he climbed in and around the San Diego area. He did not get the position that he is in by being a faker, that is fore sure. Bashing a guy for working his way to the top, well you all know, its just dumb. Posting vids of mediocre work, if ya do,don't get upset when other's are not impressed. What you might think is a epic level job, is just Tuesday to most of the rest, remember that.

Bean out (back to my much needed R&R with the fam)

One more thing, making a vid or taking pics should not be the only reason you wear PPE, it should be worn at all times, not just when others can see it.

I was asked to chime on on the PPE thing and the vids, if you want to post a vid, make sure that you have your PPE on, posting it on here with out it is only asking for backlash and rightfully so. If we don't keep each other in check, we will have a horror story to talk about, and we don't need that. We are only looking out for you, even AA. Attacking those who call you out is not right, check your vids and pics before you post, simple as that. Because someone who calls another out, does not climb anymore, or don't post vids, does not take away their right to call someone out for a obvious safety violation. I know Jeff personally and know his rep for when he climbed in and around the San Diego area. He did not get the position that he is in by being a faker, that is fore sure. Bashing a guy for working his way to the top, well you all know, its just dumb. Posting vids of mediocre work, if ya do,don't get upset when other's are not impressed. What you might think is a epic level job, is just Tuesday to most of the rest, remember that.

Bean out (back to my much needed R&R with the fam)
Well said Beans, we are all supposed to be professional and have a professional image, safety above anything is key. We all want to go home after every job, big or small to our families. Watching out for one another and many have helped me along the way here is very important. I have worked with many arborists from this site, and some young guys from here help me when now and again, and I stress safety first! Ask Youngbuck20! Even though his helmet went missing for a brief time on one job a few weeks ago! Trying to help others out to do a job safer and more efficiently is what we should be all doing. Unless its your direct competition! We are all doing the same job as each other, so what if we don't do monster removals each and every day. Work is work.....as long as the $ keeps rolling in and we are working safe, stay healthy, and work efficiently is what matters.

Last edited:
One more thing, making a vid or taking pics should not be the only reason you wear PPE, it should be worn at all times, not just when others can see it.

If you are referring to me, I do wear safety apparel everyday and so do my guys. It is just DUMB to try and I do stress TRY to tell what to do on one picture. Thats you I am calling out you want to talk the talk then walk the walk. Don't talk then walk... away.. Let's see some of these big drops... on video. Like the ones where you flop the tree across the road and Take out the hydro across the street. not showed in the picture.. Ya that one.

If you are referring to me, I do wear safety apparel everyday and so do my guys. It is just DUMB to try and I do stress TRY to tell what to do on one picture. Thats you I am calling out you want to talk the talk then walk the walk. Don't talk then walk... away.. Let's see some of these big drops... on video. Like the ones where you flop the tree across the road and Take out the hydro across the street. not showed in the picture.. Ya that one.

What are u talking about, tree across road, hydro? You have me mixed up with someone else. I was referring to you and anybody else who pics up a saw.

Did 3 small tree jobs today. Ended up with a full truck of chips. Nothing to fun, but pretty good money. Second job had to trim a branch off of a walnut. Everytime i would drop a limb, it hit the ground, and all the walnuts would break off and roll down the road 40'- 50'. It was funny watching.

Well I only did one removal today its down got half loaded by that time it was 95 and i said f it I'll finish tomorrow. It went great except my blind butt missed a phone wire sneaking in between branches and I bombed a good limb that direction and yes , had to call the repairman. Why they had power and cable going to one side of house and tv the other is beyond me, I seen the power never danced them oh well!

Just got done editing some new video of the grinders. Bandit was there so we could put them through there paces, we got some footage of the 2450 climbing a 45 degree slope and it did it well once youtube quotes taking forever ill have it up. The 2900 with 90hp kabota is like a magic trick now you see it now you don't.

Back