whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up a snowdogg v plow late last winter-got tired of dumping money into a pos fisher for the last decade, especially since my plows do more traveling than actual working-i just do a couple driveways and like to have it on the job to bust down drifts or do some creative snow moving to get equipment placed. I drive right by a distributor daily so stopped in. The price tag is why i went with it. Quite a bit cheaper, and since it doesn't get worked hard, saw no reason to spend more. Have loved it so far, not a single problem.

Best headlights i've ever seen on a plow.

I picked up a 83' F-350 dump with a 8.5 Western Pro/bat wings this summer for real cheap. The Dump has single action drop sides with the scissor lift. Diesel with a 4 speed. All fur 2500! Had to put new Injectors and glow plugs, run like a champ. Add paint and some cab corners and Ill have a sweet little truck! Putting a 10fter on my F-700 too. That wont be fun, have to fab up a custom mount.
Dint have time to put one on my F-250 or sell any accounts, next year I will go big, this year, my driveway will be clean!
I dont know about these wings tho, never had them before.

Last edited:
TV i gthink i make more money raking roofs then i do plowing and shoveling combined, i can get 35-40 bucks a roof and i usual rake my plowing customers roofs we average about 16 plowable storms a year and i rake just about every one, there is so little expense (good roof rake is 200 bucks) that it is hard not to make money you just have to convince people that they need it done! in our neck of the woods everyone knows its important but inother parts of the country it might be harder to educate people on the issues surrounding ice jams

Just got off ma new Honda brush cutter 4 stroker shes a beaut, why I suffered ma old stihl for so long I'll never know.
but ma shoulder was sore across the collar bone hmm why? then remembered I was shootin 308w 300 meter lyin prone at the range yesterday.

Dern plowing must be lucrative in ya'll neck of the hoods lol:cheers:

Personally I wouldn't touch it.. but some do.

Long hours, weird hours.. insurance around here is steep as *&^$.. I know several guys who find it hard to get insurance because they are plowing.

Too many claims because of people falling on ice.. now some are questionable at best.. one person in city has fallen 6 times in past 2 years (and had made a claim on each of them.. and been paid). Trouble is insurance companies are too willing to pay out if claim is under $15K.. and not fight it. But then they take it out on person plowing by raising their rates.

I use my Bobcat to plow our yard, and drive at my house.. and that is it .. nuf for me :)

TV i gthink i make more money raking roofs then i do plowing and shoveling combined, i can get 35-40 bucks a roof and i usual rake my plowing customers roofs we average about 16 plowable storms a year and i rake just about every one, there is so little expense (good roof rake is 200 bucks) that it is hard not to make money you just have to convince people that they need it done! in our neck of the woods everyone knows its important but inother parts of the country it might be harder to educate people on the issues surrounding ice jams

I do a bunch of roof raking/ shoveling myself. Its a tough business to get insurance on if you have employees but as a sole prop. its hasn't been difficult. I have a friend who has 30+ employees and gets tons of commercial properties for roof shoveling but always struggles with insurance.

I feel off my own dam roof 2 years ago and put myself out of commission for the winter with broken elbow and fractured femur. I finished shovelling it at 11pm and slipped on the ladder getting off.

I was blowing a roof off last week and the shaded side had what I would consider "black ice". Stayed away from there. I have had 2 near death experiences with IMO...God saving me from a fatal fall off roofs.

Question....was thinking of putting my salt spreader on my Toyota 4x4 and spreading after my new Silverado plows so I don't get salt all over it.

Any flaws in this plan?

I would put the sander in the silvarado and hook up a hot water wash down hose at your shop/ house and just wash your truck when your done sanding/salting, thats how we do it, better to have the weight in the truc your plowing with, its much much easier on the truck because you wont need to carry as much speed

I was blowing a roof off last week and the shaded side had what I would consider "black ice". Stayed away from there. I have had 2 near death experiences with IMO...God saving me from a fatal fall off roofs.

Question....was thinking of putting my salt spreader on my Toyota 4x4 and spreading after my new Silverado plows so I don't get salt all over it.

Any flaws in this plan?

Cover the truck where the salt is gonna be hitting in diesel fuel , either through a garden sprayer or a rag ..that will buy you some time before it eats the paint or undercoating , we drench the hoppers of the spreaders with diesel as well ...You need to be quick with the cleanup the salt works fast .....We have a year round struggle here with the salt air and the salty winter roads ..

I had a one tonner that was a twp. salt spreader with plow. the whole frame was like swiss cheese and salt stuck in crevices you couldn't get it out ever.

greedy wasn't all he called you :poke:

this comin from a guy that has had his busines for ONE year :laugh:

I never called him greedy, TV. Learn to read and if you got something to say to me, say it, no need to stir up yesterday's news. (607) 652-3625.

Finished putting the trans in my 4runner today. Runs like a top now. Sold two jobs totaling just under 3K and earned my first consultation fee of $100 which will most likely turn into a 2K job. Did a break test on Eric's first splicing attempt with 16 strand. Pretty fun stretching out that rope with the 1 ton in 4 low with all tires spinning. Had to get a running start in order to snap the line. The splice held. He'll be adding one to my line next. Got a call from the old man at 5pm. Had a eight point 2 miles out a logging road with no vehicle access. Eric and I went down and drug it out for him. Poor guy'd been dragging that buck since two this afternoon. Good day.

I never called him greedy, TV. Learn to read and if you got something to say to me, say it, no need to stir up yesterday's news. (607) 652-3625.

He said you called him greedy, I said you called him a beaner hack.

That was today I think....not yesterday.

How old are you?... You got a chipper truck and a chipper and that's it? You and your partner share all that stuff?

Finished putting the trans in my 4runner today. Runs like a top now. Sold two jobs totaling just under 3K and earned my first consultation fee of $100 which will most likely turn into a 2K job. Did a break test on Eric's first splicing attempt with 16 strand. Pretty fun stretching out that rope with the 1 ton in 4 low with all tires spinning. Had to get a running start in order to snap the line. The splice held. He'll be adding one to my line next. Got a call from the old man at 5pm. Had a eight point 2 miles out a logging road with no vehicle access. Eric and I went down and drug it out for him. Poor guy'd been dragging that buck since two this afternoon. Good day.

Are you a Certified Arborist. $100 consulting fee for what?

Beastmaster and I pruned a big Ash. Since I have been running this business the last 2 years it is the first time I ever climbed a tree with another climber. Two men in a tree sure makes work go quicker!

Wow a hack beaner , what a terrible thing to say since , its official I don't like em...

Thanks! Don't even know where all the hate came from, apparently he has a complex or a guilty conscience, ya know, gets on here, acts as if he is perfect, runs off at the mouth. Actually calls me a hack! Which is like the lowest insult.
But then says no need to stir it up. Comical, LMFAO!
I was going to blast again, but I have lost interest!

Well brotha's, gonna go top a tree.........................
:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Back