whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7 hrs. to change light bulbs at the town basketball court. It was only 6 poles but they hadn't been changed in 20 years so lots of broken bolts. The only access, other than climbing, was with my towable spotted with my mini skid and even that came down to less than foot of clearance. All I had to do was spot the lift and position the electrician from the ground. Boring, but easy money and I still had enough energy left to whack the stormed damaged center lead out of an ash tree. Some of the light ballasts were shot so it looks like more of the same next week.
Phil

Yep. bad assed thunderstorms rolled through yesterday evening. 130,000 outages in the state. Three calls from customers already last night. I noticed two other trees that I had just looked at failed already (haven't heard on them yet). People are remembering their treeguys now!! hahaha.

Yep. bad assed thunderstorms rolled through yesterday evening. 130,000 outages in the state. Three calls from customers already last night. I noticed two other trees that I had just looked at failed already (haven't heard on them yet). People are remembering their treeguys now!! hahaha.

Hell yeah bud! Be safe out there.

We're just getting caught up from the storm here 2 weeks ago and that was nothing compared to what it sounds like you got going on.

Hell yeah bud! Be safe out there.

We're just getting caught up from the storm here 2 weeks ago and that was nothing compared to what it sounds like you got going on.

A split maple at the church next to the job up town last saturday landed right on this lady's suv (I got pics). Nothing too dramatic, but some good damage. The church guy said "that sounds reasonable, I have to put it before the board, of course", when I gave him my price. I warned him that tree wasn't waiting... maybe god dont like cheap bastards either! hahaha.

Gotta get moving. Later.

A split maple at the church next to the job up town last saturday landed right on this lady's suv (I got pics). Nothing too dramatic, but some good damage. The church guy said "that sounds reasonable, I have to put it before the board, of course", when I gave him my price. I warned him that tree wasn't waiting... maybe god dont like cheap bastards either! hahaha.

Gotta get moving. Later.

That oak I was telling you about is apparently still standing but surprise, surprise, HO called after the storm last night and wants to discuss my price.

Weather have been really nice here, but that dont mean bad trees will be safe. Helped friend to do this job and in pocess we picked up 3 more in same neighbourhood. 7 spruces to take down tomorrow got to do some estimates sunday - got to hit it while its hot; oh and passed the test and got my pesticide, poisons test and got the cerificate to use and sell them - that took 3 days too to get done

View attachment 186812View attachment 186813View attachment 186814View attachment 186815

Today I bought a Steiner 430 Max ...

I just bought a Steiner 430 Max with a slip scoop and stump grinder attachment. I've been passing up too much stump grinding work selling flush cuts on the stump instead.

I usually trash a chain or two doing it so I figured offering stump grinding will be another profit center for me. I've already sold $1600 of work for it in my first day of offering grinding stumps.

I've always heard that stump grinding is where old climbers go to stay in the business when they can no longer climb. The Stiener is being delivered on my 64th birthday. Am I getting ready to hang up my spurs?

1.jpg

[video=youtube;YL7QmlHDMg8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL7QmlHDMg8&feature=player_embedded#at=14[/video]

Last edited:
Dang! That Steiner looks tough enough to rip stumps outta the ground with a loop of chain! Congrats on your purchase!

I don't think you are ready to hang up your spurs just yet. Treework keeps you young except the last removal I just did is making me feel kinda old! LOL!:msp_thumbup:

Dang! That Steiner looks tough enough ... I don't think you are ready to hang up your spurs just yet. Treework keeps you young except the last removal I just did is making me feel kinda old! LOL!:msp_thumbup:

Mine is outfitted with aggressive turf tires and I'll probably be adding the "dualies" kit which makes it 8 wheel drive! Note that it is an articulated tractor, steered by a hinge in the middle like a wheel loader.

Secondary application is hauling brush and logs to the chipper and dump truck ~ can your stump grinder do that? lol ~ I can't wait to put this baby in service.

The past few 90 degree+ days have made me feel older too, I'm done lifting logs and dragging brush.

nice machine only problem is ACCESSIBILITY!!! also anyone who has ran a non-dedicated stump machine: meaning that the stumper is an attachment knows..............they suck!!!

you would have been better off with a toro dingo or similar!! & in your area..............the MT Lebanon customer will be upset beyond when you take out that 500lbs log while turning in their sod!!!

I dont know..............good luck, I just think there are better options!

LXT.................

I checked out that steiner................OMG, $13000.00 lawn mower not counting the attachments????????

good luck with that!!!

LXT.................

Steiners are actually a decent machine. My old man has one with a brush hog on front but he has a lot of mowing to do in and around trees on our land and only hits it a few times a year. It's really perfect for that. I've also used it with a log arch to forward timber out of the woods. It needs a decent trail in order to work well but it does the job. The articulation is nice. However, that stumper looks like a joke.

Steiners are actually a decent machine. My old man has one with a brush hog on front but he has a lot of mowing to do in and around trees on our land and only hits it a few times a year. It's really perfect for that. I've also used it with a log arch to forward timber out of the woods. It needs a decent trail in order to work well but it does the job. The articulation is nice. However, that stumper looks like a joke.

Nah its perfect for those huge azalea stumps that my 352 has a hard time with .... That machine reminds me of a mini sneaker for pulling irrigation line ... Its official I may be doing it all wrong ...

This tractor is designed to not damage lawns...

nice machine only problem is ACCESSIBILITY!!! ...the MT Lebanon customer will be upset beyond when you take out that 500lbs log while turning in their sod!!!...

The 36" gate will be a problem, but that machine will go places no dedicated grinder will ever get to, even a walk behind. It's certified to mow on a 30 degree slope in any direction. It's an awesome all terrain vehicle.

It's design, being articulated, means that it does zero turf damage because the wheels always follow in each other's track when turning it has low pressure tires, and with the dualies option it exerts less than 4 psi on the turf. The tractor pictured above has Agro tires, but mine is coming with turf tires.

I chose it because of the finely manicured lawns it will soon be going over in Mt. Lebanon, Upper St. Clair, Fox Chapel and Sewickley (all very upscale Pittsburgh neighborhoods).

$20K Lawn Mower that doesn't mow?

I checked out that steiner...OMG, $13000.00 lawn mower not counting the attachments????????...

List price on mine was $16,155.00 with stump grinder and slip scoop it came to just over $20k. I saved some money by not buying a mower deck for it, although they have numerous options for those, as well as many other nifty attachments.

So I bought a lawn mower that doesn't mow, what was I thinking?

Aerial it sounds like you did your research before buying. My friend Rick has a Carlton tracked grinder with the 70 hp Deutz and he uses a 40 hp Multitrac, its an Italian built articulated loader with turf tires and a telescoping bucket that makes cleanup on large jobs a breeze. This was after he outgrew his Steiner. They are little tanks!

I can't wait to see if it works ...

Aerial it sounds like you did your research before buying. My friend Rick has a Carlton tracked grinder with the 70 hp Deutz and he uses a 40 hp Multitrac, its an Italian built articulated loader with turf tires and a telescoping bucket that makes cleanup on large jobs a breeze. This was after he outgrew his Steiner. They are little tanks!

Did Rick use it for stump grinding? Did he put the duelies kit on it? Adding four more wheels to it makes it almost two feet wider, but barely bends the grass going over turf.

Yes I spent a lot of agonizing Google Fu on determining what device would best suit my needs. The agony was the cost of the thing, they are not cheap, even used.

In the end it was the versatility of the Steiner that won me over, it may not be the best stump grinder ~ but it will go anywhere. It may not be the best loader ~ but it can do it, and I can transport it on a landscape trailer. It may not be the best pulling tractor ~ but it won't damage the turf doing it.

I bought a one ton capacity 4 wheel wagon with hi floatation aircraft tires to pull behind it. With that and the scoop I can haul a whole tree out of anywhere.

Last edited:
Back